Wings 3D Development Forum
Right-click menu opens after delay - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Right-click menu opens after delay (/showthread.php?tid=2597)

Right-click menu opens after delay - TheSchaeff - 12-04-2017

Compared to Wings3D 1.5.4, Wings3D 2.1.5 takes about a second longer to open the right click menu. It's a minor detail but after using Wings for 8 years it really messes me up. It happens every time with every right-click menu. It happened when Wings3D 2.1.5 first came out as well, so I don't think its a driver issue.

PC Specs:
Windows 10 64 bit
GTX 980
AMD FX 8350
16GB RAM

RE: Right-click menu opens after delay - micheus - 12-04-2017

The menus are created dynamically. That allow us to set/change hotkeys on the fly and add new plugins without have to restart Wings3D every time we do one of that.
Since 2.0 Wings3D is using a 3rd part GUI library (wxWidgets) and we noticed some lag. It depends on our hard configuration. I can noticed this 1.5s lag in a old PC with i5 650 + integrated graphic card, but I don't have it at my home PC i7 4770K + Radeon R280X.

Here is a link about that which dgud post a comment for the 2.1.4 pre-release.

RE: Right-click menu opens after delay - ggaliens - 12-05-2017

My impression about CLICK / LAGS and newer 2.x line of Wings3d ...

I found the LAGS to be proportional in time (how long is the lag) to how large my model was in polygon count. This was extremely distressing to me ... but I continued to work around the lag (live with it). My strong feeling was that if the lag was indeed proportional in time to polygon count ... they bug was almost certainly in the Win3d itself ... rather than in some supporting library.

I may very well be talking about a separate or different bug.

On a separate note ... I miss playing with Wings3D. Too busy with work for the last year.

RE: Right-click menu opens after delay - micheus - 12-05-2017

Good to see you back.
It can be, but I think that should be measured.
The menus are built in accordance with the selection. It can vary for vertex, edges, faces or bodies. Some has more options than others.

But the process is always the same for any kind of mode. And I few like it became a little long than before when using SDL. If we add to this the time that a genetic library will spend to interpret its object and translate to the proper OS commands we surely will have some small lag that I believe will be proportional to the processing capability of our PCs.

RE: Right-click menu opens after delay - micheus - 12-07-2017

Well, I tried to measure the time spent to build the popup menu items (translation from list to wx controls) in setup_popup/7 takes ~600000μs => 600ms. The entire process from click to show takes ~1s.
This was the time for the context menu in Face selection mode - the one with more items.

The test was made in the i5 PC which is the slowest I have access.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any point where we code "improve" the process. Sorry.

RE: Right-click menu opens after delay - TheSchaeff - 12-10-2017

Could we ever see another update to the 1.5.4 version? I was fine using 1.5.4 forever but after the latest Windows update there seems to be an issue where the camera seems to flip along the y-axis, making it sadly unusable. I can work well enough with the delay in 2.X but I personally would take the speed of 1.5.4 over the added features of 2.X. Sorry to be such a pain haha

RE: Right-click menu opens after delay - micheus - 12-14-2017

Sorry for the delay. It has been a busy time for me. Smile

(12-10-2017, 08:42 PM)TheSchaeff Wrote: Could we ever see another update to the 1.5.4 version?
That's is impossible. We are "far from it". That would require to downgrade out development environment.

Quote:I was fine using 1.5.4 forever but after the latest Windows update there seems to be an issue where the camera seems to flip along the y-axis, making it sadly unusable.
I'm under Windows 10 Pro, v1703 build 15063.726 and I cannot experiment this behavioural using any kind of camera mode.

You may try to check for mouse driver update or play with the options related to speed for for the Rotation and Pan in the Camera tab in Preferences' Wings3D dialog.

There isn't much I can do.