Wings 3D Development Forum
Tutorial Request - Making A Plugin for Wings 3D - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Tutorial Request - Making A Plugin for Wings 3D (/showthread.php?tid=324)

Tutorial Request - Making A Plugin for Wings 3D - DreamBliss - 05-29-2013

I am a former Max user who wants to start using Wings 3D. Not only that, I want to create plugins for it. Specifically, I want to create an exporter for MOUL (Myst Online Uru Live) ages.

This will be a very complex process because essentially Cyan turned 3DS Max into a level editor with their plugin for Max. I have to figure out how to do the same thing in Wings 3D.

I have some programming knowledge, and am currently working through the mires of C++. After Googling around for help learning how to create a plugin, all I have learned is that I will probably have to understand Erlang, and that there is some sort of strange initiation going on where newcomers to Wings 3D plugin development are expected essentially to dive in and figure things out for themselves :/

Well I say screw the initiation! I just want a step-by-step easy-to-follow process from A (no plugin) to B (plugin) for creating a simple Hello World! (or equivalent) plugin for Wings 3D, and I would also like all the information I need for the more advanced stuff.

So this is a request for that information. Ideally this could be done using video tutorials. But written is fine. If the information is out there, and up-to-date, I would appreciate a link to it. I have found very little so far.

Also if there is any way this can be coded in C++ and then taken into Erlang, I would like to know about that as well. Unless the two languages are so similar that it's pretty easy to understand one if you understand the other.

Right now Wings 3D is the only free modeller that stands even a remote chance of holding its own against Max and Maya. Yes I know Blender is out there, but its counter-intuitive controls and complicated interface make it a poor contender in my opinion.

Wings 3D is simple and easy-to-use, and if everything is available to make it easy to develop for I think it could eventually be just as powerful as Max or Maya.

So your help is greatly appreciated on this!

RE: Tutorial Request - Making A Plugin for Wings 3D - oort - 05-29-2013

DreamBliss,
Welcome to the forum and glad to hear you are interested in writing plug-ins for Wings3D. I am a big fan of Myst (Myst,Riven,Exile,Real Myst). Haven't played in many many years... Sad

Here are a couple of links that may help some...

How to write Wings3D plug-ins

Wings3D Erlang Shell Learning Basics

I am just a hacker of existing plug-ins so my knowledge is very limited. Ask specific questions and this thread can become a source of information for all interested in writing plug-ins.

Since Wings3D does not do animation it may be unfair to compare it to Max or Maya or Blender. Due to the poly limits in Wings3D, modeling tools that increase polys to high levels may not work well in Wings3D. So it will probably never be as powerful as those mentioned but it does compete very well with them. Due to its ease of use it is great for hobbyists like me... Smile

Somewhere there is info on writing an exporter. I will try to find it. You could start by looking at the code in one of the existing exporter plug-ins. Just grab the source and start digging in.

Edit: Here is the starter code for writing an exporter... Exporter Starting point

Hope this helps some... Smile

Edit2: There is more info in the old forum. If you find things that are helpful it might be good to copy it here since no one goes to the old forum anymore. It is used as an archive now. Here is a link to a thread in the old forum on compiling Wings3d.... Compiling Wings3d. Use for general information. The links will probably take you to old files... Sad

oort

RE: Tutorial Request - Making A Plugin for Wings 3D - micheus - 05-29-2013

Wellcome DreamBliss.

I did the same question three years ago and we still can't get a ready answer. Huh

Erlang should not be a problem for you and write a exporter would be not so complicated than other sort of stuff since there are many exporters ready for checking and they can help you to find the data you will need to manage.

The integration with C++ is possible, but is not desired (if I'm not wrong). You can take a look at the ESDL sources that makes the integration between SDL and Erlang. If you want just start writing the plugin, I suggest your don't wast your time checking this now. Just think about pure Erlang.

Besides the links oort has posted I have this one (Coding Guidelines for Wings developers) and other two for you: link1 and link2

The sources your must get it from dgud github repository (rebar, cl, esdl and wings - in order of build). There were a few changes to the build process these days by the addition of rebar. Pay attention to the readme files.

What is your OS environment?

Any doubt you have can be posted here - we'll share what we know. Smile

RE: Tutorial Request - Making A Plugin for Wings 3D - DreamBliss - 06-03-2013

Thank you all for your replies, and the code to study. That should be enough to get me started.

oort: If you love Myst you should download and play Myst Online Uru Live Again (MOULa). It's free. Unfortunately you have to go through a few hoops to get an account up and running, as when I did it the signup page was down. But Cyan is still running a free server that you can play Uru, with all its enhancements over the years (including the Gametap stuff.) Also you can use the Ghen shard and register for that fairly easily at the Guild of Writers forums.

micheus: I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I was sort of aware that Wings 3D did not have animation capabilities built in. They are only needed for making switches and interactive elements in MOULa so not really important to me. But I would like to see some simple animation functionality built into Wings 3D.

BTW did the author of that "Inside Wings 3D Plugins" ever get the title finished and released? Not finding it anywhere.

OK, well I have a lot to work with here so you probably won't hear from me again unless I have a specific question. Thank you again!

RE: Tutorial Request - Making A Plugin for Wings 3D - oort - 06-03-2013

DreamBliss,
I will have to check out Myst online...

Unfortunately "Inside Wings 3D Plugins" was only a bit of humor that has tricked quite a few people. He should write the book to fill the need... Smile

I too would like to see some form of limited animation in Wings3D. I would like to be able to drop a plane on a table and have it form a table cloth. No need to see it in motion. A very simple key framer might be nice to???

When you make some progress start a new thread so we can see your work.

oort