Wings 3D Development Forum
A new 'slice' kind idea... - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ManifoldLab Plug-ins Collection (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: A new 'slice' kind idea... (/showthread.php?tid=208)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

A new 'slice' kind idea... - Dimitri - 02-28-2013

You have two reference loops on an object (the orange ones in the sample image below) then you click the command and, there, you have the area between the two reference loops sliced in as many pieces you want in a way as is shown in the image below... that's to say with an array of loops (the blue ones in the image) between the two initial reference loops.

I think this could be a good addition to the already existing slice tools... and a further enrichment of the modelling tools of Wings.

Share your thoughts... what do you think about such a tool?

[Image: ropeslicea.th.jpg]

RE: A new 'slice' kind idea... - Wegg - 03-01-2013

Is this like. . . a re-topology thing? How would wings know what geometry you wanted removed and what you wanted as an end result?

RE: A new 'slice' kind idea... - Dimitri - 03-01-2013

Slicing can be used as a retopo aid too, for sure... but in this case it can have a function that has a value by itself also... it is a further way of slicing an object to pieces.

There is not a matter of removing something here... it is just about dividing the space between the two initial loops with new loops arrayed in equal distances.

RE: A new 'slice' kind idea... - ggaliens - 03-01-2013

I like it. I think my sculptor buddy will also like it.

RE: A new 'slice' kind idea... - ggaliens - 03-01-2013

So I will do it soon. Thanks for the idea.

But ... when i think about this a little bit ...
I think it is already in ManifoldLab. Most things are only a few steps
away from being done when you have ManifoldLab.

Dimitri ... a loop is just a SLICE ... and a SLICE just a two sided object. And an object something easily repositioned in Wings3D ... and things repositioned can be grouped ... and grouped faces can be used as a multi slicer.

The best way to proceed is to make "INTERPOLATE PLATES" or "INTERPOLATE SLICES"

which would simply take two two "FLAT OBJECTS" and interpolate one to the other positionally.
It might even alternate them if they were not the same nearly flat object.

In this what you finish with a multi-purpose TOOL that can directly facilitate the result you want at your leisure.

RE: A new 'slice' kind idea... - Dimitri - 03-02-2013

'a loop is just a SLICE ... and a SLICE just a two sided object'

Mark I do understand what you say but... for having properly arrayed slices first we need to have the properly positioned loops... the idea here is about creating those properly positioned loops first (I mean the loops between the two initial ones- the roughly sketched blue ones in the sample image). In fact the idea here is not only for creating slices but for creating loops positioned in such a way too (having the loops someone can create the slices simply, by loop cutting them... so there is not even the necessity to add a 'cut' option to such a command).

RE: A new 'slice' kind idea... - ggaliens - 03-02-2013

6 hours into this already. With a very nice result.

I have cleaned up my POLARIZE objects command. Seems unrelated ... but it most certainly is not that unrelated.

In order to polarize an object ... one must first have very good code to devine the LONG axis or the flat axis for an object. Same might be done for an arbitrary vertex collection. I will reuse this to place slicer objects. Slice object don't have to CUT as you have pointed out ... but can be used to make loops.

Wings3D does not have this code ... I don't think. But now manifold lab has it ... (better than it did last month) and it is working so very well.

You must trust me when I say taking the indirect way will yield more fruit.
It is very good so far. Once the fruit bowl is full ... you can tell me what is you favorites and I'll wash and polish.

What you want is coming Dimitri. I know exactly what you want from you picture of course.

WOOO !!! Thanks Dimitri.

RE: A new 'slice' kind idea... - Dimitri - 03-02-2013

Thanks from me too Mark... for all your so precious contribution to Wings' further development... : - )

RE: A new 'slice' kind idea... - Dimitri - 03-08-2013

Just adding an array of images illustrating the idea in a better way... as it is evident first we have two loops on an object, then we do give the command and, there, we do have the new loops between the two initial loops, in equal distances... the third image shows the sliced object exploded:

[Image: ropesliceb.th.jpg]

RE: A new 'slice' kind idea... - puzzledpaul - 03-08-2013

Going to be interesting to see the approach taken to allow user to define the 2 datum loops in non-trivial situations ...

pp