Wings 3D Development Forum
Missing Face Crash - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Missing Face Crash (/showthread.php?tid=2558)

Pages: 1 2

Missing Face Crash - StormEagle - 06-17-2017

When I try to fill in a missing face the program keeps crashing. This is really annoying and it's getting in the way. Is there already a solution for this or is it only my client that's causing this to happen?

I took screenshots of it happening.

When there's a hole it saves

But when I fill it in this happens

This happens for every mesh I make and it sometimes comes up with another message:

Crash Report:

Dump written 2017-6-17_18-56
Version: 2.1.5
Window: geom
Reason: function_clause

Short stack trace:
[]

Long stack trace:
[{gb_trees,get_1,[-13,nil],[{file,"gb_trees.erl"},{line,243}]},
{wings_we,'-do_renumber/3-lc$^0/1-0-',2,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_we.erl"},{line,678}]},
{wings_we,do_renumber,3,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_we.erl"},{line,678}]},
{wings_we,do_renumber,2,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_we.erl"},{line,643}]},
{wings_we,renumber,2,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_we.erl"},{line,258}]},
{wings_ff_wings,renumber,5,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_ff_wings.erl"},
{line,1314}]},
{wings_ff_wings,export,2,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_ff_wings.erl"},
{line,1251}]},
{wings_file,save_now,2,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_file.erl"},
{line,430}]},
{wings_develop,time_command,2,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_develop.erl"},
{line,73}]},
{wings,raw_command,4,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings.erl"},{line,621}]},
{wings_wm,handle_event,3,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_wm.erl"},{line,952}]},
{wings_wm,send_event,2,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_wm.erl"},{line,918}]},
{wings_wm,do_dispatch,2,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_wm.erl"},{line,824}]},
{wings_wm,dispatch_event,1,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_wm.erl"},{line,725}]},
{wings_wm,get_and_dispatch,0,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings_wm.erl"},{line,646}]},
{wings,init,1,
[{file,"c:/Users/familjen/src/wings/src/wings.erl"},{line,147}]}]

RE: Missing Face Crash - micheus - 06-17-2017

Missing faces shouldn't​exists, except by creating wrong topologies.
If you need a hole you must to use the proper command for that. If you need "single" face grouped you must to use extract or extrude without thickness. Wings3D needs a manifold surface and it try to keep them that way, but sometimes we are able to "workaround" this and it creates wrong and inconsistent objects.

I suggest you to try Cleanup in body mode. It can sometimes"breaks" your object, but can fix internal inconsistencies.

Please try that and give me a feedback.
Also, if you can, attache the Wings3D' project file causing the crash because it uses to be hard create broken meshes like this by our own. Smile

RE: Missing Face Crash - StormEagle - 06-17-2017

I created the missing face by using the hole command. Then filled it in again. I also don't understand what you mean by "If you need "single" face grouped you must to use extract or extrude without thickness." because there is no thickness option for extrude or extract.

Can you explain how to do cleanup in body mode? I don't see how to do that.

Nevermind. I did the cleanup but the face was still missing.

(06-17-2017, 06:58 PM)StormEagle Wrote: I created the missing face by using the hole command. Then filled it in again.
maybe the way you did that?!
To remove holes you select a surrounding faces and use the Hole command with RMB option (that means, you select the menu command by using the Right Mouse Button - you must see that in the information line)

Quote:I also don't understand what you mean by "If you need "single" face grouped you must to use extract or extrude without thickness." because there is no thickness option for extrude or extract.
That was just an impression I had seeing the first image. And Yeah, the Extract command doesn't allow you to set a thickness, but for extrude you do that moving the mouse - you can keep it unmoved and finish the command and that will give the extrusion a zero thickness. You also can invoke the Input dialog, so you can enter a precise value of zero for distance. Wink

Quote:Can you explain how to do cleanup in body mode? I don't see how to do that.
Body mode, means you change the Selection mode to Body (the 4th icon on the toolbar) which you can activate using the shortcut [B].
Then you select the "problematic" object and in the context menu you select the Cleanup - [LMB] option uses to be enough.

Try to understand...
If the missing face was created by using Hole you must to use the way I wrote about it before. Otherwise, it's always hard to suggest solutions to problems like this when we don't have the model in our hands. Smile

Eventually, you can rebuild faces by connecting vertex - select them and use Connect [C].

I used the connect command for this and that's causing it to crash. This is what I'm trying to explain xD

You can easily recreate this problem. I took screenshots of how to do it.

If you want we could discuss this in TeamSpeak or something? I could guide you through the problem I'm having.

(06-17-2017, 08:16 PM)StormEagle Wrote: You can easily recreate this problem. I took screenshots of how to do it.
No I can't. I could reproduce images 1,2 and 3, but not without to guess you have the View->Show Backfaces disabled. Wink

[edited] But, I think you can just select one neighbour face to the hole and use the command to close the hole as I said before.

Quote:If you want we could discuss this in TeamSpeak or something? I could guide you through the problem I'm having.
Unfortunately, not today. I'm at work and I cannot install or access this kind of service.

You can send me a file with the cube in the situation you shown in the image five. Maybe I can try to see what is wrong with it.

This thread is a sample about how an user can show us a problem, how we can understand and how bad it can really be. (see the first post and my two ones) Smile

I will make a video of the problem tomorrow because I'm going to bed right now.

RE: Missing Face Crash - StormEagle - 06-23-2017

I didn't get round to making the video but this bug has ruined my model I was working on.

RE: Missing Face Crash - micheus - 06-23-2017

Did you tried to bring back the hidden face as I told you in my previous post - see "edited".

Let see if I can explain it better or make you more confused... Smile

When you hide a face or mark it as a hole Wings3d will still keep "its information". Think like the face was still there and as it works for regular face, when you divide it with cut one of the two faces keeps the original I'D - you can think this as the original face getting a small size and the "opened hole" being closed with a new face.

So, you are cuting/connecting edges own by the hidden face/hole and Wings3D is trying to keep it. If you didn't need a hole you need to know that you need to remove it before do this kind of action.
If Wings3d just ignored that and them closed the hole automatically, one could say: "but, I was just trying to reduce the hole, not remove it".

It's our call tell to Wings3D what we want to happen and we do that planning our the actions.