Wings 3D Development Forum
screenshot and openGL screengrab - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: screenshot and openGL screengrab (/showthread.php?tid=2114)

screenshot and openGL screengrab - jojowings - 08-23-2016

Hello to all. I'm an old 3d modeller that generally use a pletora of software. (zbrush,maya,cinema4d,alias etc). Lately I was asked to prepare some lessons and so my vision is that I prefer to teach the fundamentals of 3d poly modelling in a "universal" way instead of being softwre specific. I was searching for a lighweight, powerful and complete modeller and so I reconsider to use wing3d (already used a looot of time ago). My aspectative were not betrayed since I still believe that for polymodelling wings 3d can rival with more blasoned competitors.
I've seen that there is the options for exporting eps and thats great for preparing notes and printed materials. I can upscale to whatever I prefer, while for the screenshot (that I need to explain how I'm modelling the objs) I'm limited to the screen resolution. I know I can use a retina monitor, but I need to go really high (almost printed quality 600 dpi). Is there a workaround for obtaining it ? can I create an eps of what I see on the screen (so with colored faces, selection gizmo etc ?). Does a generic solution exist for opengl application that I can use as a workaround ? Thanks in advance for your reply and If anyone can helping me figure it out I promise I will send a copy of the book once it's finished. Otherwise I need to go back to proprietary software Sad (blender not an alternative for this, I've tried a lot of options but wings3d work better)
Giorgio

RE: screenshot and openGL screengrab - jojowings - 08-29-2016

Also a way for grabbing a screenshot with higher res like in maya playback will be very wellcome ! Pls Help

RE: screenshot and openGL screengrab - micheus - 08-30-2016

(08-23-2016, 11:28 AM)jojowings Wrote: Is there a workaround for obtaining it ? can I create an eps of what I see on the screen (so with colored faces, selection gizmo etc ?). Does a generic solution exist for opengl application that I can use as a workaround ?
Giorgio, sorry, but the answer is "no" for all your questions.
Maybe a stupid questions, but using a graphic software cannot you increase the dpi with a good result?

RE: screenshot and openGL screengrab - jojowings - 08-30-2016

You cannot increase DPI using external application as it is specified by the guidelines that publishers gave you when you write a book Sad (or also for journals) I've tried lot of alternatives (increased screen resolution like the retina one, a screengrabber like fraps, searching for a opengl grabber, etc) but the only perfect solution out of the box is a mix of maya playback + manual importing and tracing stuff. Having such a feature could also help in having print quality screengrab. I offer a free copy of my upcoming book if anyone can help Wink

If you cannot change the dpi via software, how big must be the resolution to accommodate such images. It seems like using 96dpi as reference you would need a resolution 6.25 times bigger.

I use 4k resolution in playback even if I have the problem that lines look a bit too thin so I use to paint above the thinner lines.

and a 4K resolution isn't enough to grab the screen image?
about the thin lines, you can change them in the Preferences->General tab.

It's a start even if 4k is the minimum resolution. a way to safe the viewport in a vector format would do the trick Smile btw thanks for helping I really think w3d is a great software and that's why I would like to use it in my book Wink