Wings 3D Development Forum
A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gallery (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling (/showthread.php?tid=411)

Pages: 1 2 3

A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - Shroomworks - 09-14-2013

Hey everyone!
I'm still quite new to the whole 3d modeling thing and i was searching for a neat program that does not overwhelm me with it's contend when i start using it. Started to learn Blender a while back with my older brother as my teacher and we got some things done,but the fact was,Blender completely overwhelmed me.

So,after a while i started thinking if there are other 3d modeling programs out there that are free and easier to use for beginners and i discovered google Sketchup (wich i removed again because i can't ork when i get error messages with every step i make) and my older brother told me about Wings3d. Looked at it,downloaded it and started learning. Since then 2 days have passed and i'm totally satisfied with Wings3D and even began to make my very own model. It was a lot of learning by doing,trial and error and even though my first model is not all that great and contains lots of mistakes,i do think it did turn out rather well.

I don't know how to post images in this forum yet,but until i learned that too,i'll give you a link to my imgur ablum dedicated to my work with Wings3D.

I'll be looking forward to some feedback and advice,tips and ideas on how to make things better looking and more detailed Smile

And as promised,the link to the album: http://imgur.com/a/QLGiV

Thank you for reading my wall of text Smile

Battleship Concept (View in 3D)
[Image: VnJE1]

RE: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - micheus - 09-14-2013

(09-14-2013, 07:56 AM)Shroomworks Wrote: I don't know how to post images in this forum yet
As in any other forum you can link images that you have upload to any image hoster (as ImageShack, PutImage, PixelCast, ...), but here you have the easy way to use the Photobuck (check this thread).

You can still use the album link for show some screenshots (as you did) and also is possible you get one of that image link address and put it here using the the button Insert Image (in the editor bar):
[Image: 0nyOd3Mh.jpg]Just avoid to link heavy images Wink

Other cool way to show your models is using P3D (check this thread)

As you are new to Wings3D, maybe is a good idea you take a look at the thread Wings3d Channel Tutorials and at the Documentation project (take a look at the theread "Dictionary of the Wings3D help")

Well come!! Smile

RE: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - Shroomworks - 09-14-2013

Hi and thank you for your suggestions regarding the sharing of images and even 3d views. I've settled for p3d,even though it seems my graphics card does not allow me to show models directly,as i do not see the green p button in the editor bar. I can link to it though and i guess that works too Tongue

I'll take a look at the 2 thread links that you posted and hopefully it will help me to understand the program a bit better and enables me to do more and better things.

Thank you again for your great help Smile

RE: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - Shroomworks - 09-15-2013

Alright,after watching several more tons of tutorials (both video and from other forums) i decided to wrap up the battleship for now and start a new model in wich i try to incorporate what i learned and so far i'm rather satisfied with the results. It's still in its early stages though,so there will be quite a lot of changes.

I've smoothened the battleship 2 times and now it looks rather fancy Smile
Battleship Concept Smooth (View in 3D)
[Image: Pv1oR]

And a 2-times smoothened up version of the new model i started yesterday. It's a destroyer (or at least that's what its supposed to be Tongue) and as mentioned above,in its early stages but i must say i already like how it looks Smile
Destroyer Concept (View in 3D)
[Image: KP25T]

Wings3D is a lot of fun and a great way to use your creativity. So devs,thanks a lot for making my life a little happier Wink

RE: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - micheus - 09-15-2013

They looks good. I would like to see them textured. Smile

I just think that there is something not right about the object loaded to p3d.in because it starts with a black model - without shader. I need to change to x-ray or wires to see them.
... or maybe is it my browser?! Undecided

RE: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - Shroomworks - 09-15-2013

Thanks,glad you like it Smile
I might be because of your browser,because for me (i'm using google chrome) the model flashes like crazy and i have to reaload one or two times until it works.

As for texturing, 'ill try to get it done sometime in the future when i think i'm good enough to move on to the next step. I'm currently speaking with my brother on the phone and he's offering me to render the battleship via blender. so i think i have something to show later on Smile

EDIT: As mentioned before,my brother rendered the battleship in blender and added a nice backround and some metal material to it Smile

http://abload.de/img/shipzusht.png

RE: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - micheus - 09-16-2013

Don't you think there is something strange with the ship "nose"?

RE: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - Shroomworks - 09-16-2013

Yes indeed there is,however it's not easy to fix. Both me and my brother have had some trouble to at least partially fix it,but i have a problem with a vertice that i cant connet to anything and if i delete it,the whole model disappears :/

Not sure what to do about it exept to try and remodel the whole nose.

RE: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - Shroomworks - 09-16-2013

Well,nothing i tried helped,so i decided to delete the nose completely and remodel it.
Looks mostly like the old nose,but more clean and without any uneeded vertices. I still have to redo the barrels for the cannons,but that will have to wait till tomorrow.
Screenshot of the new and improved nose: http://i.imgur.com/XSFJ7II.jpg

P.S.: Does this count as cosmetic surgery? ;P

RE: A newbie's first steps in 3d modeling - micheus - 09-16-2013

Try to model preserving quads face - Wings3d works better with them.
In some cases you have the option to create separated object and conbine with the main one.