Wings 3D Development Forum
Looking for Fibonacci curve - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Looking for Fibonacci curve (/showthread.php?tid=341)

Pages: 1 2 3

Looking for Fibonacci curve - micheus - 06-09-2013

Is there some way to get such effect?

Scale: I would like to scale vertices from the centre to some radial limit with a gradual effect (strong close the centre and soft in the bondaries).

Rotate: I would like to rotate vertices around a vertice (the centre) to its boundaries, also with a gradual effect. Twist or Tork didn't work for that.

I want to apply these "operations" to this object:
[Image: image.png]

[edit]I change the subject in order to express what I'm looking for.

RE: Scale and Rotate with magnet? - Fonte Boa - 06-09-2013

Unfortunatelly each element Local coordinates wont be respected
during Magnet operations: the conjunct will be the only entity in scene.

a. selec all element and call Body | Combine
b. select any face/edge/vert what you want, expand selection (using "+" key) until all that element faces/edges/verts are selected.
c. keep [Alt] key hold and Right click on any wanted Face/Edge/Vert command (in your example, Scale Uniform, Scale Radial, Rotate etc)

c.1 pick the axis for the operation (right click to continue)
c.2 pick the outer boundary to be affected by operation (right click to execute)

d. Use +/- Keys do adjust the operation Radius
e. Use 1/2/3/4 Keys to switch between Bell/Dome/Straight/Spike profiles

RE: Scale and Rotate with magnet? - micheus - 06-09-2013

(06-09-2013, 07:21 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: a. selec all element and call Body | Combine
It is already a unique element - I weld all them.

I will test your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks.

RE: Scale and Rotate with magnet? - hershel - 06-10-2013

(06-09-2013, 05:48 PM)micheus Wrote: with a gradual effect (strong close the centre and soft in the boundaries).
In the magnet options, just the select the "shortest" distance radio button.

Still, one problem that you might encounter though, is that the bottom hexagonal faces might be slightly unaligned vertically, from their top counterparts. If that happens, or is too noticeable for your tastes, I'd suggest doing the magnet operation then selecting the top faces only and doing a clean Y axis shell extrude; this new object will have perfectly aligned top/bottom hexs.

RE: Scale and Rotate with magnet? - micheus - 06-11-2013

(06-10-2013, 08:46 AM)hershel Wrote: In the magnet options, just the select the "shortest" distance radio button.
hershel, I didn't find this distance radio button. Blush

Fonte, I was not able to get the result I was expecting for. May it isn't possible with that steps or I did something wrong. Undecided
As it's very laborious to prepare this object I attached the file, so you can check it correctly.

Anyway, you drove me to reach it by using Tweak/Magnet:
- Tweak mode: Scale;
- Magnet style: Dome;
- Axis Constraints: Radial (only).
then I put the mouse over the centre face (no selection) and dragged the mouse up. The unexpected thing (but, wanted) was the fact of the action be applied on both sides.
[Image: image1.png]
The twisted effect was not so difficult to produce by using rotate + [ctrl+d], but I didn't get the result I was expecting for:
[Image: image2.png]

Just in case, I'm looking for something like this.
I'm trying other approach and share it soon.

RE: Scale and Rotate with magnet? - Fonte Boa - 06-11-2013

Micheus,

about the problem of how to affect "both sides", i think the best way to solve this is to select the two appropriate faces (or both set of edges or verts).

about the "shortest" distance radio button, you can access it just before execute any Magnet operation (standard magnet, not tweak) by clicking Alt + Right mouse button (check Info Line). I show this at the end of the following video.

About the experiment, i think it is not possible either with an array of elements, either with a single object enterely welded, because Wings just consider a single entity in scene and a general and uniqued Axis coordinate: it cant see the individual elements Local coordinates.

Anyway the video shows those steps to rotate and scale around an axis using Magnet to soft that effect along the mesh.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/kkTWG_I0t7g [/video]

In the video i used Scale | Uniform: sorry. To your purposes, you have to use Scale | Radial. Smile

RE: Scale and Rotate with magnet? - micheus - 06-11-2013

(06-11-2013, 05:47 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: Anyway the video shows those steps to rotate and scale around an axis using Magnet to soft that effect along the mesh.
Thanks a lot Fonte.
It's good to know that is possible to product this king of twist using Magnet.
I've failed because I set the wrong element for the boundaries. Now I saw that you use it perpendicular to the main axis.

RE: Scale and Rotate with magnet? - Fonte Boa - 06-11-2013

<< Now I saw that you use it perpendicular to the main axis >>

No, Micheus: i've just pick an extremity element to indicate the affected area. Magnet askes first for the Axis and then for a Point. When we define that área limits, you are just picking a Point.
"An outer boundary point for magnet influence"

RE: Scale and Rotate with magnet? - micheus - 06-12-2013

Ok, Fonte. I'll check this soon.

I recall about something I read in the past and I did a search. Here is: Nature, The Golden Ratio, and Fibonacci too ...
Nature is pure math. Smile

Hard work indeed...
[Image: fibonacci.gif]

RE: Scale and Rotate with magnet? - micheus - 06-13-2013

Making it simple:
deleting a pair of vertices:
cutting the new edges - starting from 2 and adding one for each new cut: 2,3,4,5,...
Now, applying Circularise [RMB] for each group of edges cut:
Something "magic" happened here... The value I used for circularise in order to get the edges laying over the curve is a Fibonacci number too: 89°! Smile