Wings 3D Development Forum
Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Tutorials: Architecture approaches (/showthread.php?tid=184)

Pages: 1 2

Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Fonte Boa - 02-15-2013

Tutorial about how to use an Image Plane as reference to build an architectural model, keeping the geometry clean, without coincident vertices and unique (by welding the parts).

Main commands used:

(1) (Vertex, Edge, Face)|Flatten (mmb click)
step1: define the direction
step2: define a limit

(2) Vertex|Plane Cut (rmb click)
step1: define the faces/objects to be cut
step2: define an axis perpendicular to the wanted cut

(3) Body|Weld

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Fonte Boa - 02-15-2013

Ah, if you like it or think it is useful some way, please click on "Like" butoon at
http://www.facebook.com/wings3dchannel

I will make a few short videos just to show each of those commands (Plane Cut and Flatten especially).

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - micheus - 02-15-2013

"Liked" Smile

Fonte, you probably will make others using different Wings3D's resources. But, when you started I thought you were going to use cube in each corners and then "bridge" each other. (using the commands: duplicate along axis/BB/center on BB axis/bridge). Maybe this could be an other option?!

(02-15-2013, 11:30 AM)micheus Wrote: "Liked" Smile

Fonte, you probably will make others using different Wings3D's resources. But, when you started I thought you were going to use cube in each corners and then "bridge" each other. (using the commands: duplicate along axis/BB/center on BB axis/bridge). Maybe this could be an other option?!

To build the external walls, Bridge is really a great option (i didnt understood exactly the use you are suggesting in this case to Bounding Box): user could Duplicate (along axis) an initial cube to the 4 corners and then, by selecting the appropriate faces, Bridge then.
Even for the internal walls, you could perform this, since you position the cubes at each corner: user should put a cube at each corner of all that plant, to then Brigde the appropriate faces.

The way you are suggesting has an advantage: no need to weld objects.

It would really be great if Bridge could be performed with multiple faces simultaneously, dont you think so?!

Anyway, this was an oportunity to show those two commands in action (Plane Cut and Flatten) and how accurate they are.

-------------

It will be fine to record another video showing your approach too! It is very nice! Probably i'll be able to perform it in less than 11 minutes! Smile

Recorded, Micheus! Smile

Probably a little faster (not sure how much, since i wasnt worry about explain each step).

The fundamental was to position the cubes, duplicanting them from the existant ones: other way, if not aligned, will generate non paralel walls.

Observe i forgot one cube, so i solved the problem using my initial approach: Flatten + Plane Cut + Weld.

Another strategy to speed up the things was during the Bridge operations: to avoid a great number of camera adjustments (because Bridge just work with 2 faces each time), i selected the couples of faces from top view, using Shift to just select the faces enterely inside the marquee!!

I hope people here can help to imagine another approaches.

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - mikeao - 02-15-2013

Very good! I was asking myself the question: "can i do architectural models with Wiings3D?" just today and it is great you have posted up on this topic, just today. Smile
One question from a complete novice ( i worked my way through a wings3d tutorial 2 years ago, my total 3D experience - and fun if i remember right - so here i am again ): what format was the technical/CAD drawing you imported into wings, DXF by any chance or an image?
Ok another one: can you work with units of measurements in wings? I am going to be doing a few simple cad drawings and would like to produce a few simple 3d models directly from them, just like in your tutorial.

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Fonte Boa - 02-16-2013

Very glad here to see you liked the video. Smile

Quote:what format was the technical/CAD drawing you imported into wings, DXF by any chance or an image?
Ok another one: can you work with units of measurements in wings? I am going to be doing a few simple cad drawings and would like to produce a few simple 3d models directly from them

1. At video i didnt imported any drawing from cad: what you are seeing there is just an image to be a reference. All the rest was made using just Wings tools. I had contact with CAD many years ago: you can discover if it is able to export in ai (adobe illustrator) or ps / eps formats. If so, WIngs is able to import them (of course we have to test it). Do you work with CAD or which application?

2. Measurements in Wings: the answer may seem strange, but 1 WU (Wings Unit) is equal to 1 m, 1 cm, 1 km or anything you want!! Smile You just have to keep this in mind. The formula is that!

If i can be useful to your Wings learning, just ask what you want to know: it is a personal pleasure to teach what i learned one day.

EDIT: According a quick google, CAD can export esp. It is able to export 3DS too (Wings is able to import it, but i think it would be already a 3d elevation of your model). And, of course, CAD can export an image of your project: and, as you see in video, this image can be used as reference to build a 3d model.

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - mikeao - 02-16-2013

Hi, thanks for your interest.
I am just trying to find one program to learn at the moment, but believe it or not i will be hand draughting to begin with. Smile
So a non-electronic pencil - and paper, are my tools of choice right now.
QCAD is what i am thinking of getting for straight 2D work, and FreeCAD i have been looking at which is 2D/3D and looks better all the time ( it is still under development ).

I just want to do some simple 3D models that are based on construction drawings, obviously keeping the dimensions and modeling the 3D part fairly accurately. I like the feel of wings3d so i will stick with it and see how much work is envolved to make some 3d models from CAD drawings/images. Looks quite encouraging Smile Wings and freecad i think and maybe blender.

First 2d drawings though. That is the way my head is wired at the moment.

If you can scanner some of these 2d pencil drawings, you will be able to use them in Wings to build an accurate 3d model using them as reference. I intend to record another video showing the simultaneous use of three images as references (front, top, left). You can find many of them in internet: just google "blueprints".
I like so much http://www.the-blueprints.com.

I found an interesting chair planes and i am modelling it here: maybe i record a video about. Bend command will be used to modelling the metal structure.

[Image: Cinema_sizes.jpg]

[Image: cityoffice_biroja_kresls_cinema_chair_04_3347.jpg]

What do you think about?