Wings 3D Development Forum
[plugin / feature requests] Vertex colour picker - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: [plugin / feature requests] Vertex colour picker (/showthread.php?tid=3027)

[plugin / feature requests] Vertex colour picker - slight - 07-19-2021

I would very much like to be able to select a colour for vertex painting by clicking something of that colour, like the eyedropper tool in most 2D apps.

This would mean if there were a gradient across a face and and you picked somewhere in the middle, a new colour would be added to the palette and automatically selected. Otherwise, if the colour already exists in the palette it would simply become the selected colour.

While I am here making wishes, something else that would be fantastic is a non-destructive ambient occlusion, i.e. one that multiplies any existing vertex colours rather than overwriting them.

RE: [plugin / feature requests] Vertex colour picker - oort - 07-19-2021

In versions of Wings3D before version 2.0 we had the "Eyedropper tool" within the material properties dialog. I miss that feature and would love to have that back as well.

oort

RE: [plugin / feature requests] Vertex colour picker - micheus - 07-19-2021

AO makes use of vertex colour property. When it's computed the vertex colour stores it's respective value (colour).

If you want use both at same time you have the option to unwrap your mesh and paint it with the vertex colour after apply the AO. Now you have an AO texture that can be mixed with the new colours you want to paint.

RE: [plugin / feature requests] Vertex colour picker - slight - 07-19-2021

I have used a similar method in the past, yeah. baking vertex color to texture, then smoothing and baking the AO to texture, then undo the smooth, remove all vertex colors and combine the two in photoshop as a starting point for texturing...

For this project though, in Unity I'm using a vertex color x matcap shader, no textures or UV necessary which saves a ton of time and effort. I could (and have in the past) export them twice, once in VC and once in AO, then write a script in Unity that multiplies the colors of both meshes to get the final vertex color - it's an awkward workflow, and I can't export the final model back to Wings to make changes, but it's still easier than UV mapping dozens of models. Unfortunately that script is long gone, guess I will have to rewrite it.

RE: [plugin / feature requests] Vertex colour picker - Nova - 09-30-2021

Quote:For this project though, in Unity I'm using a vertex color x matcap shader, no textures or UV necessary which saves a ton of time and effort. I could (and have in the past) export them twice, once in VC and once in AO, then write a script in Unity that multiplies the colors of both meshes to get the final vertex color - it's an awkward workflow, and I can't export the final model back to Wings to make changes, but it's still easier than UV mapping dozens of models.

I have used models made in Wings3D in Unity for many years, but never found a good and fast workflow to export models from Wings where they retain the vertex colors.

I'm very curious to hear what your workflow for this is! I hope you see this message and share your method Smile

RE: [plugin / feature requests] Vertex colour picker - slight - 09-25-2023

Wow, ridiculously late reply, sorry! I only now just came back to this thread after years. 

Probably you already found the answer, but .dae format allows you to export with vertex colours that can be imported in Unity. 
Back in the day, fbx format could do it too, but we lost fbx export in wings a long time ago.