Wings 3D Development Forum
Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? (/showthread.php?tid=233)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - Misty Wisty - 03-17-2013

is it possible?

i'm trying to outline the tree with edges and verts.

cutting an edge only wants to place the vert in the middle.

sliding distorts the image.
and redoing the create texture in uv window doesn't reset the image to be undistorted

am i missing something fundamental?

thanks.

RE: Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - Misty Wisty - 03-18-2013

it's not possible?

woes

RE: Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - Fonte Boa - 03-18-2013

Not sure what exatcly you're intending to do,
but why dont you use an Image Plane (with the tree image as reference)
to build your geometry (outlining the tree with edges and verts)
and after this, just then, you UV map this geometry so that you can apply
the tree image as texture?

If you apply the texture before build the topology you need,
you will be distorting all the time the uvmapping already built...

RE: Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - oort - 03-18-2013

Misty Wisty,
Use Tools > Connect to put the verts anywhere on an edge.

Yes, sliding the verts affects the UV mapping.

Instead of redoing "create texture" use "ReMap UV". If that doesn't fix things... when you start UV_Mapping use RMB instead of LMB.

I have not used AutoUV that much so hopefully I am giving good info... Smile

Edit: I see Fonte Boa responded before I got mine posted. Do what Fonte Boa said... Smile

oort

RE: Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - Misty Wisty - 03-18-2013

(03-18-2013, 05:00 PM)oort Wrote: Misty Wisty,
Use Tools > Connect to put the verts anywhere on an edge.

totally positively fantastic. thanks!!! cheers

RE: Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - Fonte Boa - 03-18-2013

Tools|Connect really is the way to create and position a vertice along an edge, but your problem wasnt to find a way to avoid image distortion?
Even a single vertice you add in a pre uvmapped object will distort the applied texture: you should review the workflow to reach your target. Wink

even if i slide the new vert before releasing mouse, it distorts the image. >.<

currently, i'm deleting a vert i need to move and instead make a new one

RE: Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - micheus - 03-18-2013

Is there any chance to see the object that you are trying to uv map? Undecided
Just to understand better what you are trying to do.

RE: Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - oort - 03-18-2013

You need to do what Fonte Boa said in an earlier post. Don't AutoUV or Snap Image the texture till you have first finished shaping your object. Then use AutoUV to create the UV Map for the object.

Edit: Your not trying to move verts on an Image plane are you... That should only be use as reference image or blueprint to model against. Unless you are only using rectangle shapes... I have seen some users create stuff with just image planes but they need to be boxy things.

oort

RE: Sliding an Edge or Vert w/o stretch/pinch texture image? - Misty Wisty - 03-19-2013

well, i started backwards. an image plane, mapped.

and now i'm trying to create tree branches by building geometry on the image plane without distorting the texture.

was hoping to do the same from some pictures i took at Robert moses beach.

was originally thinking to edge cut out the tree branch, then use some kind of mirror feature to make a back for it.

making it as hard on myself as possible lol sigh

i have literally thousands of pictures from nature hikes.