Wings 3D Development Forum
Documentation thread? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Documentation thread? (/showthread.php?tid=26)

Documentation thread? - greytery - 11-16-2012

What's the OFFICIAL position regarding the approach to Wings 3D User Manual & documentation?
The old pdf version is nearly 10 years old now ... but I see it's being slowly converted to the Wikibooks version .. but it's still very useful to a newbie like me.

The old Forum thread has optigon - in 2008 - pointing at the Wikibooks on-line user manual work as preference. Massive advantages to that approach - so should all others be deprecated?
(There's even a Wikibooks to PDF converter that works ever so well, for those that prefer their documents as, er well, documents.)
Of course, there's a barrow load of work to do on the Wiki...

The new Fourm does not have a sub-head or pointer on this important(?) subject - should there be an obvious up-front header / pointer / thread here?
( I know there's a Documentation pointer on the website itself... but I'm thinking about discussion threads,etc)

RE: Documentation thread? - optigon - 11-16-2012

Over the years there have been several attempts to update the documentation. I for one have always wanted the documentation to be updated. Sometimes I try and add docs myself, but technical writing is not my strongest skill, and I've struggled to put together a solid structure for the manual.

Like this forum, the website is new, and with the new website are new possibilities. I really hope we can get the Documentation Project going again and get a few contributors involved.

What's great about the new website is that it was constructed using Wordpress -- and what's great about Wordpress is that it's easy to add content, such as documentation.

Even though the info on the website is current, it's extremely limited and could be written and organised better. And yes, the other docs are embarrassingly out of date.

So the official position is the same: We want new docs.

Should we have a discussion thread about it? Absolutely.

And what are we doing about it? As much as we can... but that's not much.
We're a very small dev team, and we're active in spurts.

Ideally we would like knowledgable community members to work on the docs, while those who code, work on the programming. Hopefully with the new website and forum that will happen.

RE: Documentation thread? - greytery - 11-16-2012

I agree - to paraphrase - that those that Can Do and those that Can't Document Biggrin

RE: Documentation thread? - optigon - 11-16-2012

For all those interested in helping with the Documentation Project, I created a new sub-forum where prospective can docs can be submitted.

The new sub-forum can also be a place to discuss documentation styles, content layout, and all things related to documentation.

RE: Documentation thread? - Geta-Ve - 11-18-2012

Great idea optigon, I had wanted to help with the documentation back in the day, but I, like you, suffer in the technical writing department.

Hopefully someone can pick up the reigns.

And while I will be throwing up a new thread for this, I wonder how feasible it would be to have documentation when the future of Wings is up in the air? Both in its viability as well as its development.