Wings 3D Development Forum
What Camera Mode Do You Use? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: What Camera Mode Do You Use? (/showthread.php?tid=31)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - optigon - 12-12-2012

The main problem with modifiers is from a programming perspective. For instance when programming something like Tweak, there are so many modifier combos that are off limits in certain camera modes, and they all require exceptions.

Not just that, but there are many features requiring special access through modifiers plus mouse buttons: menus, box selections, Tweak. Tweak has cause me many headaches and I'm not altogether pleased with the compromises as they stand, but it's too much to get into.

Anyway, I always worry that modifers will cause probelms later. Not that wings will make it onto a tablet, but I've tried to imagine how to accomidate a 3d manipulation interface on that kind of device; no keyboard, no modifiers, no mouse.

But even without jumping to the extreme of a Tablet Interface, Wings has very little room for wiggling in some more modifiers to add quick access to possible new features. This is a bigger problem with the camera modes that are not entered into and separated like the Wings 3d camera mode.

Each camera mode is slightly different, and between the 8(!) of them, they cover a large number of key combos. This is why supporting 8 camera mode is a bad idea from a programming perspective.

All that said, since the Wings 3d Camera Mode is separated to some degree, since we enter into it via a MMB click, while inside, modifiers are fairly benign. So CTRL+MMB could work while the camera is tumble active.

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - oort - 12-12-2012

Quote:All that said, since the Wings 3d Camera Mode is separated to some degree, since we enter into it via a MMB click, while inside, modifiers are fairly benign. So CTRL+MMB could work while the camera is tumble active.

CTRL+MMB would be great for this new zoom mode. Hopefully when you say "could work" you mean it "would work"... Smile

Yes, I realized the hypocrisy in my complaint about using Q when I use Alt, after thinking about it.... I was just hoping you wouldn't notice... Smile

oort

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - PeterC (PC) - 12-12-2012

Hah Biggrin nah Q is weird, complain away. I just meant if using two hands anyway (to press the alt) then should be ok to press Ctrl too :}
ALTernativly maybe Alt could work?.. 3dsmax mode uses alt modifier for camera control for example, and the alt+scroll wheel zooming still works as well.
So either Ctrl or Alt, + MMB while cam is started = dolly. Good stuff
P.S I see what you mean Opti, tweak has the Ctrl+RMB for tweak menu.. in direct conflict with 2btn mouse Nendo mode cam start for example.. yikes :E

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - optigon - 12-12-2012

(12-12-2012, 06:31 PM)PeterC (PC) Wrote: P.S I see what you mean Opti, tweak has the Ctrl+RMB for tweak menu.. in direct conflict with 2btn mouse Nendo mode cam start for example.. yikes :E

No one has voted that they use that mode yet though Tongue

The Wings 3D mode is an evolution of the Mirai mode camera, and if we add smooth scroll, it will be more complete.

I have to admit that Q is a weird key for camera ops though.

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - Korado3D - 12-12-2012

I use Maya camera mode, big fan of [alt]+Left-click drag for rotation, though in tweak mode 'alt' is used for changing magnet influence and it gets a little tricky, but no real problem.

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - Geta-Ve - 12-13-2012

(12-12-2012, 09:33 PM)Korado3D Wrote: I use Maya camera mode, big fan of [alt]+Left-click drag for rotation, though in tweak mode 'alt' is used for changing magnet influence and it gets a little tricky, but no real problem.

Yes... -_-

This is my biggest gripe with Tweak currently, is the Alt modifier being used to change the influence. I literally can not count how many times I have mistakenly changed the influence because I was trying to pan/rotate/zoom.

At this point, even still taking in to consideration the fact that only 17 votes were made, I'd feel safe getting rid of Mirai, Nendo, Motionbuilder and Sketchup. I've made the argument against Mirai and Nendo already, but a new point can also be taken into consideration, the fact that Wings3D mode was, as optigon pointed out, a replacement of sorts for the two modes.

*shrug*

It would be great to get some more votes up in here. Wonder if it would be worth throwing in a little intro window in the next Wings version asking people to vote. Or at least telling them that some modes MAY be taken out.

:O

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - oort - 12-13-2012

Maybe something other than Alt should be used for adjusting the blue sphere??? Although this would mess up people who are used to Alt... Sad

In my opinion we need to keep Nendo for people who do not have a three button mouse or are using a laptop without scroll wheel. I don't know how many people use Wings3D on laptops. I have a friend who did this.

oort

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - Geta-Ve - 12-13-2012

Ohhh right, the three button mouse issue... lol. My bad!

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - Fonte Boa - 12-13-2012

<<Maybe something other than Alt should be used for adjusting the blue sphere??? Although this would mess up people who are used to Alt...>>

Hi, oort. Smile There is no clear solution for this, oort: if you transfer this function from Alt to Ctrl or Shift, this will affect all the Blender, MotionBuilder and SketchUp camera users!!!!!!!!!! And they never have this kind of problem because Alt is not used for their camera movements.

As Korado said: "I use Maya camera mode, big fan of [alt]+Left-click drag for rotation, though in tweak mode 'alt' is used for changing magnet influence and it gets a little tricky, but no real problem. " My situation is almost identical, except for the fact that, as 3ds max camera user, i use [alt]+MMB drag for rotation. Smile

I think this is becoming an endless "discussion", Geta.......

RE: What Camera Mode Do You Use? - PeterC (PC) - 12-13-2012

I thought of some alternatives for tweak influence adjustment etc.. but then you people had to come along with your Maya and 3DSmax cam modes and their use of ALT and CTRL and ruin all my ideas Biggrin
Argh! I can't take this anymore, I quit! you people write your own damn code! [Image: angry.gif]
Oh wait, nevermind.. I'm not one of the devs/coders.. phew Tongue