Wings 3D Development Forum
Wings 2.1.4.1 both Chinese translation were machine translated - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Wings 2.1.4.1 both Chinese translation were machine translated (/showthread.php?tid=2295)

Wings 2.1.4.1 both Chinese translation were machine translated - wzx1996 - 12-13-2016

Don't know where to post this, but since it's quite an big issue (in some way), I'd say that this is a bug.

Being a native Chinese user, after switching the interface language to Chinese, I notice that the translation is incomplete, and are translated very literally and looks like being machine translated. This happens to both Simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese.

Some of the reasons I consider them machine translated are: translations sometimes not related to context, translations have weird word order and strange grammar, incomplete and overdo translations (sometimes what is supposed to be translated isn't translated, sometimes the other way around).

Don't know if it's just me, but the Chinese translation is way harder to understand than the original English text due to these issues, and sometimes just not readable.

Since I don't really have the mood to do the translation (I've just started using this software, have no interest in help translating yet), the only request I can make is, nuke the current Chinese translation, that is, remove the current translation in dev branch (so that it won't appear in future versions) and change the website to remove saying that "this software has been translated into Chinese", so that someone else can decide to restart the Chinese translation.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but, machine translation is worse than incomplete translation. It's better not having a complete translation but what has been done is well translated, than having a complete but machine translation which is harder to understand than the original text.

As for "why not improve from current version", well, I admit that 60% of the text is understandable (just might have weird grammar) but, it's actually easier to translate from scratch at this stage, as people who knows how to translate would do the job better that way.

RE: Wings 2.1.4.1 both Chinese translation were machine translated - micheus - 12-14-2016

wzx1996, welcome to our community.

The translations are provided by users that want to collaborate with Wings3D project. They are volunteers and that means they came and go. So, there is not way to keep the translations updated.

If you want to help with that we appreciate. The thread Translations can contain some useful information and any other doubts can be asked there. We try to help as much as we can. Smile

RE: Wings 2.1.4.1 both Chinese translation were machine translated - wzx1996 - 12-22-2016

I know that keeping it up to date might be difficult but this shouldn't be an excuse to use machine translation.

Anyway, I guess I would have to translate it myself to change the current translation... I don't quite have time now, but I'm willing to help when I have time and mood. (That's, after I have time to properly learn and use Wings3D first, of course.)

RE: Wings 2.1.4.1 both Chinese translation were machine translated - micheus - 12-22-2016

(12-22-2016, 11:00 AM)wzx1996 Wrote: but this shouldn't be an excuse to use machine translation.
If that happened, it wasn't done by us. Wink

RE: Wings 2.1.4.1 both Chinese translation were machine translated - dgud - 12-22-2016

The Chinese translation have been done by at least two people, maybe none of them where native speaking,
we don't know neither of us devs speak any Chinese so we can't judge the content sent to us.

Wings is an open source project and thus a collaboration by several people, so if you can and want improve
the translation please do.

RE: Wings 2.1.4.1 both Chinese translation were machine translated - tkbd - 12-23-2016

Certainly hard to use if mechanical translation.
I had the same experience with the commercially application I bought.
But Wings3D is OpenSource.Users can improve it.

Unfortunately I can't speak Chinese.

I don't know whether my case will be helpful...
I started by making a WebPage to explain how to use Wings 3D in Japanese,and translation with a simple part of the menu.
Also, after translating the resources, I installed it in Wings and confirm the actual use feeling.
So before do pull request to developper, I released it in downloadable archives several times for other people interesting in it.

Probably,It will burns out if you do a lot of things at once.
It is important to do it at your own pace freely. Smile

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.