Wings 3D Development Forum
Camera pan axis reverse - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Camera pan axis reverse (/showthread.php?tid=2529)

Camera pan axis reverse - Mr_Ekshin - 05-23-2017

Hiya. New to this software, but not to 3d modeling. I'm trying to model some ships for Oolite, and this was recommended.

Where are the settings to reverse the axis for the mouse when panning the camera in free-look?

I need to reverse the x-axis on the mouse pan. I've never run into this problem before, but the default axis choices appear quite arbitrarily wrong. Trying to simply pan around to look over my model is driving me crazy.

No, I don't wish to "get used to it", but thank you for wanting to suggest it. Getting used to weird controls wrecks my gaming reflexes. Wink

A forum search turned up nothing, and I can't find it in program. Perhaps a registry tweak (Windows)?

Thanks ahead of time for any help offered. Smile

Ek.

RE: Camera pan axis reverse - micheus - 05-23-2017

(05-23-2017, 09:14 AM)Mr_Ekshin Wrote: Where are the settings to reverse the axis for the mouse when panning the camera in free-look?

I need to reverse the x-axis on the mouse pan. I've never run into this problem before, but the default axis choices appear quite arbitrarily wrong. Trying to simply pan around to look over my model is driving me crazy.
Which camera mode are you using?
You can verify or change some camera's settings in Preferences->Camera.

I'm not sure about what you are saying is wrong. At least, in Wings3D mode, the pan command is moving the camera in accord with the side we want to go (left, right, up or down). Of course, the axis will move in the opposite side (we are moving the camera).

RE: Camera pan axis reverse - Mr_Ekshin - 05-24-2017

Ok I've got it.
After 2 days, and 4 new spaceships built, I finally found what I was looking for.

I kept overlooking the "Camera mode", setting. For some reason my brain didn't think it was what I was looking for. I've since given my brain a stern talking to, and hopefully we'll be able to put this behind us.

The "Blender" settings make me perfectly happy. That this software includes optional control schemes makes me very happy. Major kudos for this!

Besides solving my X, Y axis issues, it also fixed the pan control issue. MMB to initiate, but LMB to turn pan off was mind-blowingly anti-intuitive. I tried for 2 days to get used to it, but never could. The mode has to be a gag; I can't believe anyone would prefer it.

Other than that, this software is a breeze. Actually it's shocking how powerful it is. I had to get used to it's methodology. It was awkward at first but perfectly sensible after I got used to it. I've been able to hum along and getting great results.

I *do* still have a problem though, that I can't find on the net. I can't find how to snap/constrain a vertex to a plane/face. Also, "weld" has never worked once for me, so I've just been connecting->collapsing vertexes, then dealing with the cleanup.

I *have* discovered that I could crash the program at will, repeatedly, but that was yesterday. I was doing something the wrong way, and once I found the right way, no more crashes. Sadly, I don't remember what I was doing, so I can't submit a bug report.

Anywho, my original problem is resolved. Peace out.

RE: Camera pan axis reverse - micheus - 05-25-2017

(05-24-2017, 11:16 PM)Mr_Ekshin Wrote: I can't believe anyone would prefer it.
When you mind is still free of any previous concept it's easier to accept anything. I have any problem using it, but I hate every time I start to play with Blender. Wink

Tips:
- pay attention to the status line for information about the menu options and input parameter information;
- most Wings3D commands have three options which you choose in a menu option by clicking the Left [LMB], Middle [MMB] or Right Mouse Button [RMB];
- during a command execution you can use TAB key to show up the Input dialog and enter precise values;
- you may like to know about the Tweak mode.

Quote:I *do* still have a problem though, that I can't find on the net. I can't find how to snap/constrain a vertex to a plane/face.
You will find the Snap command under Absolute Commands.
Sometimes you can use the Intersect command (in Vertex selection mode [V]).

Quote:Also, "weld" has never worked once for me, so I've just been connecting->collapsing vertexes, then dealing with the cleanup.
Weld requires the number of vertex of each face be the same and they need to be closer. Choose the Weld command using the RMB to open a dialog in which you can select the distance tolerance and it a cleanup must be done. Just pay attention to the distance you enter, because you may remove edges that you may want to keep.
In some situations you may prefer to make the vertex position match before apply Weld and for that you can select each vertex pair and use Scale Uniform with a value of 100%.

Quote:I *have* discovered that I could crash the program at will, repeatedly, but that was yesterday. I was doing something the wrong way, and once I found the right way, no more crashes. Sadly, I don't remember what I was doing, so I can't submit a bug report.
If you face it again, please report it with some extra infos in the Bug Reports / Wings3D v2.1.* - bug reports

As you probably installed the latest version I do recommend you to install these fixes:
- TAB issue;
- Save problem after collapsing after a hole;
- Hotkeys stop to work if we switch among applications;

RE: Camera pan axis reverse - Mr_Ekshin - 05-28-2017

PAN (not bread):
I'll admit that the camera pan controls make sense. The mouse movements directly correspond to moving the camera around the model.

Somewhere way back whenever (3DS? Lightwave?), they chose wacky pan controls and it stuck.

It's like the qwerty keyboard. I learned Dvorak one time, but then got another job where I had to roam and fix other systems, and I couldn't type any more. :/

I had to re-learn what is a dopey keyboard layout to re-conform to the world.

So as much as I tried to use Wings' system, my brain just never let me; too many other programs work "wrong" for me to abandon them.

There is a direct correlation between inverted Y in a properly configured flight sim, and Wings' Y, but then Wings' "X" feels backward. It made my brain hurt.

Blender's orientation has X the way I expect, but Y feels inverted. But I've already learned to make that mental switch (and X is used more than Y in panning anywho).

CRASHES:
I think my crashes involved the TAB key, so it's good to get this fix. Your listed fixes replace the file "wings_wm.beam" twice. I'm guessing the final one (not in the zip file) is the one to use.

WELDING:
I've learned to use vertex weld, but regardless of it's name, it's doing something other than what I was expecting. I admit that I have found a use for it once, but still not getting the results I'm looking for. I'm going to have to post about it, because I'm stuck.

Wings is my first foray into box modelling. Many of its concepts sound familiar to me, but end up being different. I have to empty my head and start fresh.

Thank you for the assistance. Biggrin

RE: Camera pan axis reverse - micheus - 05-29-2017

Quote:It's like the qwerty keyboard. I learned Dvorak one time, but then got another job where I had to roam and fix other systems, and I couldn't type any more. :/
I would carry my own keyboard. Smile

Quote:CRASHES:
I think my crashes involved the TAB key, so it's good to get this fix. Your listed fixes replace the file "wings_wm.beam" twice. I'm guessing the final one (not in the zip file) is the one to use.
I grouped the fixes in one place, so that should not happens anymore.

Quote:WELDING:
I've learned to use vertex weld, but regardless of it's name, it's doing something other than what I was expecting. I admit that I have found a use for it once, but still not getting the results I'm looking for.
As I told before, Weld requires two objects with one face matching each other - same number of vertex and they must be closer. (you can set the tolerance).
You probably is looking for other command.