Wings 3D Development Forum
texture the inside of a model - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: texture the inside of a model (/showthread.php?tid=304)

texture the inside of a model - gobblegob - 05-05-2013

Hello I have just started using Wings (today) and find it quite easy to get around thanks to the youtube channel.
I am facing a problem and I cannot find anything on these forums or google.

I am trying to create a cave, where only the inside is textured, but it seems you can only texture the outside of an object. I have found a workaround by creating a tube and selecting all the outside faces and selecting "hole" to remove them but I dont like this as I wish to start with other shapes.

So my question again is "Can I texture the inside of an object and not the outside?"

Sorry if my terminology of a bit off but like I said first time using wings (or 3d modeling)

any help would be awesome and appreciated, maybe I am not searching the right key works because im not clued up on the lingo.

Thanks in advanced

Warren.

RE: texture the inside of a model - Fonte Boa - 05-05-2013

A picture would aid to clarify the situation.

Dont imagine the objects in Wings have "inside" and "outside" faces. Concept them as a uniform surface with a single side. Of course you can build a cave in it. For example, you can build a box, smooth it, select some adjacent faces, extrude them into the center of the box etc. This would be the correct way to build a cave. All the "walls" should have some thickness, they cant be just a "zero" thick wall.

It is very common people ask for some way to deal with geometries without thickness. For example, take a cube, select a face, make a "hole" with that face and then the confusion begins. "How can i manipulate the 'inside' faces of this cube?" My answer is: there is no "inside" faces. Wings is a box modelling, the surface must have thickness.

Build your geometries like in real world, ie, keeping their thickness. Forget the idea of have a cube without a face and with an inside faces conjunt and an outside one.

RE: texture the inside of a model - puzzledpaul - 05-05-2013

Similar to FB's comments ... imagine a cup / mug.

Lay this (preferably empty) on its side on a table and you've essentially got a cave. No conceptual difference.

Main difference - I imagine - with what you're after is that the mug's external shape matches the cavity, whereas a hill (say) would be a completely different shape from the cave in its side.

So the hill + cave is basically a mug with non uniform thickness walls Smile

pp

RE: texture the inside of a model - orbiter - 05-06-2013

I also had this as a stumbling block when I got started. I think of it as a piece of modelling clay. You can start from a cube, cylinder or what you will but it is always a solid lump. You can not start from a single sided piece of paper.

It is possible that no one will ever see the Outside of the cave but it must be there, even if its just 0.1cmm thick. Almost as if the wallpaper is thicker than the wall, the wall must still exist.

To allow you the move the camera and position things you may wish to built it is two halves and then "weld" them at the end.

RE: texture the inside of a model - gobblegob - 05-06-2013

(05-05-2013, 05:35 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: A picture would aid to clarify the situation.

Dont imagine the objects in Wings have "inside" and "outside" faces. Concept them as a uniform surface with a single side. Of course you can build a cave in it. For example, you can build a box, smooth it, select some adjacent faces, extrude them into the center of the box etc. This would be the correct way to build a cave. All the "walls" should have some thickness, they cant be just a "zero" thick wall.

It is very common people ask for some way to deal with geometries without thickness. For example, take a cube, select a face, make a "hole" with that face and then the confusion begins. "How can i manipulate the 'inside' faces of this cube?" My answer is: there is no "inside" faces. Wings is a box modelling, the surface must have thickness.

Build your geometries like in real world, ie, keeping their thickness. Forget the idea of have a cube without a face and with an inside faces conjunt and an outside one.

Thanks heaps guys, yeah it makes a lot more sense now. I was able to make my cave in a few minutes after realizing this Smile

I really appreciate the help.