Wings 3D Development Forum
Preview of Preview Dialog features. - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Preview of Preview Dialog features. (/showthread.php?tid=25)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Preview of Preview Dialog features. - Geta-Ve - 11-19-2012

One idea, re your custom shapes suggestion (merged files etc), is to have a user defined directory with premade models.

IE.

Head
Body
Male
Female
Robot
etc

It could be its own menu item "Custom Forms" or something, and then Wings could pull from the named .wings files?

*shrug*

Something like this

[Image: custom.png]

RE: Preview of Preview Dialog features. - Geta-Ve - 11-19-2012

Furthermore, the end result would be basically invoking the Merge operation, it would simply be set up to look differently. Tongue

RE: Preview of Preview Dialog features. - optigon - 11-19-2012

I can start with File > Merge and try incorporate a preview dialog.

Fonte Boa,
I added compatibility for Bounding Boxes.

RE: Preview of Preview Dialog features. - oort - 11-19-2012

If you are going to work on Merge, it would be nice if it were possible to control what things get merged in, when merging files. At times you may just want the object and at others you might want the object and lights. Or maybe you want the object, lights, and saved views. This is an old request I made in the old forum... This feature is available in Kerkythea.

Edit: I just noticed that you responded to my suggestion of saving settings and Reset to defaults. Glad you were able to add the Reset button.

Saving settings to the preferences file is what I was thinking of. That is how it was done in Yafray and how I am doing it with YafaRay. It probably is overcompensating and may very well not be the best thing to do. I did a test on adding it to N-Cube to see how it would work. Here is a link to the old forum where I posted the code to make it work for N-Cube... Save Settings N-Cube

I thought having this available in Micheus's improved Image Planes command would be good so that once the user sets his options the first time all future image planes added would be quicker to add, assuming a user will want to use the same settings every time an image plane is created.

Having a standard library of blocks (objects) is probably better for keeping the preferences file cleaner... Smile
oort

RE: Preview of Preview Dialog features. - micheus - 11-19-2012

(11-19-2012, 04:58 AM)oort Wrote: Having a standard library of blocks (objects) is probably better for keeping the preferences file cleaner... Smile
I share of this idea. I already tought about why not something like a w3d_plugins.pref. Rolleyes

Micheus,
That sounds like a good idea. Are you suggesting a single file or would one want separate files for each plug-in. Maybe one for the official plug-ins and for newer ones still in development have a separate one for each new plug-in???

oort

RE: Preview of Preview Dialog features. - micheus - 11-19-2012

I believe just one for all plugins would avoid to mess up the wings3d' file as well as avoid corrupt it. But, I'm not sure about how much hard/easy could be to manage it. The information/s of the window/s plugin is/are stored into the currente preference file.
Your idea about to store blocks in such a file - if used only for extra plugin data - sounds better.

My statement about blocks was a result of posting too late in the evening... Smile I think I mixed two thoughts into one sentence.Blush

"Having a standard library of blocks (objects)" was about an earlier post about custom shapes. Not sure exactly what I was planning to say??? I think I was saying that any custom shapes should simply be .wings files and not have them added to Wings3d in the menus. Geta-Ve's suggestion to have "Custom Forms" in a user defined directory isn't a bad one. It may or may not be a redundant menu item??? Adding Merge file (suggested by Optigon) to the primitives might not be a bad one either. That may or may not be redundant as well???

Being able to preview a .wings file being merged in would be great. Being able to preview .wings files before opening and .obj files before importing would be great too.

"is probably better for keeping the preferences file cleaner" was about not having all the user defined settings in the preferences.txt file.

Sorry for the confusion... hope this doesn't confuse things more... Smile
oort

RE: Preview of Preview Dialog features. - Fonte Boa - 11-20-2012

Thanks for Bounding Box support, Optigon.

Is there some chance to have this interactive preview
working to top menu Align, Center and Bounding Box commands?

RE: Preview of Preview Dialog features. - optigon - 11-25-2012

(11-20-2012, 11:30 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: Is there some chance to have this interactive preview
working to top menu Align, Center and Bounding Box commands?
I did plan to do this, but I want to wait until the current changes are added to the source.