Wings 3D Development Forum
UV Mapping Broken? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: UV Mapping Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=2486)

UV Mapping Broken? - sinthetic - 04-06-2017

Hello...anyone still here?

I haven't been using Wings for a while, (like the new GUI) but the UV function is not working for me in 2.1.5

No matter how I cut up my terrain model (started as a cube is all quads) it ALWAYS says I have a closed surface and meed to cut along some edges. I have, a hundred different ways, it's not working how it did.

If I cut (mark as hard edges) all the way through the middle of the entire model, it tells me the same thing.

Is this a known current bug, or is it just giving me completely erroneous messages? It can't be both.

-sin

RE: UV Mapping Broken? - dgud - 04-07-2017

Nothing should have changed in that area, so that should work the same as before.

So it sounds like something is weird with your model.

RE: UV Mapping Broken? - micheus - 04-07-2017

sinthetic, welcome to our community.

It sounds like you were using spherical or cylindrical unwrap without the proper cut.
I do not use much that, but I remember the message is similar the one you said. Which method are you using?

RE: UV Mapping Broken? - sinthetic - 04-07-2017

Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I got it working and have no idea why it works now. I did everything the same about 30 different times. This morning I set up my edges the EXACT same way to take some screen shots to show what I am doing...this time it decided to unfold...?!?!

I wasn't using Spherical or Projection. I have been using Wings for much longer than I have been a member here, in fact I used to post quite a bit in the old forums at one time, but I thought Wings was abandoned from the lack of updates or news. Great to see the work is still coming along, the new GUI looks and works awesome so far (except for the UV weirdness Wink

If I can figure out what I was doing wrong or repeat this non-unfolding I will report back, the model is fairly high poly but again, just an extruded and cut cube to make a terrain.

-sin

Are there any new tutorials out there that show how to this newer version of UV Mapping? I could swear I was able to do things much easier before, now I am having trouble simply trying to view my texture on the model.

Using the same methods in the past, is not working. After making it external and putting my texture into the template, I make it internal. Some times I can see it other times or with different models, the map is in the Images and the materials section and neither will be visible on the model, but I can use "show" to see it.

What am I doing wrong, or has something changed..another step?

-sin

RE: UV Mapping Broken? - micheus - 04-09-2017

(04-07-2017, 02:15 PM)sinthetic Wrote: Are there any new tutorials out there that show how to this newer version of UV Mapping? I could swear I was able to do things much easier before, now I am having trouble simply trying to view my texture on the model.
As dgud said: "Nothing should have changed in that area"

It could be good to know what exactly you are doing that think it was different.

Quote:Using the same methods in the past, is not working. After making it external and putting my texture into the template, I make it internal. Some times I can see it other times or with different models, the map is in the Images and the materials section and neither will be visible on the model, but I can use "show" to see it.
I didn't experience this kind of issue. But, usually there is no need to make it internal after you paint your texture. I use to make it external, edit/paint the texture and just refresh it in case I do that with Wings3d active, otherwise next time it loads the project the new texture is there.

basically, that is what is different in AutoUV Editor window:
- there is no more top-menu and toolbar, but all the selection options are available via shortcut. The buttons to choose the selection mode in the main window are shared with all the windows. It can change in accord with the focused window (look at the window title - the color changes indicating that);
- unfortunately we cannot hide the background as before - that was an option in the top-menu;
- drag-and-drop feature isn't available (yet). Before we could drag an image from Outline window and drop it over the AutoUV Editor;

RE: UV Mapping Broken? - estatica - 05-10-2017

(04-09-2017, 02:14 AM)micheus Wrote: - unfortunately we cannot hide the background as before - that was an option in the top-menu;
Does anyone know if this will be possible in the future? I didn't realise how much I used this option before. Right now I'm having trouble working on my map without being able to hide the background.

RE: UV Mapping Broken? - micheus - 05-10-2017

As a work around I've been using to assign a white image (use the context menu for primitives (Image). A small one 128x128 is OK. When I finish working I reassign my texture.

RE: UV Mapping Broken? - micheus - 05-22-2017

(05-10-2017, 10:38 AM)estatica Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 02:14 AM)micheus Wrote: - unfortunately we cannot hide the background as before - that was an option in the top-menu;
Does anyone know if this will be possible in the future?
If approved, it must be available back in the next release. Smile