Wings 3D Development Forum
[solved] Mouse Skipping - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [solved] Mouse Skipping (/showthread.php?tid=32)

Pages: 1 2

[solved] Mouse Skipping - Geta-Ve - 11-18-2012

Hmmm, where to begin. If I am not mistaken this issue was either introduced (to me) when the new Tweak tool was implemented, or, sometime around there.

The issue, to put it simply, is that the mouse will intermittently skip / jump with absolutely no predictability. Keep in mind that I am always in Tweak mode, with magnets off and on (happens either way).

This can be beyond frustrating, but I have just 'dealt' with it in the past simply because development had slowed right down, and ... I couldn't be bothered writing a bug report. Tongue

So, any relevant information I can provide?

Windows 7 x64 (all the latest updates)
nVidia Geforce 8800gtx - driver v310.33
Razer Death Adder mouse

Also, if I am not mistaken, there is some kind of arbitrary 'mouse skipping' fix in the Wings preferences that does absolutely nothing for me. Tongue

If you need any more information feel free to ask. Smile

RE: Mouse Skipping - optigon - 11-18-2012

So this option is checked?:

Preferences>Misc> Camera moves and interactive commands are jumpy

RE: Mouse Skipping - Fonte Boa - 11-18-2012

The problem is specific to Tweak operations?
How did you set
Tweak/Axis Constraints/[from Cursor|from Element|from Default Point]? Did you hotkeyed that? Maybe a conflict with these hotkeys, if they was set?

RE: Mouse Skipping - Geta-Ve - 11-19-2012

So, I tried for an hour to get it to happen with no results... awkward. lol. It has plagued me for years now. It honestly feels random with no rhyme or reason. The only consistency I can find is that I almost always have Tweak enabled (as it is enabled by default), and I save constantly. Other than that, everything is up for debate methinks.

Specific circumstances that I know for a fact it has happened in;

Slide ops
Camera movement
Tweak ops
Extrude ops

In a lot of cases it will present itself at the start of the operation. For instance, if I am invoking a slide op, straight away it will almost snap / jump to some random distance. Another example, when rotating around my model it will randomly jump to some other location.

@optigon - I have tried with that setting both applied and unapplied, it doesn't have any effect.

@Fonte - I don't use constraints. Smile

RE: Mouse Skipping - puzzledpaul - 11-19-2012

<< I don't use constraints >>

Why not?

Please don't tell us that for rotating something 15 deg (say) that you use the tab box?

pp

RE: Mouse Skipping - Geta-Ve - 11-19-2012

I could tell you that I don't, but it would be a lie... lol

My position isn't one of superiority , it is simply that I have never delved into the Wings constraint system. I really couldn't tell you anything about them. But to be very honest I almost never have need of them, or at least, I feel that I don't?

Then again, I didn't really see much use in the Sweep function till I watched Fonte's video earlier today, so ... Yeah. lol

I am not against using them, I just never have. Tongue

RE: Mouse Skipping - optigon - 11-20-2012

Try checking:
Preferences>Misc> Camera moves steal focus
and the jumpy commands option.

Camera moves steal focus is supposedly only a linux issue, but maybe it will help. I'm on linux and I require this setting to be checked if I am going to use Tweak.

RE: Mouse Skipping - Geta-Ve - 11-20-2012

I've also tried that previously to no avail... Tongue

Apologies for not mentioning this earlier.

RE: Mouse Skipping - Geta-Ve - 12-20-2012

here's a video of a particularly bad experience. Notice that it mostly happens while magnets are enabled.

http://youtu.be/R_4VEu10Nkc

(did we get rid of the embedding stuff? I have no WYSIWYG menu)

RE: Mouse Skipping - optigon - 12-20-2012

So at the end of the video, does Camera Moves Steal Focus seems to work doesn't it?

(Embed with the tv icon)