Wings 3D Development Forum
STL support - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: STL support (/showthread.php?tid=2961)

STL support - imagine - 07-22-2020

Hello,

I like wings 3d a lot and I use it to model figures and shapes I then print in a 3d print by exporting to STL.

The problem is generated STL always creates figures too small so I always have to rescale them in a factor of x1000 or more.

For example, using wings3d 2.2.6 I insert a cube of dimensions 2x2x2 (just the default dimensions), then export to STL and open the exported file with ultimaker Cura slicer and cura automatically scales it up in a factor of 10000% of origianal size having a cube of 200x200x200 mm

This means a scale of 1000% results in a cube of 20x20x20 mm, 100% is 2x2x2 mm, 10% is 0.2x0.2x0.2 mm and real size is 0.02x0.02x0.02 mm , too small I think

why is this? I suppose it's realated with the fact that wings3d has no real units when modeling but own unit scheme, anyway it should have a way to assign a wings3d unit to a IS unit (mm for example) when exporting to STL and maybe other formats or at least a way to select a unit mapping or set a proportion scheme for units

regards

RE: STL support - oort - 07-22-2020

I am not sure if the developers can add this or not.

I found the following information about STL units, which I found interesting. Blender, Solidworks, and Sketchup export info is also available on the website.

STL Units

Some file export options in Wings3D do allow the user to set the scale. Collada export even lets the user set the units. Since STL files do not include units information in them it may be more complicated to add that option to STL file export???

oort

RE: STL support - imagine - 07-22-2020

I see, so it's a problem of STL slicer more than 3d modeler (wings in this case)

It's a pity because it's really annoying. It's should be great if units could be part of STL format, maybe next version

Anyway it would be interesting to have a form to control exporting parameters and choose some preferences, for example, you can select scale factor to export, this way I can export to STL scaling x1000% or even handling profiles or settings

thanks for your reply

RE: STL support - oort - 07-23-2020

imagine,

There has been more discussion about 3d printing in this forum. You may have already seen the other threads but here are a few in case you did not see them.

With Makerbot Replicator 2 3d Printer 1WU(Wings Unit) = 1mm (See link below)

Units to metric

STL for Makerbot

3D Printing Tools

oort

RE: STL support - imagine - 07-24-2020

thanks! I'm reading

RE: STL support - micheus - 07-24-2020

Linking my answer to your another post in the other thread: What length in pixels does a Wings3D unit of measurement equate to?

RE: STL support - oort - 07-28-2020

imagine,

I found information on why some models are scaled up by Cura. If you export a cube that is 3x3x3 instead of 2x2x2 the model will import without being scaled.

There is a setting in Cura named "Scale Extremely small models" that can be turned off. It is under "Opening and Saving files" in the "General" section of "Preferences" in Cura.

Why is Cura Auto Scaling

With the plugin changes that Micheus has worked on, you could either export as 1WU = 1cm or set the export scale to 2.0

oort

RE: STL support - qewer3322 - 08-03-2020

Kinda late but you can use the bounding box also, works pretty good. And another thing, just scroll out a few times, the grid becomes bigger (1cm). My models slices with the correct measurements on cura.