Wings 3D Development Forum
[Not a bug] Repeated Open/Save causes crash on larger files - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Not a bug] Repeated Open/Save causes crash on larger files (/showthread.php?tid=2247)

[Not a bug] Repeated Open/Save causes crash on larger files - changrilla - 11-20-2016

Hi, I had the same problem with 1.5.4 32 bit so whatever is causing it is still there. Files greater than about 7.3Mb will crash if you repeatedly open and or save. It doesn't appear to happen on the 64bit 2.0.1 version on the same machine - different boot partition.

Running W7 32 bit all updated. NVidia GeForce 9600GT 1Mb driver ver 21.21.13.4200. Athlon II X2 250 3GHz.

At ~7.3Mb it might take 5 or 6 reopens to crash but the reason I was testing was because the problem gets worse as the file gets bigger. I have a ~12Mb file and it only takes two or three save/save as/reopen to crash.

I can upload some sample files but it's easy enough to make. Just create three or four spheres with various degrees of smoothing until you have something like an 8Mb file. Just keep reopening from the file menu. The bigger you make the file the less reopens you'll need, assuming it isn't just my machine.

Incidentally I'm also experiencing the edge highlighting problem in 2.1.3

Partial Crash Dump:
=erl_crash_dump:0.3
Sun Nov 20 10:01:20 2016
Slogan: eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate 264891144 bytes of memory (of type "heap").
System version: Erlang/OTP 18 [erts-7.0.1] [source-7dfcf74] [smp:2:2] [async-threads:10]
Compiled: Fri Jul 3 08:14:29 2015
Taints:
Atoms: 15598
Calling Thread: scheduler:1
=scheduler:1
Scheduler Sleep Info Flags:
Scheduler Sleep Info Aux Work:
Current Port:
Run Queue Max Length: 0
Run Queue High Length: 0
Run Queue Normal Length: 0
Run Queue Low Length: 0
Run Queue Port Length: 0
Run Queue Flags: NONEMPTY
Current Process: <0.30.0>
Current Process State: Garbing

Love the program though despite current problems. I only use it for 3d prints. Not having all that UV mapping and associated stuff cluttering the screen suits me down to the ground but it's there if I need it. Very intelligent interface IMHO.

Cheers

Gordon

RE: Repeated Open/Save causes crash on larger files - dgud - 11-20-2016

Cannot allocate 264891144 bytes of memory, means that your program is too large and using to much memory,
if you want to model large models it is time for you to update to a 64bits OS.

RE: Repeated Open/Save causes crash on larger files - changrilla - 11-20-2016

At the time there was something like 2G 'available'. A request for ~265 doesn't seem that excessive, or is it? Is a 265Mb request commensurate with a 12Mb file? If 64bit is the only way I don't suppose I have much choice. Wings doesn't actually run as well on the 64bit W7. I had to put the graphics card in just to make it usable. Prior to that I'd been using the on board graphics with the 32 bit system.

Cheers

Gordon

RE: Repeated Open/Save causes crash on larger files - dgud - 11-20-2016

On windows on a 32b system you can only use 2G per process, so when a process gets over that limit it will be denied any request for more memory.

RE: Repeated Open/Save causes crash on larger files - changrilla - 11-20-2016

You learn something every day.

Thank you

Gordon