Wings 3D Development Forum
Scene Info: Area & Volume -- Size Overrun - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Scene Info: Area & Volume -- Size Overrun (/showthread.php?tid=375)

Pages: 1 2

Scene Info: Area & Volume -- Size Overrun - zDarby - 07-11-2013

[Tools -> Scene Info: Area & Volume] only works for items smaller than a certain size.

1) Put down a cube.
2) Scale uniform 1100%.
3) Scene Info: Area & Volume:
Area: 2904.000000
Volume: 49854525646484848484848

4) Undo Scale.

5) Scale Uniform 5000%
6) Scene Info: Area & Volume:
Area: 544848484846484848484848
Volume: *********424242

It doesn't matter what the shape of the object is, if it's over a certain volume, there's an overrun in the volume column; over a certain larea, the area column overruns.

I am using Wings3D 1.4.1 on Linux. I downloaded Wings from sourcefoge as a run.gz on 7/7/2013 and installed it. (The wings 1.4.1 that is in the Ubuntu repository does not have a working Scene Info command, no matter the size.)

I'm sorry if this is a repeat post of a known bug. I did look for it and I found the previous bug report on the last page of this forum. But it didn't seem to deal with the overrun but another malfunction.

~zDarby

RE: Scene Info: Area & Volume -- Size Overrun - micheus - 07-13-2013

(07-11-2013, 11:25 PM)zDarby Wrote: [Tools -> I'm sorry if this is a repeat post of a known bug. I did look for it and I found the previous bug report on the last page of this forum.
zDarby, thanks for report.
Yes that is a known bug (ref. post). Smile

The sourgeforge file is from 2011-02-05. There were some bug fixes after that.

I would suggest you to download the latest snapshot. Please check them here.
_________
p.s. I build the linux version under a virtual machine (VirtualBox) where it is working fine.

RE: Scene Info: Area & Volume -- Size Overrun - zDarby - 07-13-2013

OH, THANK YOU!!

I've used all sorts of methods to get around this bug! Incuding exporting as .ndo so as to use earlier versions.

Been using wings since 0.8. Maybe before... I don't remember. Needless to say I use it often.

But I don't often come to the forums. When I go online I always find myself somewhere else. So I didn't know where to get the newest version; or, indeed, that there was another version beyond 1.4.1.

Thank you. Thank you. And thank you again!

zDarby, please let me know it the build works in a real Linux install - it should. Smile
Otherwise, I will need to make a real install of it on my machine.

It doesn't. Cry
I get this error when I try to run it.

wings-1.5.pre1.77.gd743/bin/erlexec: error while loading shared libraries: libvga.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Looking around, it's about 64 bit vs 32 bit problem: wings is 32 and libvga is only 64 on my machine. I've gone searching and so far come up with no workaround: no libvga within 12.04LTS Ubuntu packages and it's probably a bad idea to use the Debian Wheezy version.

I'm still looking for solutions but there is no certainty of success.

Well, I'm not sure it should be the usual behavior as I'm not a Linux user. Anyway I fixed that on my Ubuntu by using this command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libsvga1 libsvga1-dev

I have two Linux VM: Linux Mint for deve. And Ubuntu for test the instala. Maybe that is a bad choice?!

Nope. Tried it but it didn't work.

Note that the error said "libvga" and that's "libsvga". Worth a try none the less.

Still, I wonder if I need to put on a more stock edition of Ubuntu. I went for Ultimate Edition and I have been meaning to reinstall.

Ubuntu and Mint are top ranked in popularity. I think you picked your VMs well

RE: Scene Info: Area & Volume -- Size Overrun - micheus - 07-15-2013

I will try to prepare one VM with the LTS version of Ubuntu. My one was 12.10 upgraded to 13.?? last week.
Thank you for the feedback.

RE: Scene Info: Area & Volume -- Size Overrun - zDarby - 08-25-2013

OK... tested it out on a newer os. No joy. Is it a 32 bit app that needs a 32 bit linux?

I just realized all that all the distros I've tried it on are 64bit.

Gonna keep trying, though. The distro that runs the newest wings is the one I install. Smile

RE: Scene Info: Area & Volume -- Size Overrun - zDarby - 09-01-2013

Yes. So far, every OS I've tried it in must be 32 bit for it to run. (That would be either x86 or i686.) Otherwise, it ain't gonna work.

That said, ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu and ununtu gnome all work once you install libsvga, which you can download via debian repositories. Ultimate Edition 1.4.1 lite, 1.4.1 & 1.5.1 all run wings 1.5.pre without preamble. I have not gotten Mint to work and I've not tried Puppy Precise yet.

There are, of course, oodles of other Linux types out there that are not based on Ubuntu. However, this is the path that I have chosen for myself.