Wings 3D Development Forum
[fixed] Error processing COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [fixed] Error processing COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? (/showthread.php?tid=2691)

[fixed] Error processing COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? - Serge45 - 09-21-2018

I've tried to export a model from SketchUp in Collada format (.dae file) and then import this file into Wings3D. It always crashes even if I tried multiple combination of the export options found in Sketchup. I used a very simple cube as a test model.
Do I miss something ? Are there specific things to be done in SketchUp to get an importable model ?
SketchUp Make 2017.2.2555 64 bits
Wings3D Version: 2.1.7
OS: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition (Windows 10)
Attached are the DAE file and the crash dump.
Thanks for your help !

RE: How to import COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? - oort - 09-22-2018

Serge45,

It may be something in the .dae file that Wings3D doesn't like. Maybe something needs to be fixed in the Wings3D .dae import command? If it is a problem with Wings3D hopefully it can be fixed. I don't know if the .dae import command has been tested as much as .obj and others. You may have found a bug???

oort

RE: How to import COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? - dgud - 09-22-2018

That sounds like a bug-report and not a Howto :-)
Thanks for the files will take a look at it.

Ok, it uses parts of spec not implemented in wings, I don't know if I missed it or I used an old version of the spec.
I'll see if I can fix that.

Can SketchUp export to glb or gltf?
That is new format for 3D export from Khronos and also supported in latest wings,
and I think/hope it have better support in wings.

Collada is so hugh so I will never be able to support everything in it, but models exported from SketchUp would
be nice of course.

RE: How to import COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? - dgud - 09-22-2018

Actually it was not that hard, just an empty field where data was expected.

Improved in the next release, will not promise it is bug-free yet, though.

RE: [fixed] Error processing COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? - micheus - 09-23-2018

Serge45, thanks for your report.

You can download the patch for this issue - and others I recommend you to apply - in Fixes for v2.1.7 (Patches)

RE: [fixed] Error processing COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? - Serge45 - 09-23-2018

Tanks a lot for your very quick fix !
Asked earlier : natively Sketchup can only export COLLADA format, but extension modules may exist for exporting using other format.
Serge

Unfortunately, I've installed the patched files, but the import still crashes... I've double-checked that I put the files in their respective folder, with wpc_collada.beam in the C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.1.7\lib\wings-2.1.7\plugins\import_export.
Here is the crash dump file.
Serge

RE: [fixed] Error processing COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? - micheus - 09-23-2018

(09-23-2018, 04:58 PM)Serge45 Wrote: Unfortunately, I've installed the patched files, but the import still crashes... I've double-checked that I put the files in their respective folder, with wpc_collada.beam in the C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.1.7\lib\wings-2.1.7\plugins\import_export.
Here is the crash dump file.
I really sorry. That was my bad. I uploaded the wrong file. Blush
The right one is collada_import.beam and not wpc_collada.beam. You can find it there in the patches place.

RE: [fixed] Error processing COLLADA exported from SketchUp ? - Serge45 - 09-24-2018

No problem. It works fine now. Thanks a lot !