Wings 3D Development Forum
W3D export to Blender - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: How To (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: W3D export to Blender (/showthread.php?tid=2610)

W3D export to Blender - Hank - 01-14-2018

Hello W3D Users,

In reference to Fortschritt T-174 project I'm preparing some Blender renders, therefore I'd like to share with my experience about moving the files.

For this test I used:
Export: W3D 2.1.5 / Import: Blender 2.78
Object: Fortschritt T-174 with various steps: combined and separated objects, but always it has 3 UV maps (+tex) and exporting in .png format. (other options kept unchanged)

Tested exports: 3D Max (.3ds), Wavefront (.obj), Collada (.dae), Lightwave (.lwo) and VRML (.wrl)

Advise: Before exporting object, make sure that all textures were set internal

All object combined / Export
3D Max (.3ds) => Object triangulated. All 3 UV Maps combined to one. No texture was imported
Collada (.dae) => Blender occured error. Can't import Collada file. Error details in console
Lightwave(.lwo) => Can't export. Error log. More details in attached .txt file
VRML (.wrl) => Imported object was separated to 3 different objects. (according to UV map split in W3D) Fortschritt's stand with single UV was mapped OK. But other two (created with many single objects) doesn't match original W3D UV - Blender version looks like Normal or Projection camera UV. Textures were imported
Wavefront (.obj) => Object imported and separated to 3 different objects (per UV map in W3D) Also imported hidden faces which makes problem for UV (need to be re-arrange).

All object combined / Export selected
3D Max (.3ds) => Selected object exported was triangulated. Texture and UV map match.
Collada (.dae) => Blender occured error. Can't import Collada file. Error details in console
VRML (.wrl) => Object imported with texture but UV doesn't match (looks more like a Normal or Projection UV)
Wavefront (.obj) => Object imported with texture. UV map match but also importing hidden faces

All objects separated / Export
3D Max (.3ds) => Object triangulated. UV from W3D match to Blender. Textures imported
VRML (.wrl) => Object imported but only Fortschritts stands (created with no other objects) is OK. Other (combined) objects have no texture and no UV's
Wavefront (.obj) => Object imported with texture and all UV match - unfortunatelly, includes also hidden faces from W3D

All object separated / Export selected
3D Max (.3ds) => Object triangulated. UV from W3D match to Blender. Textures imported
VRML (.wrl) => Object and texture imported. UV doesn't match.
Wavefront (.obj) => Object imported with texture and all UV match - unfortunatelly, includes also hidden faces from W3D

Because I've been developing my skills in Blender recently, in near future will repeat the steps but opposite way: create object in Blender and export to W3D.
Pls. wait for update.

I'm familiar that my object might be 'specific' for this case and the result can be different for several other test. Anyhow, I hope the text can be helpful for other users.
If anyone has experinece with similar topic, I think we can combine general information and help other user with export/import operation.
Thanks in advance!

BR, Hank

RE: W3D export to Blender - micheus - 01-15-2018

Hank, thanks for valuable information to our community. I'm going to move it to How To session so it doesn't disappear from our eyes in this infinity session. Smile

Quote:Advise: Before exporting object, make sure that all textures were set internal
Is there any think we can do to fix the plugins or that is the usual behaviour for other 3D applications too?

RE: W3D export to Blender - Nova - 01-16-2018

You can get around OBJ exporting hidden faces, by using an older version of wings. I'm using 2.0.4.

RE: W3D export to Blender - Hank - 01-17-2018

(01-15-2018, 04:15 PM)micheus Wrote: Hank, thanks for valuable information to our community. I'm going to move it to How To session so it doesn't disappear from our eyes in this infinity session. Smile

Quote:Advise: Before exporting object, make sure that all textures were set internal
Is there any think we can do to fix the plugins or that is the usual behaviour for other 3D applications too?

Hello Micheus,

I only follow Blender 3D application and can't tell anything about other programs.
This weekend I will try to check the same steps, but with different model and probably with 1.5.4 version too.

BR, Hank

RE: W3D export to Blender - Hank - 01-20-2018

Attempt 2:

Export: W3D 1.5.4
Import: Blender 3D 2.78

Texture format: .png
Textures set internal

2 objects: cube(+UV and texture) and cylinder (+UV and texture) - both objects have 1 hidden face.

All Textures set internal

All object combined / Export
3D Max (.3ds) => Object triangulated. UV from W3D match to Blender. Textures imported. Hidden faces part of all original object
Collada (.dae) => Objects imported. UV OK. No Textures. Hidden faces part of original objects
Lightwave(.lwo) => Can't export. Error log. More details in attached print-screens
VRML (.wrl) => Object and texture imported. UV and texture OK. Hidden objects are separated.
Wavefront (.obj) => Object and texture imported. UV and texture OK. Hidden objects are separated.

All object combined / Export selected
3D Max (.3ds) => Object triangulated. UV from W3D match to Blender. Textures imported. Hidden faces part of all original object
Collada (.dae) => Objects imported. UV OK. No Textures. Hidden faces part of original objects
Lightwave(.lwo) => Can't export. Error log. More details in attached print-screens
VRML (.wrl) => Object and texture imported. UV and texture OK. Hidden objects are separated.
Wavefront (.obj) => Object and texture imported. UV and texture OK. Hidden objects are separated.

All objects separated / Export

All object separated / Export selected
Collada (.dae) =>Objects imported. UV OK. No Textures. Hidden faces part of original objects

Ligtwave errors:

BR,
Hank

(01-16-2018, 11:21 AM)Nova Wrote: You can get around OBJ exporting hidden faces, by using an older version of wings. I'm using 2.0.4.

I'm pretty sure there are some Blender 3D followers who use W3D and export their work for render, so my test is small advice what's the best solution for the model. Either they use 1.5.x or 2.1.x

Hope to make some conclusion and give the advice.

BR, Hank

RE: W3D export to Blender - micheus - 01-21-2018

Hank, thanks for test and report this bug.

I would prefer you get credits by reporting it in the Bug Reports session. Anyway, I create a new thread there and linked your references. Smile