Wings 3D Development Forum
[W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: [W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... (/showthread.php?tid=3073)

[W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - micheus - 06-01-2022

Besides other things I've been doing, I found some time to try build this gizmo/controller that time to time someone asks if we have it on Wings3D.

After a couple of work I got it working on screen space related to the word space:
[Image: gizmo.gif]

I'm already able to identify the commands from where the user pick it in the controller.

Now I need to implement the actions itself.

[Image: wings3d-gizmo-plugin.png]
Arrows = move commands
Square = scale commands
Circle/Arc = rotate commands

White = screen operations, like Free/Uniform option for these commands

I took a look in many 3D apps and I found the all in one gizmo like this very handy.

It's needed to invoke the command to use it and finish it after the use.
It will be convenient set a hotkey for starting it.To finish I'm assuming the RMB (as we do for all commands), ESC and ENTER.

RE: [W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - KrisBee - 06-03-2022

Neat! Are you planing on adding increment controls to it? Like rotate/scale/move by certain preset steps when holding shift, crtl or alt?

RE: [W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - micheus - 06-05-2022

Sure. The way we already have.

RE: [W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - micheus - 06-21-2022

I've been working slowly on this (as usual Smile).

I'm still not sure about to keep the Wings3D's behaviour in which moving the mouse left-right/down-up increase values or if this movement should match with the axis direction we see on screen, because being on the negative side of the axis and using that behaviours the movement looks weird.

On the other hand, that can cause confusion for those who has used to work this way. (Maybe?!)

Does anyone has something to say that can help me to choose the "better" way?

Moving...

[Image: gizmo-move.gif]

Scaling...

[Image: gizmo-scale.gif]

RE: [W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - oort - 06-21-2022

Micheus,
The Gizmo is looking very good. I have very little experience with using Gizmos so I cannot help with what would be best. I would say do what you feel is best but others may say one way is better than the other. Smile

Can you make that a setting that the user can set in preferences?

Thanks,
oort

RE: [W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - micheus - 06-21-2022

Quote:Can you make that a setting that the user can set in preferences?
I've been thinking about that too although I think it can difficult my life as coder. Smile

Thanks for your opinion.

RE: [W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - ismacou - 06-27-2022

Hello. That gizmo looks great. I expect it to have local/global coordinate modes. Thanks.

RE: [W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - micheus - 06-28-2022

Thanks.
Yeah, that option should be available. I just need to make it work appropriately in local mode first.

RE: [W.I.P] Gizmo / Controller / Manipulator ... - nigec - 06-29-2022

very cool, well done Smile