Wings 3D Development Forum
[fixed] Still having troubles hotkeying CONNECT CUT cmd. - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [fixed] Still having troubles hotkeying CONNECT CUT cmd. (/showthread.php?tid=1950)

Pages: 1 2

[fixed] Still having troubles hotkeying CONNECT CUT cmd. - ggaliens - 05-10-2016

RE: Wings-2.0.4
I'm looking to speed up the testing of the newest connect cuts. I've got this in my prefs file ...
{{bindkey,99},{vertex,connect_cuts},user}.
{{bindkey,104},{edge,{hardness,hard}},user}.

But for whatever reason little c does not map to connect_cuts. I think I needed to recompile the 2.0.3 version of code to put connect_cuts as first (LMB) rather than CTRL+RMB. But to me ... that does not make a whole lot of sense since the keypress should just find the proper command tuple once it is in the prefs file. Why would it care a all about mouse buttons after it has been assigned ?

My asserstion is that once the bindkey has happened in the prefs file ... the menu system should be a moot point. Hotkey should bypass menus altogether.

So far connect cuts additional refinements seem OK ... but it takes a very large sample space to test this new command. I'll do more testing. Thanks for continuing work on this to make it better.

RE: Still having troubles hotkeying CONNECT CUT cmd. - micheus - 05-10-2016

I don't use to change/reuse/remove the default hotkeys set by Wings3d, so - by doing that now - it seems like the problem is related to them. You can try bind any other command and you will not have problems.

So, by now, you can try to use a modify key + [c] - they are supposedly not in use yet.

RE: Still having troubles hotkeying CONNECT CUT cmd. - ggaliens - 05-11-2016

Dan ... can you bind a hot key to your new connect cut ?

I would suggest that anyone who CAN GET IT DONE ... working hotkey for this command ...
can then PASTE the line item from Preference.txt ... into this thread. And so long as it's not a duplicate binding ... it should work for me on my PC.

Let's TEST THIS OUT ... in a simple way. If we can agree on what is broken or could be better ... I have plenty of time to look at this.

RE: Still having troubles hotkeying CONNECT CUT cmd. - micheus - 05-11-2016

a little bit of more information...

Starting from the version 2.0.2 the hotkey system is not allowing any key assigned to a command by default by Wings3d to be 'deleted' (unbind).

So, change the bidden key to a command to another command should be done deleting the old one and reassigning the key to the new command is impossible at this moment.

Try to "override" the key will not work too.

For you (as a coding), the default hotkey are inserted in the ets list (wings_state) in the initialization of the its module, before the preferences be processed, so the first command found for a pressed key will always be the first one in the list - the default one, not the user one.

Something to be reviewed and fixed.

OK ... the default bindings don't appear in the preferences.txt file ? (I think they should).

Is that the case ?

I also tried binding x. I think you are saying I should try a modifier key to add a bit of specificity (less change of override).

Let me try some more things.

I did get CTRL+I to bind to this command. First I bind it to flatten. Don't ask why ... just because. Then I edit the preferences file and mix and match the bind tuples as needed to make CTRL+I wort with my command. SO at least it can work.

(05-11-2016, 02:43 PM)ggaliens Wrote: OK ... the default bindings don't appear in the preferences.txt file ? (I think they should).
You must know it's hard coded.

Quote:I also tried binding x. I think you are saying I should try a modifier key to add a bit of specificity (less change of override).
Yes. you can temporary define [shift]+[c] to connect cut - it will work - I already tried it many times.

About what I in the last post - related to ets order - that was wrong. The problem is a little more complex to track and I had follow only part of the steps. Just use another hotkey for now.

OK ... at the very least ... we have a dialog asking ...

"Do you want to redefine it?"

And then when I say yes. It doesn't work. If the rule is that you cannot redefine ... then we should make the question go away and provide just an "admonishment" message.

At the very least ... if a fix is not know ... we should identify and agree on a proper behavior for next release ? A good goal to work on ?

(05-11-2016, 03:12 PM)ggaliens Wrote: "Do you want to redefine it?"

And then when I say yes. It doesn't work.
It worked in the past, so that should happen after a fix be applied.

Fixed!
The file for replacement is here: wings_hotkey.beam

It must replace the old file that can be found in some place like this: C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.0.4\lib\wings-2.0.4\ebin

ggaliens, just before you ask for..., you will not be able to see the hotkey text for the MMB and/or RMB in the menu item. tkbd already talked about that in this thread. We are think about a solution (for the next release maybe)

RE: Still having troubles hotkeying CONNECT CUT cmd. - ggaliens - 05-16-2016

OK ... but in a couple words ... what is fixed ? what is the new behavior that was broke and now works ? I was able to get it working when I used a hot key that was not pre-defined ... default defined. I just think that if I'm editing the Preferences.txt and can see an assignment ... that assignment should be taken as "word of law" or the code that reads Preferences.txt should say that it can't be taken as work of law.

If you need be to test you .beam file ... I can / will do it. I just need to know exactly what to test for.