Wings 3D Development Forum
Folders - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Folders (/showthread.php?tid=2360)

Pages: 1 2

Folders - Marcin Maćkowiak - 01-27-2017

Am I the only one That doesn't get the new folder system (window split)? I do not know why but I'm more familiar with the oldest one. Are there already any plans to change it or Im missing something here?

I would like to see an options to be able to make actions to all objects in the folder using only the folder. Like unseen everything by clicking just a folder.

Your opinions are welcome.

RE: Folders - oort - 01-28-2017

Marcin,
I agree. It would be nice if it was possible to hide/lock/etc the entire folder instead of having to do those things inside of the folder.

The new system is better than the old one but that option would make it even better... Smile

I just noticed that when you drag and drop items from one folder to the other, you do not see the item being moved. You do see things being moved when you drag images onto materials in the Outliner. So I assume it could work in the Geometry Graph.

Thanks,
oort

RE: Folders - tkbd - 01-29-2017

Marcin,I'm agree you too.
Thank you for focusing on the problem.

Last year,I reported and proposal about it.
See a thread When creating a new folder, don't focus on Objects
I was losing sight of the original items when make a folder, too.
And proposed an idea that it display the number of items currently stored in the folder.
-------------------
tkbd

RE: Folders - Asticles - 01-29-2017

I would have the same object options for folders (lock, show/hide, wire/shade).

RE: Folders - Marcin Maćkowiak - 01-29-2017

Thank you guys for your opinion.

tkbd sorry but I have missed your thread. Wink

Im hopefull that we can do something about it in the future and make it better, sorry to say but right now I really doesn't see any purpose to use folders Sad

RE: Folders - oort - 01-29-2017

Marcin,
If you have a file with only a few objects, then folders don't help but if you have a file with many objects they are very helpful... Smile

This is a feature that most modeling programs have. Not saying it is a reason for Wings3D to have them, just that many people make use of that feature... Smile

oort

RE: Folders - micheus - 01-29-2017

(01-29-2017, 01:08 AM)tkbd Wrote: And proposed an idea that it display the number of items currently stored in the folder.
That was already added. Thanks. Wink

I don't use much the folders system, but I also liked more the old way.

The problem is the old way functionalities was designed for Wings3D - the UI was under our control. For the current one we are limited to the way it works for the OS's. That bring us some facilities but also limitations (compared to that one we had control).
The old way to act over the tiny icons on Geometry graph:
LMB: acts over the current object;
MMB: acts over the objects in the current folder;
RMB: acts over the all objects in the Geometry graph;

MMB isn't available for us in a couple of UI controls, then that old way was adapted to still work, but a little different:
LMB: acts over the current object;
RMB: acts over the objects in the current folder;
LMB+SHIFT: acts over the all objects in the Geometry graph;

I'm not saying that we cannot do something to make it better, but sometimes we have limitations.

RE: Folders - Hank - 01-30-2017

Hi guys,

If we are already have some conversation about folders and geometry graph, I'd like to share with one of my concepts which was mentioned earlier

When working with very complicated models, mostly mechanical stuff, like M72 or SM - 1017 you have to operate between COMBINE and SEPARATE option. So I thought if there's chance to add 'Folders' in RMB menu?
(In the past I suggested 'layers')

If relevant folders (engine/suspension/wires etc.) are prepared before each project it makes more easy to operate them (move to folder and later hide/unhide necessary area) From the programming point of view It's small effort, but a lot for working convenience.

BR, Hank

RE: Folders - Marcin Maćkowiak - 01-30-2017

(01-30-2017, 07:29 AM)Hank Wrote: (In the past I suggested 'layers')

I never consider about it but it seems to be a good idea for wings3D.
As I can see it's a deeper topic with folders.

Anyway my main problem right now is that GG window splits into two part's. I would like to see everything like in the outliner window where images and materials are hidden in one window and we can work with them using "+" button. I can still see several objects but moved to other folders. Right now I have to jump over all folders and look for object that I need.

I hope you can catch what I mean to say.

RE: Folders - nemyax - 01-30-2017

You should be able to create nested folders/layers, as in a real filesystem. And yes, the visibility/rendermode/lock options should be available for folders at each level.