Wings 3D Development Forum
Translations - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Translations (/showthread.php?tid=34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Translations - TulipVorlax - 11-18-2012

Hi,

Is there anything new about translating Wings 3D, or is it working the same ?

The last Wings version i have installed is 1.4.1.137.g5ee2 comming from GitHub i think, and there's a lot of untranslated strings, mainly related to the toolbar at the top of the right click menu.

My way of working on the french translation was to open the english file and the french file side by side in Notepad++ and any change i see i copy to the other side if it's new or update the translation as needed.

I really dont like when untranslated strings get added at the end of the french file...

If i can work on completing the french translation, i might try to force the new version on my friend artist since yesterday he was trying to open a big OBJ file but his old Wings version wasn't even able to finish reading it. Might not solve his problem though.

See ya all.

RE: Translations - TulipVorlax - 11-19-2012

Some time after my previous message, i realised that my current installation of Wings wasn't using my latest translation that can be found on GitHub.
So, i wanted to try installing it. I have a small VB.Net app that i'm using for this. But, last time i used it i was still on Windows XP (now on Windows 7 Ultimate). So it wasn't working properly at first, it wasn't able to get Wings install path from the registry.
I opened the solution file and SharpDevelop ask me to convert the thing to a more recent framework version, i chose version 4. After the conversion, it was accessing the registry again, but it had another bug wich in turn cause another one. I wont give all details, but i managed to fix those.
That will be very important to me because when i update the translation files, i need something to rapidly put them in place and test things out.
Sadly, i'm under the impression that many string are hard coded in wings version 1.4.1.137.g5ee2, should i get a more recent one from GitHub ?

RE: Translations - micheus - 11-19-2012

TulipVorlax, I think you should use the lang files you will find in the dgud's pu branch - that will be used for build the next release.

Quote:i'm under the impression that many string are hard coded
I'm not sure this is the right term, but the default strings (english) are really added to the source code.
I think you may know, but the lang files are generated/updated when you compile Wings - you can use "make lang" to assure you will get all the lang files updated

I hope someone can explain this for you - better than I. Smile

RE: Translations - optigon - 11-20-2012

TulipVorlax,
As you said, you are using the last Snapshot that Dan made, which was a year ago (Nov 2011).

Perhaps it would be better to wait until we get a pre-release out. Then all the translations can be made before the actual release.

Micheus, you describe the process correctly Smile

Code:
make lang

This produces lang files.

RE: Translations - TulipVorlax - 11-21-2012

Hum, ok.
After adding my last translation files to Wings 1.4.1.137.g5ee2, most english strings went away (even in the new icons at the top of the context menu) except for the "Sulpt" tool.
Maybe it's because that one use it's own lang file and it's not included in my translation yet. I sometimes had to create a french lang file from scratch (copying the english file). I should check this...

RE: Translations - optigon - 11-21-2012

(11-21-2012, 01:39 PM)TulipVorlax Wrote: Hum, ok.
After adding my last translation files to Wings 1.4.1.137.g5ee2, most english strings went away (even in the new icons at the top of the context menu) except for the "Sulpt" tool.
Maybe it's because that one use it's own lang file and it's not included in my translation yet. I sometimes had to create a french lang file from scratch (copying the english file). I should check this...

Sounds like you want to start right away Smile

If you do find some strings not yet translated in the last snapshot, we can add any work you do to the master before the next release.

RE: Translations - TulipVorlax - 11-21-2012

Quote:Sounds like you want to start right away

Not really, even tough i have more free time than most people, i never know in advance when i will really have the time to do something like this and when i might have it, i might not be in the mood.

It never bothered me much since the in the open source world it's supposed that people contribute to the project when they can or when they want.

Beside i'm not even really sure how to get the last version of the english lang files. If i follow the given link and click « downloads », i get a list of 3 files, the first one is the one i have on my desktop, the Wings version currently installed on my computer.

If this is the version on wich my translations need to be based of, then all that is left for me to do is a search in the installation folder for lang files.

But, currently, i need to go. See ya.

RE: Translations - tkbd - 11-23-2012

TulipVorlax wrote:
Quote:I really dont like when untranslated strings get added at the end of the french file...

I agree. When I creating the JSON data for each language files (at help dictionary),
it was hard work to move the item to the place they should be.
I am moved by copying and pasting the text data after all.

english langfile
There is method that write a script that detects the text_macro "?__(string)" and the functions name in source code..
but this method can only be used if the macro has been added.

RE: Translations - TulipVorlax - 11-23-2012

Some month (years?) ago, i've bein doing a small VB.Net app that could read a lang file and display all string in a tree like structure (tree view?) with the english/original string on one side, but i failed. I'm not good at writing a parser like app.
Writing a file, i wouldn't have as much problem, it's easier.

If i were able to make that little app, translating would become so much easier. The app would be able to detect missing translations (missing strings) showing them a different color in the tree. I also wanted it to be able to read untranslated strings that were added at the en and add it to the tree at the node they belong so that when saving the file all string be in the proper order.

But like i said, i failed at doing a parser.

EDIT : I've taken a first step just now. I've compared the search for *en.lang to what i had in my translation folder. There is 59 english lang files, there was 46 files in my translation. I've copied the english ones over and changed their name to *fr.lang. Later i will open them one by one and slowly translate and test them. After that, i'll try to submit them on GitHub.

But my translations are always "late" because i can't know what will change in the english files for the next version.

RE: Translations - optigon - 11-23-2012

Maybe the code should be updated.

I can look and see if the strings can be reinserted into their proper place when running <make lang> again. Save time doing the copy and paste.