Wings 3D Development Forum
Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Tutorials: Architecture approaches (/showthread.php?tid=184)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Dom - 02-21-2013

It sure looks like the kind of educational project that I could have benefited when I launched Wings3d for the first time. So I'd say: go for it, yeah!

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Fonte Boa - 02-21-2013

Thanks for the kind words, Dom. Smile

----------

While i dont record that couch modelling video, i recorded a new one, just to show in details the tools used in the "Architecture 1" video:
( a ) Flatten (to a point along an axis) (mmb option)
( b ) Plane Cut (by selecting elements to be cut and an axis perpendicular to the cuts) (rmb option)
( c ) Weld

No audio, some screen annotations: i hope it can be useful.

If you like it, i hope you can take a minute to go to wings3dchannel facebook profile to click on "Like" button:
this will aid to grow the wings3d community visibility. Thanks in advanced:
http://www.facebook.com/wings3dchannel

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - ignominius - 02-22-2013

Thank you Fonte Boa for the tutorial. I learned a lot more about Wings from it than I knew before and learned something about architecture.

If you have any more of those kinds of tutorials planned I'd love to see them.

BTW I've also 'liked' them on your channel

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - ignominius - 02-23-2013

Hi guys, I have a question about the flatten tool. First off I'm using wings3d 1.4.1. I tried following the tutorial in the video but when I tried to use the flatten tool, it didn't appear to work in the same way at all. I got a small menu with x,y and z options, last axis and region. No matter whether I used a one, two or three button mouse I could not get it to work in the way the tutorial was showing.

Can someone enlighten me as to where I'm going wrong....as it's really frustrating the life out of me!

Thanks from an improving Noobie!

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Fonte Boa - 02-23-2013

It is not hard, once you got the way.

So follow the steps and ever verify the Info Line (at Wings botton left side) instructions:

(1) Select the elements you want to flatten (can be one or more vertices, faces or edges)

(2) Click on Flatten command with middle mouse button and lets begin a 2 step operation:

---->(2a) Click on an element (it can be one or more vert, edge or face; usually a edge is more common) to define the direction in which the selection will be flattened: you will see an arrow indicating the direction. If the element you click doesnt define the direction you want (the arrow isnt pointing to the direction you want), and you just see this after select the element, dont worry, you can press spacebar to deselect all an try again: this wont interrupt the operation and you can try to select another element, ok?! Try until you find an element that define that direction (until the arrow points to the direction you want to flatten the selected elements). Ah!, while you are trying, Info Line are showing you: "Pick Axis". After you find it, click with right mouse button to continue (this infomation is being shown at Info Line too).

---->(2b) Now, the second step: click on an element (as before) that defines the point at which the flatten will happened (you already defined the direction, and no you are defining a limit). Like before, when you select anything you will see a green point, that represents that limit. You can experiment any element and, if you not it isnt exactly what you want, you can press spacebar to unselect all, without interrupt the operations, and try again. Ah, Info Line shows you: "Pick Point". After you find it, click with right mouse button to continue (this infomation is being shown at Info Line too).

Please, let me know if you had success; if not, let me know what was wrong. There are a few tricks i want to teach you, but before i would like to know if you got it. Could you try the above steps and report the results here?

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Fonte Boa - 02-23-2013

Ah, very important, ignominius: maybe this can be the problem.
When you make a selection to be flattened and right click to call context selection, DONT CLICK ON FLATTEN FIRST WITH LEFT MOUSE BUTTON (this way you will see those options Normal, x, y, z etc). CLICK DIRECTLY ON IT WITH RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON.

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - mikeao - 02-23-2013

(02-16-2013, 05:31 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: I found an interesting chair planes and i am modelling it here: maybe i record a video about. Bend command will be used to modelling the metal structure.

[Image: Cinema_sizes.jpg]

[Image: cityoffice_biroja_kresls_cinema_chair_04_3347.jpg]

What do you think about?

I think that is a great idea! The architectural tutorials, and discussions about using wings with scale drawings are very helpful. :-)

Architecture 3a - Fonte Boa - 02-23-2013

For the next video, i'll post some few short prior videos, showing the commands and workflows i'll use.

This initial one shows two different approaches to build corners, both of them using Flatten along axis to a point (middle mouse button option). At the end of both ones, i just welded the parts to show how exactly Wings performed the operations. Smile The first method was already shown at anterior Archictect videos, the second one will be involved at next video and generates a different result (better in my opinion).

No audio, no annotations. All the time, i put the cursor above the Info Line, so that user can see Wings instructions.

At video, i ever click on Flatten using middle mouse button
(Flatten along an axis to an specific point):
this is a two step command (you have to specify a direction, "axis", and a limit, "point"), so you have to keep an eye on Info Line (at botton of Wings workspace). Smile

Any feedback is really appreciated.

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - ignominius - 02-23-2013

(02-23-2013, 03:00 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: Ah, very important, ignominius: maybe this can be the problem.
When you make a selection to be flattened and right click to call context selection, DONT CLICK ON FLATTEN FIRST WITH LEFT MOUSE BUTTON (this way you will see those options Normal, x, y, z etc). CLICK DIRECTLY ON IT WITH RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON.

Thanks FB I've got it now....RMB followed by MMB , that was where I was going wrong. I've always opened the menus with a left click!

RE: Tutorials: Architecture approaches - Fonte Boa - 02-25-2013

Glad you got it, ignominius. Smile

-----

This short video now is focused in a first approach about how to produce soft curves. There are various, but i began by showing this because it is really the simplest one: Circularise by picking a plane (right mouse button option).

User has to select paralel edge loops and click on Circularise command with right mouse button: then just pick a plane according to which to execute the command.

Not so efficient and exact as Bend or Sweep ones (different approaches), but very confortable to produce soft curves, not very accute.

Any feedback is appreciated.