Wings 3D Development Forum
Translations - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Translations (/showthread.php?tid=34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Translations - TulipVorlax - 12-07-2021

Hi,

You may remember me... I was the main french translator something like ten years or more ago. I'm still alive as you can see. But starting with 2015 there was some changes in my life and I wasn't able to do things on computer much. Then there was COVID. The need to stay home could have given me more time to do computer things, but it wasn't.

After this last summer, I started my computer and after a few minutes it was shutting down and restarting, again and again. Overheating problems maybe. I could have disassembled every parts to clean them, change thermal paste and put everything back in, but there was no garantee that after all this work it would function properly. So after thinking about it, I decided to order new part and assemble a new computer. (Specs over there : https://synaptique.ca/ordi.htm)

I lost a few things in the process. Some software that i could not deactivate the licence on the old computer. But bein pretty tech savy, I havent lost a single documents. I began using new tools like Brackets to edit my websites. Having built that new computer was a great motivation to get back on my old hobbies.

Anyways, I just installed Wings 2.2.7 x64 under Windows 10 Pro 64. And at the first run, after the splash screen, it crashed. LOL. Sample of crash dump :
Code:
Reason: {error,{badmatch,{error,out_of_resources}

I've looked through the UI and it feel cool to see that most of my translation is still there. It seems to be in need of a few updates though.

In the past, someone talked about making a new piece of software to facilitate the work of translators. Is this still planned ? Or do we still need to edit the files directly ?

Thanks.

RE: Translations - micheus - 12-07-2021

Sorry to hear about these issues, but it's nice to see you back around here.

Quote:In the past, someone talked about making a new piece of software to facilitate the work of translators. Is this still planned ? Or do we still need to edit the files directly ?
I think that maybe I had commented something about to consider this subject. But, it has been so quiet here for the past years that I left that idea aside.
It's hard to spend my sparse time to something that may not be used. But, I can consider that again. Smile

Quote:So after thinking about it, I decided to order new part and assemble a new computer. (Specs over there : https://synaptique.ca/ordi.htm)
Nice setup.
Did you ever considered to use the onboard GPU instead of your "old" one? I read that it can has a bottleneck in this combination. (ref.)

RE: Translations - TulipVorlax - 12-14-2021

So... I've just read the forum has problems with notifications... I was unsure that it wasn't my fault. I think some years ago I had decided to deactivations them on almost every site i'm registered to, except the most important ones.

So, you noticed that the graphic was from my old set up ? I wanted a new one but all I could find were too overpriced for me and my needs at the moment. That's because I'm not into computer gaming anymore. So the GPU is mainly use to run BOINC projets, and it can rise the temp im my room to 23°C with the door not even completly shut.

BOINC is set to stop using the GPU when i'm using the computer. What I was hoping to be able to do one day was to add a new card and have two of them. Oh, and I forgot to mention that in reality, I dont have an onboard GPU. Different models of board or CPU have them, but there was an awaillabilty and price problem. It was apparently a very bad time to build a new computer.

But every time i'm looking at the box, I'm both very happy and proud of it. My previous case was so big... The new one seems so small... And it's way more silent. When no software is running, I barely hear it.

But enough of that. You know what ? All theses years... I wished I could find a way to parse the tuple lang files into a piece of software I would have made using VB.Net. Between 2005 and 2015, I used SharpDevelop to produce some tools I needed. And when my new computer was up and running ealy November, I slowly installed every software I could need to do what I do on computer (won't get into details). And I was sad to discover that development was pretty much halted on ShardDevelop.

So i'm now using Visual Studio 2022 to try and produce a totally new version of my main tool. This time around I decided to do everything in english and translated the app later when it will be done. I may also publish the code to git hub under GPL or something. But one thing that doesn't encourage me much is that it seems I'm the only one needing that piece of software. It's an app in wich the user select a folder where there's a local copy of a website made out of normal HTML files and the app find the files, look up last edit date, and when ready it write an XML file in the root local folder following the sitemap protocol. Others softwares are doing the same, but they use a crawler and must run on a server, and I didn't like that. That's why I'm making my own tool.

The first version of it that I made between 2008 and 2012 is still working almost flawlessly (I just discovered the pattern to get HTML file wasn't getting them all. For a long time I was mainly using the shorter .HTM, I fixed that in the new app.) But in reality i'm not a very good dev. While working on the new app to wich I wanted to add saving and loading of xml serialized parameters files, among a few new things. I very frequently had to Google bits of code and errors I was getting. But now, most functions are working. It still doesn't do it's main one though. I'm progressing more slowly now because someone asked my to get back on knitting for a little while.

I'm telling all of this so readers can tell that if I wanted to and with a bit of help, I could be able to develop a tool to help with the translating. How I see it, the main window would show two panes. Left one would be a tree of the tuple in the lang file. It would load the english file as read only. Then there would be a selection box of sort at the top right to choose a language. The right pane would show two text boxes. One would contain the untranslated string and the other box would be for the translated string. That one would be empty of the string is not translated yet.

But all of this is only a dream if I can't find an easy way to parse the tuple in the lang files. Oh, and the app would also need to be able to write them back without error.

And one last thing. Like i've said in a previous post, I've installed lasted Wing version on my new comp, and I'm a bit surprised that all the files in it's installation folder are read only. Is it Windows 10 protecting them ? That could be a problem for the translating app...