Wings 3D Development Forum
Welding shell extruded models - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Welding shell extruded models (/showthread.php?tid=2332)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Welding shell extruded models - changrilla - 01-06-2017

Installled the ManifoldLab 'bundle' to the 64b W7. I still use 1.5.4 on the 32b W7. For whatever reason the menus are really slow on my machine in 2.0.1 and 2.1.4.1. If I wasn't so lazy I'd put 1.5.4 on the 64b W7 but I only use it when I need ManifoldLab. My needs are fairly basic. I don't do all the UV mapping/rendering stuff. All I need is stl export for 3d printing.

Just a point but I always check the stl in FreeCAD. It sometimes shows up problems that Wings doesn't. In particular, where an edge crosses another edge on the same plane. Whether it matters or not to the printers I wouldn't know but it seems like a good idea to get rid of them. It might show up in the quick smoothed preview but I don't tend to use it. Show Edges 'off' gives a more realistic view of what the actual print will look like, IMHO.

Cheers

Gordon

RE: Welding shell extruded models - changrilla - 01-07-2017

I think I've worked out why there have been so many saved views. If you have an object with some saved views and do a shell extrude>save extrusion then merge the saved extrusion back the saved views double. If you go through the same process again it doubles again. In this case the original file had 16 saved views which became 32 with one merge then 64 etc. Easy to see how the numbers could get as big as they were if extract merge is something you do a lot - I do. It doesn't have to be from the same object in the file. Create a new cube>shell extrude>save extrusion>merge and you very soon have 256 saved views. Is there any point in merging saved views? It's not something I've ever knowingly used so don't really know how useful it is to others.

Cheers

Gordon

RE: Welding shell extruded models - micheus - 01-07-2017

(01-07-2017, 09:37 AM)changrilla Wrote: Is there any point in merging saved views?
Unfortunately the v1.5.4 doesn't include the Merge dialog I build for 1.5.2 and 1.5.3. The files cannot be used with 1.5.4 due fixes applied to them in 1.5.4.
The dialog allow us to manage what will be merged and how. It got more options with the adoption of wxWidgets library for the UI and it was added to the official release in v2.0. So, as you are using the ggaliens' version it should already include that dialog.

Right, thanks. I hadn't really explored the merge options. While pondering my post I wondered whether there was any point in saving 'Saved views' when doing 'Save Selected'. Are the views still appropriate when you've only saved part of something?

Cheers

Gordon

RE: Welding shell extruded models - micheus - 01-07-2017

(01-07-2017, 10:37 AM)changrilla Wrote: While pondering my post I wondered whether there was any point in saving 'Saved views' when doing 'Save Selected'. Are the views still appropriate when you've only saved part of something?
Not sure I understood your point.
The saved views are related to the camera settings (we want remember its location) and that should be valid at any time - even pointing to nothing if you remove something in front of it.

On the other hand, the saved group of selections may not be valid at some point - after vertex/edge/face deletions. Manage that automatically - depending on the amount of them and its content - would give us some performance degradation (think do that for every operation that change the mesh). That is why there is an option Remove Invalid Groups on Selection Groups window. The user for sure knows when some groups can be in a invalid state and can inquire Wings3D to remove them.

OK, thanks. It's me not really not really understanding what saved views were about.

Thanks for the responses

Gordon