Wings 3D Development Forum
[Fixed] Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Fixed] Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots (/showthread.php?tid=2188)

Pages: 1 2

[Fixed] Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - Siber - 10-18-2016

Windows 10 system, I have two hard drives, C and D. Wings 2.x(I have tried multiple versions up to and including 2.1) will not save or load anything from the root directory of my D drive, trying load gets a "Read failed: no such file or directory" message, and trying to save gets a silent failure. Trying to import an image gets a "Failed to load [filename]: unknown POSIX error".

But wait, it gets weirder! Firstly, saving to and loading from the root of C works fine(so long as I run as admin to avoid permissions issues). Second of all, if I copy an existing wings 2.1 file to D:\ I can open it. I can't import objs from D:\ still in that case. However, I can save from wings 2.1 to root so long as I am saving over an existing filename, even if it's a file I can't successfully load into wings 2.1.

Everything works without complaint in every other location in D:\ that I've tried it in besides the root, and the old 1.5.4 version I have also exhibits none of these problems.

Not exactly a hard bug to work around, but it had me thinking for a while that I was instead going to have to bug report a broken OBJ importer.

Edit: And now I see that this is the 2.0.? bug reports, not 2.?. Is this topic in the wrong place?

RE: Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - micheus - 10-18-2016

(10-18-2016, 04:50 PM)Siber Wrote: Windows 10 system, I have two hard drives, C and D.
Siber, same behaviour here.
After update to Windows 10 I noticed all my drives' root (C:,D:,G: ) have grants for the Users group only for "Read & Run", "List fold content" and "Read".

You will need to edit the Security settings for the drivers in order to allow the Users group to have access to "Modify" and "Save" (or just "Full Control"). Although I don't think that could be a good idea as well as it's not a good practice store things on the drive's root.

Folder and file permissions changed in Windows 10

RE: Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - Siber - 10-18-2016

If it was a permissions issue, wouldn't it exist for the older versions of wings too? 1.5.4 has no complaints about reading or writing form my D root, even when not running it as admin. And wouldn't it apply to the root of C as well as D?

RE: Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - micheus - 10-18-2016

(10-18-2016, 07:45 PM)Siber Wrote: If it was a permissions issue, wouldn't it exist for the older versions of wings too? 1.5.4 has no complaints about reading or writing form my D root, even when not running it as admin. And wouldn't it apply to the root of C as well as D?
Probably yes. But it's Windows...
I suggest you to check those permissions and - in case confirmed the permissions issue - change they if you really want/need to use your hard drivers root.

RE: Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - Siber - 10-19-2016

I tried modifying the permissions, and am seeing no change in the behavior. Being able to save in the root isn't exactly a critical feature, but I find wings being able to ever silently fail to save rather alarming.

RE: Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - micheus - 10-19-2016

Check this Post as reference and try to start Wings3D with Erlang console. Maybe it can show some information for this silent "crash".

RE: Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - Siber - 10-19-2016

The console is not giving me any output on the saves or loads. However, I did notice something along the way, and did a little more testing. Turns out when I save or load in D:\ wings 2.1 is attempting to save and load in it's own execution directory, D:\tools\wings3d_2.1\ in this case. If I save D:\foo.wings, D:\tools\wings3d_2.1\foo.wings appears, and if I try to load the former it fails unless the latter exists, at which point it loads the latter file.

RE: Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - micheus - 10-19-2016

Very strange behaviour. I have no more ideas by now.Huh

RE: Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - dgud - 10-19-2016

I think that it's windows that plays with us, and erlang which uses an old (or unix) file handling api or something I have not investigated that.

I guess it is the same problem when trying to save something in C:/Program Files (which we still do with plugins)
and not being an admin, windows does not report that it is not allowed instead it writes the file somewhere else.

tl;dr I will not fix this anytime soon.

RE: Windows 10, wont save/load from some drive roots - dgud - 10-20-2016

The old wings is (or rather erlang is) compiled with an old compiler, so windows might do some trickery there for old programs should still work or something.

With 2.1
I can save (and load) to D:\ and I get a proper error message when trying to save to C:\ as it should.
I have an old (upgraded) machine where D:\ existed before upgrade to windows 10 though.

I wouldn't classify this as a bug though, if windows don't want you to save files under root don't or you will get into trouble. :-)