Wings 3D Development Forum
DrawFaces options in UV gone? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: DrawFaces options in UV gone? (/showthread.php?tid=232)

Pages: 1 2

RE: DrawFaces options in UV gone? - Misty Wisty - 03-21-2013

i guess, i should be creating texture one material assignment at a time?
so it preserves the material assignment?

rigging clothes for poser, i would select body parts to assign by the material zone name.
imo, it's easier to divvy up the body parts in Wings than in Poser grouping tool.
my workflow is basically by the seat of my pants, making things a lot harder than it should. Smile

after the uvmapping, i need a texture template.

RE: DrawFaces options in UV gone? - PeterC (PC) - 03-25-2013

Trying to keep multiple separate materials/regions on your model eh?
AUV will lump everything you do into a new "_auv" material as you found out, so yea using AUV in Face mode with only one material's polys selected (via 'select by material' in the Outliner window for example) will help you prevent this.

The problem is Wings will still assign an "_auv" material to those faces, so you'll just end up having to re-apply your old materials back anyway.
You're probably better off simply UV mapping your whole model first (all at once, or few polys/sections at a time.. doesn't matter, but don't worry about materials), and only THEN selecting the various poly regions and create-assign your different materials to them.. the UV data will stay of course :}
If you then need a mat colored UV template after that can just auv the whole thing in Body mode and bake one out of course.
Though be sure to save your model BEFORE that, not after. Biggrin Else you'll be back to having a single "_auv" material applied to everything if you come back to work on the model more.

What was that about the geosphere by the way? I imported it into Wings 1.4.1
It loaded fine, was UVed and had three separate materials, EDIT: Ignore --> but they were all white..

RE: DrawFaces options in UV gone? - oort - 03-25-2013

PC,
Interesting that you are getting all white faces.... maybe having an old computer is helping me on this one???

I just tested another geosphere (Wings 1.4.1) . This time I used ggalians' object mode color random to get lots of colors. Then I used object mode > Vertex attributes > Colors to Materials to convert colors to materials. Then AutoUV > Segment by Feature detection > Continue > Unfolding > Create Texture > with Draw Faces option. I get a multicolored uv map... Smile

oort

In my defense.. I don't copy/paste Objects in text form everyday... :} - PeterC (PC) - 03-25-2013

*facepalm*... When I pasted Misty's file info into text files and then renamed them .obj and .mtl respectively I didn't name it exactly 'geo.obj' and 'geo.mtl'.. And "geo.mtl" is specifically referenced inside the object. It couldn't find it, hence all white... me dumb Tongue
So to sum up, nevermind.. it imports fine, colors and all.. [Image: blush.gif]
Thx oort