Wings 3D Development Forum
[FIXED] v2.0.5 Collada Export problem (Smoothing groups) - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [FIXED] v2.0.5 Collada Export problem (Smoothing groups) (/showthread.php?tid=2119)

[FIXED] v2.0.5 Collada Export problem (Smoothing groups) - ArabellaJones - 08-26-2016

I found this after some problems importing meshes into Second Life, which uses the collada format for mesh import. You don't need access to Second Life to see the problem, as it also affects data export/import from Wing3D 2.0.5 to Blender v2.77a, which can successfully export into a complete collada file which feeds into Second Life.

First step: Second Life is a game-like environment which prefers low triangle-count meshes to render drames in reasonable time. One way to greatly reduce the triangle count is to use Auto-Smooth in Wings3D, or use similar tools in other programs.

The Collada files produced by the Wings3D export function does not contain this data

Second step: export the data in both Collada and Wavefront formats. Both files can be imported by Blender v2.77. The Collada file shows an unsmoothed mesh. The Wavefront format shows a smoothed mesh.

Step three: Both models were exported from Blender as Collada files without any editing being done. It was a simple mouse-click of Import and Export in the File menu. nothing more. When imported into Second Life, the version which had passed through the Wings3D Collada export was unsmoothed, as you'd expect, while the version that had successfully exported the smoothing data from Wings3D, was smoothed.

My conclusion is that the Wings3D Collada export is not preserving smoothing groups and associated data. This is not really a surprise, since you don't get the option to discard it, as you do for other data formats. Passing the data through Blender via another file format works, but it's rather intimidating.

I think this needs fixing.

Note 1: This sort of smoothing has become more important since Second Life has introduced a system that shows users when things have been made in a way complicated to render. This has shown that there are a lot of meshes with a very high triangle count.

Note 2: Some people have, in the past, said that doing UV mapping is necessary to get the smoothing data exported. I have not been able to find any difference.

RE: v2.0.5 Collada Export problem (Smoothing groups) - dgud - 09-25-2016

That is a problem, I will take a look at it.

RE: v2.0.5 Collada Export problem (Smoothing groups) - dgud - 10-12-2016

Should be fixed in next version.

RE: [FIXED] v2.0.5 Collada Export problem (Smoothing groups) - ArabellaJones - 10-26-2016

Thanks for this. I had a few real-life distractions, but I have now tested the Development version; it's working. (This has not been a good day today, I needed something to cheer me up.)