Wings 3D Development Forum
Crash dump when trying to rotate object - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Crash dump when trying to rotate object (/showthread.php?tid=405)

Crash dump when trying to rotate object - w3dut - 09-11-2013

I have an object that I'm trying to rotate in "X" 90 degrees. I've done this thousands of times but this particular object will not allow me to rotate it. I can select the object faces, then select .Rotate, then select "X". Then when I press the TAB key, Wings3d generates the crash dump and when it returns from that, the mouse cursor is INVISIBLE.

BTW, I've attached the crash dump but the file that caused it is 406kb zipped and I can't attach it (is there another way to upload the file if needed?)

Any ideas, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Jeff

RE: Crash dump when trying to rotate object - micheus - 09-11-2013

w3dut, the dump is not clear about what happens.
You can try to select the whole object and apply Cleanup command (in Body mode) before execute the command - maybe it could be caused for some bad geometry, since the process is pointing the reason as a badarg...

I noticed that you are using the 1.4.1 version and I would suggest you to try wings-1.4.1.137.g5ee2.exe that have lot of bug fixes (even, this problem seems to not be related to any of them).

RE: Crash dump when trying to rotate object - w3dut - 09-12-2013

Thanks for the reply. I'll try what you recommend. However, this link is not working for me. That download page doesn't seem to exist.

thx.

RE: Crash dump when trying to rotate object - micheus - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 01:46 AM)w3dut Wrote: However, this link is not working for me. That download page doesn't seem to exist.
Sorry about that. The first "h" from http was cut. It's fixed now.

RE: Crash dump when trying to rotate object - w3dut - 09-15-2013

I installed the newer version and ran the cleanup command. That stopped the crash, however the model was flawed. It has 'holes' or 'see through' areas that I couldn't seem to figure out how to fill and some 'artifacts' that are way off the surface of the model that I can't seem to move or delete. So, I started over with a different model.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Jeff

RE: Crash dump when trying to rotate object - micheus - 09-15-2013

(09-15-2013, 03:28 AM)w3dut Wrote: It has 'holes' or 'see through' areas that I couldn't seem to figure out how to fill and some 'artifacts' that are way off the surface of the model that I can't seem to move or delete.
So, something can really not be good with the geometry - Wings3d "doesn't like that".
Did you imported it from other application?
To try avoid it break you can try use Clenaup with RMB, when you can set the minor distance between vertices to be cleaned.

Quote:So, I started over with a different model.
Sorry about that.
Some problems are complicated to try suggest fix without have it on our hands (or seeing it). Sad

RE: Crash dump when trying to rotate object - w3dut - 09-15-2013

Quote:So, something can really not be good with the geometry - Wings3d "doesn't like that".
Did you imported it from other application?

Yes, it was converted from a STEP file (have done hundreds without an issue until this one.. something wrong with it obviously)

Quote:To try avoid it break you can try use Clenaup with RMB, when you can set the minor distance between vertices to be cleaned.

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that and to tell you the truth, I really don't know what you mean... I'm not familiar with those options.

Quote:Some problems are complicated to try suggest fix without have it on our hands (or seeing it). Sad

Yeah... but sorry, I couldn't upload the model (100K over the upload limit). It's nothing special but it did have a lot of verticies.

But thanks for trying and for your advice.

Jeff