Wings 3D Development Forum
DOF in camera Yafaray - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: DOF in camera Yafaray (/showthread.php?tid=3037)

DOF in camera Yafaray - Theob - 09-07-2021

Hi, i am wondering how can we calculate the proper DOF of camera in Yafaray render? i tried to use the value in View--->Camera setting but it does not work. Thank you !

RE: DOF in camera Yafaray - oort - 09-07-2021

Theob,

I don't know about "proper" DOF. When I played with DOF in the past I made adjustments till I was happy with the results. Are you not getting any DOF or is it too strong?

In YafaRay Render Options > Camera Tab > Set f-stop to 8 and adjust from there. The larger the f-stop the less blur in the test I just did.

I also used the following settings:
Camera set to "Perspective"
DOF type "Triangle"
Bias "Center"
DOF Rotation "24"
DOF Distance "8.5" (Adjust this to control blur along with f-stop)

The scale of your models and zooming in and out will also make a difference.

Here is an example I posted a long time ago (October 2013).
DOF Statues

I hope this helps some.
oort

RE: DOF in camera Yafaray - Theob - 09-08-2021

Hi oort, thank you for your tips. That works nicely. On the other hand, i figured out the work around to put the object in range of focal view. For instance, i will create 3 objects (assumingly the middle one is the one in focal range) then measure the distance of the closest vs furthest vertices. Hence, the number should be a good initial value to predict the right one for the object in the middle. I guess it could be even closer if we take the object dimensions into account. Of course, the smaller f-stop the deeper DOF it will provide.

I wish Wings3D will implement that calculate functionality into the plugin as Blender so as long as we pick the object, we need not to worry about the DOF distance. Nevertheless, it is an awesome program.

Happy yafaraying !

RE: DOF in camera Yafaray - oort - 09-08-2021

Theob,

Glad the info helped. Thanks for the tip on finding an approximate DOF distance.

I don't know if it is possible to add an inquiry for DOF distance under the Tools menu. If it can be done, Micheus would be the one that can make that happen... Smile

I hope you will post a render of your model with DOF in the Gallery section of the Wings3D forum.

oort

RE: DOF in camera Yafaray - Theob - 09-12-2021

Here is a little update about DOF with yafaray.
  1. 1

1. 2

1. 3

The difference of DOF's values are just the estimated distances of the vertices among 3 objects (13.24, 8.4 and 6.15 for the cube, spring and sphere, respectively).

As if it is all about the initial distance between camera and object .So either creating a virtual tripod (anything that helps to estimate the distance between vertices) or using save view (this is how Wings3D name "From +Z+X+Y towards +Z+X distance 13.24").

Also if the object is large, using larger F-stop value for larger DOF (deeper is correct term but idk why) will help.

Happy Yafaraying!

RE: DOF in camera Yafaray - micheus - 09-12-2021

I'm going to take a look if there is something I can do about that.
Wings3D doesn't show us any camera and DOF is not used by it, so this information doesn't exist exits anyware.

Something that may help with that is to use the Aim information since this information is used by the camera when we are moving around the Aim element.

RE: DOF in camera Yafaray - Theob - 09-13-2021

Having a physical camera will definitely help along with implementing the DOF in yafaray as in Blender. Anyways, that sounds wonder Micheus. Thank you !