Wings 3D Development Forum
Compiling Wings3D in OSX - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Compiling Wings3D in OSX (/showthread.php?tid=1998)

Compiling Wings3D in OSX - alelepd - 06-12-2016

Hello there!

I am very new to Wings3D,

I am a User Interface designer and I want to help with Wings 3D UI. I am not a developer though, so I found very hard to compile source on OSX.

My goal is to create a redesigned version of Wings 3D, including new brand logo, icons and a new theme.

This is a personal project and challenge for me as a designer and it requires to use a modeling app (wings 3d) that I am not used to work with so I can have the perception of a new user which is learning from the very first time to use the app and therefore create a better path to improve the user interface.

I will need to set up a development environment on my mac and be able to see the progress I made on the design but so far the compiling process always fail.

I already installed erlang and rebar with homebrew. I also set up the ERB_LIBS path to home/me/src and there is the cl folder which I already compiled with rebar compile. I also put the wings-2.0.4 folder in home/me/src, but I think I am missing some steps in the way. This is the error I got when trying "make macosx" or just "make"

Code:
make macosx
(cd intl_tools; /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make)
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make TYPE=opt common
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `common'.
(cd src; /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make)
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make TYPE=opt common
erlc -Werror -I ../e3d +debug_info '-Dwings_version="2.0.4"' -pa ../intl_tools  -o../ebin wings_cl.erl
wings_cl.erl:15: can't find include lib "cl/include/cl.hrl"
wings_cl.erl:61: record cl undefined
wings_cl.erl:62: record cl undefined
wings_cl.erl:63: record cl undefined
wings_cl.erl:100: record cl undefined
wings_cl.erl:101: record cl undefined
wings_cl.erl:104: record cl undefined
wings_cl.erl:115: record cl undefined
wings_cl.erl:239: record cl_image_format undefined
make[2]: *** [../ebin/wings_cl.beam] Error 1
make[1]: *** [opt] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I noticed that here in the forum are two really good guidelines to set up a development environment in Linux and Windows, I wonder if there's anything similar to set up the environment in mac OSX.

RE: Compiling Wings3D in OSX - dgud - 06-12-2016

Hmm, it seems you have done something wrong with ERL_LIBS
Basically(*) the compiler should be able to find the include file with the absolute path:
$ERL_LIBS/cl/include/cl.hrl

* ERL_LIBS might contain several directories which the compiler will try and the application
directory name may contain version number, i.e. cl-1.12/include/cl.hrl which the compiler will expand.

If you want to help out with the UI I have remade most of it on my wx-backend branch on github
so I don't want any patches on the old UI just now, I expect/hope to release the new wx-backend
before summer.

In the new branch I have changed (or will change) the icons to be PNG with alpha instead BMP with hard coded background colors.

RE: Compiling Wings3D in OSX - alelepd - 06-12-2016

Indeed, I'll check what's going on with the ERL_LIBS path, right now it seems it is fine though.

About the UI, don't worry, I am just working on a concept, I'll probably upload screenshots in another thread to receive feedback. As I said before, this is more a design experiment for me.

Thank so much! I check what you said! If someone else have a clue of why is this happening it would be great Biggrin

RE: Compiling Wings3D in OSX - alelepd - 06-12-2016

I finally solved the issue. The problem was that I miss to execute the "source" command after editing the bash profile. Before that the value of the variable was empty.

I already sucesfully compiled the .dmg file Biggrin

¡¡Thanks!!