Wings 3D Development Forum
Wings 2.2.1 released - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Wings 2.2.1 released (/showthread.php?tid=2721)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - olve11 - 12-04-2018

(12-04-2018, 11:11 AM)olve11 Wrote: Wow! Testing now

https://youtu.be/yrGdkRVbUVs

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - micheus - 12-04-2018

It looks nice Olve11. We have a nice view of the final project now, don't we? Smile
It will look better when we add a window to control the environment settings. Wink

It was a great surprise to stumble with this article about the new release at CG Channel.com: Wings 3D developers release Wings 3D 2.2

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - KrisBee - 12-05-2018

Viewport performance becomes pretty bad at around 20k faces. :/
Completely unusable with models going past 500k

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - dgud - 12-05-2018

KrisBee which camera mode?
And is 2.2 worse than 2.1.7?

I did use your model when testing this, but it was half a year ago I wrote the rendering stuff and
I have optimized code with your model in mind but have updated shaders and code since then.
I guess I will have to measure some more.

And what OS are you on?
I know on my mac the performance was horrible on large models, but I don't know what to do about that.
On windows (with a decent graphics card) I thought it was useable.

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - KrisBee - 12-05-2018

I tried pretty much every combination of lighting, smoothing, work modes etc I could think of and I couldn't really find any combination that works well. Although, weirdly enough, turning on "quick smoothed view" does sometimes seem to improve performance slightly despite increasing the amount of polygons. Turning "work mode" off improves performance slightly when smoothing is also off.

I don't think I've tried 2.1.7. Performance now is definitely worse than what it was in 2.1.5. I can give 2.1.7. a try so I can get a comparison.

I'm on windows 10 pro.

Ok I just took 2.1.7 for a spin and models in the 20k-40k range run smooth as butter. Even very large models run pretty well and about the same in every mode.

I did notice though that after loading a large model, and turning work mode off, the viewport was very laggy and unresponsive. Once I toggled smoothing on and off performance improved in every mode.

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - dgud - 12-05-2018

Yeah I tested your model when I got home and it definitly ran better when I tested performance previously,
so I must have broken something.
Or fixed something and broke performance, will have to take a look at that Undecided

View/Auto Rotate now prints fps, so that I can measure perf, instead of just this feels better.

Hey, I spent a lot of time optimizing 2.1.6 or 2.1.7 for you and your 65k faces models :-)

2.1.7 is as good as we can do without rewriting very large parts.
2.2.x should be able to handle as large models as 2.1.7, if the graphics card can handle the shaders ok'ish, which most modern cards does.

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - dgud - 12-06-2018

Seems I was wrong again, I don't see any difference between 2.1.6, 2.1.7 and 2,2 using your "Annihilator 3" model and auto-rotate.

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - OXO - 12-06-2018

Fantastic work dgud and micheus. You guys are heroes of 3D!

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - micheus - 12-06-2018

(12-05-2018, 11:29 PM)dgud Wrote: View/Auto Rotate now prints fps, so that I can measure perf, instead of just this feels better.
Nice, that should really help us to measure that. Smile

RE: Wings 2.2.1 released - KrisBee - 12-06-2018

That's strange because I get consistently worse performance on 221 than 217. When I take a 800k model and autorotate it I get around 10 fps in 221 and 25fps in 217. (quick smooth preview on and edges hidden)

Performance also drops in both versions when smoothing is off and workmode is off or on.

I can't believe it's my hardware. i5 6600k and gtx 970.

Unfortunately wings 1.5.4 is still the gold standard.