Wings 3D Development Forum
What is wrong - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: What is wrong (/showthread.php?tid=2254)

Pages: 1 2

What is wrong - orbiter - 11-23-2016

[attachment=457]

I have a square texture mapped onto a non square face. The face only has 4 vertices and these are mapped into the corners of the uv map exactly. However the image is being pulled to one side. There are just the 4 vertices so there is nothing to do the pulling.

RE: What is wrong - Mishou - 11-23-2016

Hi,

Not sure about but it seem that you're on the wrong side of texturing.

RE: What is wrong - micheus - 11-23-2016

orbiter, I got the same here. Very strange.
It seems to be bug. I noticed if we Subdivide once the object the map looks OK.

I'm not sure if exporting it in the other app you will see the same. Undecided

RE: What is wrong - orbiter - 11-23-2016

"wrong side of texturing"
I have no idea what you mean???
Thanks for the reply but I just do not understand the comment.

I tried a "doo Sabin subdivision" and then did udo to return to the orginal polycount and it does look better???

RE: What is wrong - Mishou - 11-24-2016

Sorry mate. My bad Sad

RE: What is wrong - orbiter - 11-24-2016

Dear Mishou,
Please understand I am not trying to pick a fight or anything negative at all. I am just wondering what you meant. I am also sure you meant well.

Anyway to return to the issue. I did the Doo Sabin subdivision and it did look better but each face had now turned into 4 faces. As each face is meant to be a metal cover plate, why have 4 half metre plates when 1 single metre plate would do fine. So I did and Undo and went back to a single face.

I can only think that rather than returning to a state stored in memory it did a recalculation. Result does look better. Its still not what I would think should happen. Squeeze a square into a trapazoid, should still give a "regular" result. It still looks like it is being pulled to a (non-existent) vertice, only now, less so.

RE: What is wrong - Mishou - 11-24-2016

Hey Orbiter,

Why not unwrap that cone shape (i suppose you want to cover each face of it with that plate texture), and make a texture in gimp or whatever you use? It might take a bit more time but is a safer way, imo.

RE: What is wrong - dgud - 11-24-2016

The problem is that in the end 3d cards draw triangles, so if you the scale the top of your quad one of the two triangles will be smaller and have a different scaling of the top of uv-map.

You will need to fix your uvmap or subdivide your model RMB subdivide a couple of times solves it for me,
subdividing the face will.

You can see the problem really easy by:
  1. Create cube
  2. UV-map
  3. Segment by projection
  4. Continue Project Normal
  5. Move to/center
  6. Scale/Max Uniform
  7. Select top face and scale uniform

The basic uv-map shows the problem well and what is happening.
Now select one of the side faces, and Subdivide with Right mouse button a couple of times and that face will look better. That is because each small quad face will be more rectangle like.

RE: What is wrong - orbiter - 11-25-2016

I understand that any and every shape is, in the end, drawn as a triangle or 2 or 20. So the "line" I see on the left hand side of your example running up to the top left hand corner is a result of this.
Makes a lot more sense to me now

Many many thanks

RE: What is wrong - orbiter - 11-25-2016

Sorry, Some how I missed the your comment about gimp. I use fireworks for graphics, old but its what I have. I do not have the skill to take a square design and map it into 20 or 30 non square faces. Plus not sure if fireworks can do it!
I am also not sure if at my age I can be bothered to learn gimp to such a level as to perform the task??

Is it such a huge task?