Wings 3D Development Forum
[not a bug] Hotkey hotkey not working - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [not a bug] Hotkey hotkey not working (/showthread.php?tid=1927)

[not a bug] Hotkey hotkey not working - Siber - 05-01-2016

Maybe it's just that the procedure has changed in ways I'm not understanding, but I can't get the hotkey assignment hotkeys to work. Also I'd really like to change what the hotkey assignment hotkey is and I can't figure out how to do that.

RE: Hotkey hotkey not working - micheus - 05-02-2016

Yes, it was changed in the recent 2.0.* versions. Check the main menu Help->How to define hotkeys

RE: Hotkey hotkey not working - Siber - 05-02-2016

I read that help box and tried to follow it's directions multiple times in multiple ways to no avail before posting. However it works now, I'm failing to understand it or it's not working. Very frustrating, as the old way was perfectly fine to me and one of my favorite things about wings.

It needs to be done this way since we are now using the wxWidget library instead of the SDL as GUI.

It's not too hard. We just need to pay attention to the information line.
Also, we just need to remember about the Help menu option with the information telling us how we can set/unset a hotkeys. Wink

(05-02-2016, 03:22 PM)Siber Wrote: However it works now, I'm failing to understand it or it's not working.
I was playing with hotkeys today again and I noticed that for some menu options the hotkey for LMB wasn't shown, although it was set and working. (that's a new bug)

It was the case for Shift command. So, maybe that was what you noticed before. What do you think?

I figured it out, the help box was not initially getting it through to me that you have to use the assignment hotkey before opening the menus at all, rather than the old way of finding the option and then pressing the hotkey. The solution here would probably be a change to that help text, though I don't off the cuff have a suggestion on what to change it to.

(05-02-2016, 10:25 PM)Siber Wrote: The solution here would probably be a change to that help text
Siber, the text is in accord with the actions we have to do to get the hotkey set Rolleyes
Code:
To assign a hotkey to a command:
1. Press Ctrl+Insert or Ctrl+8 key.
2. Select (with the correct mouse button) the menu item of the command
3. The information line asks you to press the key that the command should be assigned to.
what do you think is wrong?

Now that I understand the process the instructions make perfect sense, and do obviously state the differences. But people more often than not hear or read what they expect to. For a process that has changed in a fairly subtle but important way, the tendency to skim what you think you already understand must be accounted for. Evidence: My own difficulty here. I'd recommend specifically calling out how the process has changed for veterans. If nobody else does I may try my hand at alternate instructions in a bit.

RE: Hotkey hotkey not working - dgud - 05-03-2016

Please do.