Wings 3D Development Forum
How would you make this? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: How would you make this? (/showthread.php?tid=2940)

How would you make this? - PWD - 05-17-2020

Hi guys,

I'm new to wings 3d but in the past I used polymodeling with 3dsmax and then surface modeling with rhino.
Since you have to do some "mechanical like" thing there are no problems, but you have to have a clear idea of what you want before you start.
With wings 3d I think that what you do, can be a start point for what you want to achieve because you see directly what you're doing.
So please, how would you make this?

The internal hole for the finger is 18mm in diameter and the stone is 5mm in diameter.

Do you think it's achievable?
Let me know, please.

Thanks
Marco

RE: How would you make this? - micheus - 05-17-2020

Tip from Dropbox support: in order to share images from Dropbox you can replace the termination in the image link ?dl=0 by ?raw=1
[table][tr]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]
Quote:The internal hole for the finger is 18mm in diameter and the stone is 5mm in diameter.
Wings3D doesn't works with any specific metric system. We are going to be talking about WU (Wings3D Unit) and you may need to achieve its relationship with the application you will export your model. I've talked about this recently in this post.

Quote:Do you think it's achievable?
Yes.
It will be easily? Maybe not so trivial. But, I'm going try to prepare some steps to reach at least that shape.

RE: How would you make this? - PWD - 05-18-2020

Hi Micheus,

thanks for your reply.
Understood about dropbox! Thanks
Ok for the unit, I red it about the no-unit system of wings 3d... but it's just for reference; I think that 18WU and 5WU could be the same as 18mm and 5mm when imported in another software or exported in stl... right?
I'm wondering why it's not so trivialDodgy

Thanks a lot!
Marco

RE: How would you make this? - micheus - 05-18-2020

Quote:I think that 18WU and 5WU could be the same as 18mm and 5mm when imported in another software or exported in stl... right?
For STL maybe in accordance with a post made by one user which tested in his 3D printer. For other formats, I think only DAE has a more specific option for that (as in that post was said).

So, about the how to make this ring question...

There are many ways to build it, for sure. Someone can use a different approach of modeling from the one I used or can do most the task using boolean tool (in this case, usually we have extra work adjusting the mesh).
I'm going to show some steps to get the basic shape for this ring. The refinement I will skip - to much work. Smile

I started preparing the references using the images you linked and load them with Image Plane (front and top).
[Image: 01-preparing-references.png]
At the end the reference seems to not be so accurate, since when I scaled the ring to have the 18mm in the inner circumference the diamond diameter was greater than the 5mm you said. So, the steps are more a guide, but without precision.

I stated by creating the very basic ring shape using a Tube primitive:
[Image: 02-initial-shape.png]

I started my approach using Virtual Mirror over half of the tube, but I ended by realising that was not relevant in this step. So, once you understand the sequence of commands you can ignore this part when I created a virtual mirror:
[Image: 03-preparing-for-mirror.png]

The start point here is using the virtual mirror to replicate the other half of the object. But, you need only to work in half it if because we are going to replicate these work for all the "four quadrant" of the object (left-right and back-front):
[Image: 04-preparing-tweak.png]

Here is when we replicate the area we worked to the other quadrants:
[Image: 05-preparing-faces.png]

These next two images will show how to build the base shape of this ring:
[Image: 06-preparing-object.png]

[Image: 07-reaching-the-base-mesh.png]

Here is the final result. No much polishment or other missing details, but it looks similar to the one in the image you shared.
What I took care was about the mesh arrangement. As you can see, the Work Mode shows the model almost as smooth as after apply Smooth Preview (which will make one subdivision):
[Image: Ring-Final.png]

RE: How would you make this? - PWD - 05-18-2020

Argh... it's amazing!!!! You're a boss!
No words, but it seems so difficult! How much time did you spend for this model?

RE: How would you make this? - micheus - 05-19-2020

I can't measure, because I needed to look for steps that woul be easy for you to reproduce (I made it once). Capture a screenshot at each step, put into paint brush, cut and assembly each of these charts, add the legend. So that took longer than usual. Biggrin

I also use to not be in a hurry when modeling. I try to think in the further steps that I can avoid (It's the way it try to learn from each model I make).
I'm not a artist, I just know something about Wings3D.
Surely, someone else would make it faster than me.

Anyway, in this process, stoping for the dinner, talk and other do stuffs I spent around 7h - it's a lot of time. I definitely would not make money from creating "how to". Biggrin

The hardest part is the one I didn't show how to make - the finàl one - create the bevels.

RE: How would you make this? - PWD - 05-19-2020

Believe me: you're an artist for sure.
7hrs with all that things in between is not a lot of time if you think you're creating something that you can produce in several pieces.Cool
I was a moderator, also, in the past and now I'm not rich... you're rightWink

Quote:The hardest part is the one I didn't show how to make - the finàl one - create the bevels.

Actually, for production, it's not important to have beveled edges because of the buffing of the surface. I use to leave crease edge on the jewels because they become round when i polish them.
But for the rendering, the edge should be roundedSad

RE: How would you make this? - oort - 05-19-2020

Micheus never stops amazing me with what he can create with Wings3D (Models and Wings3D updates) Smile

Also want to mention a website where you can download 3d models of jewels for free for non-commercial use. I cannot remember for sure but I think I had to invert the models in Wings3D because they were inside out. Been a long time since I used them so may have been another website where I had to invert the models (I am getting old)... 3D Lapidary

oort

RE: How would you make this? - PWD - 05-23-2020

Want to thank you for your effort and for share with me your workflow and the model!

Thanks a lot!
Marco