Wings 3D Development Forum
Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ManifoldLab Plug-ins Collection (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. (/showthread.php?tid=241)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - ggaliens - 03-20-2013

Are you using the lastest Mac build I provided the link too ?

Just curious.

RE: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - westek - 03-21-2013

ggaliens,
Yes, but just in case, I deleted the app, downloaded it again from the link you provided and performed the same operation with the same results. Also when I try to import .stl files I get a crash error. Sorry don't remember the exact error.

Will

Just a quick thought, even though I deleted the app, and reinstalled, it remembered my preferences, as in 2 button mouse. Where are the prefs stored? Obviously not in the app package. Maybe I have a very old pref file floating around somewhere causing the new app to be misconfigured, so to speak... Maybe in Library?

Thanks,
Will.

RE: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - ggaliens - 03-21-2013

There is supposed to be a command line FLAG sent to CarveCSG to help triangulate or split the faces being "penetrated". I think it was supposed to be a default preference by now on Mac and Windows.

Alas ... I'll have to check what happens on my MAC. I do own a Mac for testing.

I'll do it soon.

RE: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - yaak - 03-21-2013

(03-20-2013, 05:38 PM)westek Wrote: Ok, Thanks, here goes...

I placed a cube with a cylinder through the y axis of the cube.

I selected the cube.

R click on workspace and select Lots more

R click on Experimental Boolean to subtract

Left click on cylinder

R click to execute

I now have a cube with a hole through it, which is exactly what I was wanting, EXCEPT that the 2 faces of the cube that the cylinder passed through are also gone. Do I need to set a preference or is this normal and I need to redraw those faces?

Thanks,
Will
Will thanks for your step by step SmileI was about to give up! Having said that, I find the new Boolean process convoluted, and difficult, to replicate, without having 1st made a text file to refer to, on my computer screen. From a users point of view, I would have stayed with the A & B concept. We sometime forget that established principles regardless how old, are still being taught by AutoDesk at every institute of higher learning. 3dMax has used the A & B concept, going back to 1997.

Even this later addition: see attachment worked well!

P.S. I hope my comments are ONLY interpreted as constructive criticism

RE: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - ggaliens - 03-21-2013

Surely you can understand that in this case ... I'm using the INFO line to avoid extra MENU items or heirarchical menu items. I'm not seeing a huge downside here. Maybe the modifier key requirement messes things up a bit.

I should try my middle mouse button to see if that helps.

Yakk ... I see a source of confusion.

Coming back into this BOOLEANS stale and out of it for a while ... I'm also having a PROBLEM.

Some operations are POLARIZED. Subtract and Impression.

Union and Intersect are not POLARIZED operations (they are commutative).

For commutative operations ... have all bodies pre-selected.

For subtract and impression ... preselect 1 ... and then following command line hints ... select the next.

I hope this info can at least get you by until I have a chance to do another release.

In theory ... I made a BOOLEAN Improvement last night. - ggaliens - 03-22-2013

In theory ... I made a BOOLEAN Improvement last night.

Released but not tested after release.

BOOLEANS will alert you if your selections are not done in proper sequence.
Does a better job along these lines now ... I hope.

RE: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - yaak - 03-23-2013

ggaliens.....there is always going to be an issue about which gets subtracted from what, a from b or b from a, as a result the user is still always left with a 50/50 chance of having picked the right subtraction.

WRT: saving line space. I offer 2 idea for consideration:

1.Is it possible to, display icons with tooltips, for operation such as booleans, see attachment.
or
2.Is it possible to add 2nd flyout menu, with union, intersect, subtract titles.

RE: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - westek - 03-24-2013

(03-21-2013, 04:39 PM)ggaliens Wrote: There is supposed to be a command line FLAG sent to CarveCSG to help triangulate or split the faces being "penetrated". I think it was supposed to be a default preference by now on Mac and Windows.

Alas ... I'll have to check what happens on my MAC. I do own a Mac for testing.

I'll do it soon.

Thank You. I assume that I can just keep checking the link you provided earlier and a new release will be there if you have one to release. I was also wondering if I should just run XP in a virtual machine on my Mac and use the Micro$oft Windoze version of Wings? :-D

Will

RE: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - ggaliens - 03-24-2013

OK ... this video's release is actually PENDING because of glitch in 1and1 hosting service. Will be available soon. All it does is guide the user a bit more accurately ... some issues with admonishing messages have been made more clear ... I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3bFt3VLeaM

RE: Intersect Tool Missing! Available as separate plugin. - ggaliens - 03-26-2013

It is released.