Wings 3D Development Forum
Sometimes saving brings up an error. - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Sometimes saving brings up an error. (/showthread.php?tid=2027)

Pages: 1 2

Sometimes saving brings up an error. - ptoing - 06-25-2016

Sometimes when I save I get this error. When it happens, no matter what, it will happen again and again until I close the program and restart.

If I try to "save as" from the menu, I get a crash dump.

Code:
Dump written 2016-6-25_11-28
Version: 2.0.5
Window: geom
Reason: function_clause

Short stack trace:
[]

Long stack trace:
[{gb_trees,get_1,[163,nil],[{file,"gb_trees.erl"},{line,243}]},
{wings_facemat,renumber_1,3,
                [{file,"c:/Users/uabdgud/src/wings/src/wings_facemat.erl"},
                 {line,266}]},
{wings_we,do_renumber,3,
           [{file,"c:/Users/uabdgud/src/wings/src/wings_we.erl"},{line,655}]},
{wings_we,do_renumber,2,
           [{file,"c:/Users/uabdgud/src/wings/src/wings_we.erl"},{line,643}]},
{wings_we,renumber,2,
           [{file,"c:/Users/uabdgud/src/wings/src/wings_we.erl"},{line,258}]},
{wings_ff_wings,renumber,5,
                 [{file,"c:/Users/uabdgud/src/wings/src/wings_ff_wings.erl"},
                  {line,1314}]},
{wings_ff_wings,export,2,
                 [{file,"c:/Users/uabdgud/src/wings/src/wings_ff_wings.erl"},
                  {line,1251}]},
{wings_file,save_now,2,
             [{file,"c:/Users/uabdgud/src/wings/src/wings_file.erl"},
              {line,427}]}]

I do have 2 older versions installed. 1.5.3 and 1.1.10 (because of fbx export which I need.)

RE: Sometimes saving brings up an error. - micheus - 06-25-2016

Could you try to Cleanup the object before save?
At least "save as" a different name and load this new one and test again using it.

RE: Sometimes saving brings up an error. - ptoing - 06-25-2016

Did cleanup, saved under new name, closed wings, loaded new file, did some editing as before, tried to save normally with ctrl+s, same issue.

Oh also, just noticed. Once this occurs it says "Saving: renumbering" at the bottom, and for every save attempt it adds another ": renumbering"

ptoing, I'm seeing your image now. (it was blocked before) :/

That dialog should be shown if you try to the hotkey for save command. If you use the File menu option, does it also appears?
Can you attach your preferences.txt? (that can help me to test the hotkey issue)

About the crash I'm not sure I can reproduce without use the same scene that yours.

Whether I use the command or the shortcut does not make a difference. Also if I use save as I get the crash with the dump first.

Here is a zip with one of the files where I am having this issue and the Preferences.txt
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15588722/post/wings/savebug.zip

What I was doing on the file is just reduce geometry on the back of the letter basically and saving every now and then. Trying to keep the geo convex polygons, not necessarily tris. Not that that should matter.

Thanks. I'm going to take a look at it this night.

Cheers Smile

RE: Sometimes saving brings up an error. - micheus - 06-26-2016

ptoing, does that wings file causing the error you were experiencing?
I played with it, used save, save as,... and nothing. Undecided

I used Wings3d 2.0.5 (that appears in your dump log above) and your preferences file.

Do you have used someday the option "File->Save Preferences Subset..."? If you did that, you may have hotkey data stored in a subset of preferences that is stored in the same place as Preferences.txt file, but with the extension .pref.
I noticed in your preferences file a reference to other file:
{pref_directory,"c:/Users/ptoing/AppData/Roaming/Wings3D/backup_prefs.txt"}

The renumber issue is something that appears here sometime and use to be related to malformed mesh. You can see a sample of this here.
It's hard to discover what is happening if I can't reproduce it in my PC. Sad

As you are using (very) old version aside with the current one, I would suggest you to change Wings3D 2.0.5 shortcut (or create a new one) pointing to a different place where it should store/load its preferences file - like this:
"C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.0.5\bin\werl.exe" -run wings start_halt -extra "c:\temp"
in which "c:\temp" is a folder where the subfolder Wings3D will be created and the new preferences.txt stored.
It will bring back the Erlang console, but I don't think that it would be a problem.
If the hotkey issue is related to the many version sharing the preferences file, then this can avoid that.

RE: Sometimes saving brings up an error. - ptoing - 06-26-2016

OK, moving the preferences to a different folder with the last step you detailed does nothing. I still get the exact same error when I try to save.

I also went into the Preferences file and changed all the instances where it points to the backup_prefs.txt, still same result :/

I will try and uninstall all versions of Wings now and just install the latest one. See what happens.

EDIT:

OK, I have no clue what happened, but I tried to delete the materials in the wings file (which were not used anyway) and that resulted in not bringing up the save problems anymore in the same file. I got some more to go through, will see if the problems come up in those as well and if they go away if I delete the materials. Very odd.

RE: Sometimes saving brings up an error. - micheus - 06-26-2016

It's still a strange behaviour, anyway.
Keep us updated.Smile