Wings 3D Development Forum
[fixed] Performance - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [fixed] Performance (/showthread.php?tid=1922)

Pages: 1 2

[fixed] Performance - Marcin Maćkowiak - 04-28-2016

Hey there,

Am I the only one who has the problem with performance but after some time spend in Wings? When I`m starting new project there is no problem but after some time it is getting laggy (slow rotation, draging, RMB dialog box doesn`t show up so fast, for FACE selection especially etc.) but after reopen wings and project it`s again fresh and ready to work. Ofc models are lowpoly. I have the same problem for all 2.0 versions.

I tried to change undo levels, anti-aliasing without effects.
Any advice?

Windows 7 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M
Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
16GB RAM
all drivers installed

RE: Performance - cyseal - 04-28-2016

I have Win 10, 8gb RAM and I didn't noticed it.
How long till you are getting lag and how many faces did you have at that time?

RE: Performance - dgud - 04-28-2016

Hmm, interesting, I have not seen that but then I do not model for long only testing what I'm developing
at the moment and starting/stopping wings all the time.

Can you see if the memory increases, over time?
After Edit/Purge Undo History

RE: Performance - micheus - 04-28-2016

Marcin Maćkowiak, we have a similar configuration for the PC:
Windows 10 64-bit
AMD Radeon R9 280X
Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
16GB RAM

As cyseal asked, about how many polys we are talking?
I can work with a poly count of 100K (100K faces, 200K edges, 100K vertex) with a small lag in some operations, but that is constant. The memory doesn't increase without an action.
The things you reported doesn't happen (slow rotation, draging, RMB dialog box doesn`t show up so fast, for FACE selection especially etc.).
I can Select->by Randon->60% (faces) and it's fast and use move-normal which for this amount of polys it's better use the Input dialog and it works fast in this case.

You can use the Task Manager - in the Process tab and follow the memory load caused by erl.exe in order to check what dgud asked for.

dgud, something really strange and maybe it's causing what Marcin Maćkowiak has been experienced would be the great amount of memory used when the main context menu is displayed (for example, with some faces selected). It takes a few seconds to be displayed and in the Task Manager I can see the memory used by erl.exe goes from 370MB to 5.8GB and at some point I got it reach 11GB!!! It's not a exact amount but it's more than we would to expect.

Also, how many time should take to garbage collect free the unused memory?
I pushed the model to 400K faces. The amount of memory used by erl.exe was around 1.38GB. The undo history had 18 levels saved, then I purged them. After 15min the memory usage was still 1.29GB. I was expecting less.

I saved the model and the memory usage increased and stayed in 1.59GB, then I used the option File->New, which I would expect to get all this memory free, but again it remained untouched. Five minutes and nothing.

I exit Wings3d and restart it (75MB used) and then I loaded the 400K faces object and got 550MB of memory used.
Shouldn't be a value close of this I must get after purge the history?

RE: Performance - dgud - 04-29-2016

Micheus you that have development tools available, can use observerConfusedtart() to see where the memory
is being used (or lost). The second tab (and the third) displays a memory usage TAB.

Not everything is displayed there, some is allocated in OpenGL and in wxWidgets,
but it could help pinpoint the problem. Though using it stresses the gui even more though.

RE: Performance - Marcin Maćkowiak - 04-29-2016

Thanks for your reply.
I need some time to test it. I will give you feed back in an haur.

OK so...

legend:
F - Faces
V - Vertex
O - Object
E - Edges

Started with 7000 faces - uses 200MB (memory)
I made some addons polygons and achived 100K faces - uses 260MB (memory)
Lagy but i can still play around without problems.
RMB dialog box for O/V/E - no problem with memory still 260MB with dialogbox open.
RMB dialog box for F - 900MB with dialogbox open.

Project saved. I exit Wings3d and restart it, Project loaded (100K) - 260MB
Rotation, draging etc. looks fresh and no lagy.
RMB dialog box for O/V/E - no problem with memory still 260MB with dialogbox open.
RMB dialog box for F - 360MB with dialogbox open.

I have added some polys - 500K faces - uses 470MB memory
Lagy but I can say it is normal for such a faces.
RMB dialog box for O/V/E - no problem with memory 550MB with dialogbox open.
RMB dialog box for F - over 5GB with dialogbox open.

Project saved. I exit Wings3d and restart it, Project loaded (500K) - 400MB
Rotation, draging etc. looks better and not so much lagy.
RMB dialog box for F - over 1,7GB with dialogbox open.
I made extrude option twice for one of the face (nothing special) and memory jumped over 4,2GB for F selection. After wings restart It is 1,5GB.

I made 4 extrudes, 3 undo levels and when I tried RMB dialog box Wings3d get "NO RESPOND" and over 13GB memory Blush

Anyway one day I made 80K project left It minimized on my computer and after 2 hours when I came back to work around It was laggy as is`t before.

What do you thing about It? Is it normal that face selection needs more memory? And do you thing that Wings3d after some time needs to be restarted?

RE: Performance - micheus - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 05:51 AM)dgud Wrote: Micheus you that have development tools available, can use observerConfusedtart() to see where the memory is being used (or lost).
I'm going to find a time to take a look this weekend. Today is a busy day.

(04-29-2016, 07:35 AM)Marcin Maćkowiak Wrote: Anyway one day I made 80K project left It minimized on my computer and after 2 hours when I came back to work around It was laggy as is`t before
Marcin Maćkowiak, thanks for extra tests.
Yeah, it seems to be related to Face mode only - that is good since we know where to start to look for - and what you have observed would be related to the Auto-Save feature since after save the project I also noticed a small increment of memory - not so huge -, but after 2hours if it's repeated each 10minutes or less...

So, until we discover what is happening it's a good idea keep the auto-save enabled and/or save your project after each important step has been done. Wink

RE: Performance - dgud - 04-30-2016

Thanks guys, it gives something to start testing and looking into.

Marcin do you have all faces selected when doing RMB-menu, or is it few faces?
I'm wondering if it is the menu calculation or the face selection drawing that is the actual problem.

RE: Performance - micheus - 04-30-2016

In my observations the memory starts to increase just after hitting RMB and stops when the menu is displayed.

RE: Performance - dgud - 05-01-2016

Menu issue confirmed and severe, duplicates memory of the model with selection I will have to think
about that.

Thanks for the bug-report.