Wings 3D Development Forum
Import Unity FBXs to Wings. - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Import Unity FBXs to Wings. (/showthread.php?tid=2888)

Import Unity FBXs to Wings. - digitaldavinci - 01-13-2020

I have the Free Character from the Unity Asset store.
I am trying to get an IK rigging done. I am using FBX converter 2013.3.
My assumption is the FBX is not IK rigged but a solid shape model that is image mapped. Maybe it is rigged but I am not in Autodesk at the moment. I tried Autocad before and ran into the corporate boon dongle.
The converted model is UVmapped but the UVmap is not available at the moment. This might be a conversion step or not possible to extract that image in this way. The FBX import in Unity shows the UVmap correctly for that is why it was created.
I used FBX converter and created an .OBJ which I then imported to Wings.
What I ended up with is a single object of the incoming mesh. This is a great step for now I have access to a large collection of models. If I have to reUVmap with an alternative image that is ok. The model is what I really want. I can then alter the model and image to gain access to full ownership as it would be unidentifiable as the original. From this point I loop cut the single object into usable parts for the progression into IK rigging in Unity using IK rigging assets or building my own. I have done this in Moray before so the experience is there.
Autodesk really went proprietary with their FBXs and now I avoid Autodesk like the plague for fear of not keeping ownership or editing of my work. One can simply google and find the loses and headaches. But not in my world. When a company does this they deserve their future plight.
I hope this helps who ever finds it.
Attached is the initial wings screens after import of obj. Pretty cool, huh? I am psyched to segment and reUVmap this bad boy to my liking!
I feel this is a good start. Unity does not have UVMapping editing abilities. Wings does this perfectly and I am thrilled to have the capability. Am able to import the image.psd file in the Unity folder into Gimp. The scale is incorrect and the image came in cropped. Will just to make more attempts. Unity reads the correctly so I know its all there.

RE: Import Unity FBXs to Wings. - micheus - 01-13-2020

The support to FBX file format was removed in wings 1.3.1.
That's good you have the option to convert your models to a intermediate model.

p.s. As this thread seems to not be related to any possible implementation of Wings3D or a plugin I'm going to move it to the Gripes & Grumbles session.

RE: Import Unity FBXs to Wings. - digitaldavinci - 01-14-2020

I was hoping this would be a new thread for export/import to Unity. Since Wings is so powerful i was hoping to build a workflow thread to Unity for this. As I increase my production output there are going to be question in the future about this. Blender and Autodesk are overriding any searches in this arena. It is my hope that this override can be combated with Wings to Unity specifics.
Or am I posting in the dark? I cant be the only one needing to do this. I am trying to alleviate the misinformation headaches.

RE: Import Unity FBXs to Wings. - micheus - 01-14-2020

It could be, but it probably have to be done for any other person than W3D developers.
This is a post from 2013 by dgud
Quote:"The fbx library we used was updated and changed pretty much, so our code was old and only worked with a paid developer package for fbx, which is why we deleted it.

Thus a new expoerter needs to written by someone."