Wings 3D Development Forum
Website viewed in IE9 [SOLVED] - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Website viewed in IE9 [SOLVED] (/showthread.php?tid=46)

Pages: 1 2

Website viewed in IE9 [SOLVED] - greytery - 11-21-2012

Web pages not displaying properly in !E9.
Are they supposed to?
What browser compatibility testing is done?

I normally run as Win7/IE9 mostly as a normal web user, moderate searching controls, Norton bunker mode.... IE9 Internet options set at default levels of security, protection, etc, - so active stuff is mostly blocked. Yer average(?) PC user settings. i.e. (if you'll excuse the pun) not a Linux/developer.

When viewing the website in IE9, the layout is inconsistent, some of the graphics only partly display, etc. The page header links display as a list rather than a row across the top as expected.
I thought it was the use of Wordpress for a long while, but clearly almost everybody else** loves the layout and pages.
** me too, now that I can see it in Chrome and Firefox. Smile

So I loaded Chrome and Firefox and viewed the website in parallel with IE; both Ch and Ff display the webpages perfectly, as presumably intended. IE9 is seemingly set to Dog's Breakfast mode.

I edited the page source to remove the commented out section:
<!--[if lt IE 9]>
<script src="http://www.wings3d.com/wp-content/themes/twentyeleven/js/html5.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<![endif]-->

Save locally/Load that text and allow Active Content and the layout improves.

Depends what is intended here. Perhaps a message on the home page to say best viewed in Firefox.
But it's not really fair to say : Just use Ff (or Ch). (I probably will from now on). IE is still out there, although there's some very interesting stats at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers !!!

(ALSO: Just noticed, I'm inputting this Forum message via Ff. When in IE9 the message edit box is too big and overwrites the 'Post Options' block below it. ALSO!!: just checked and that's the same in Chrome too Sad )

RE: Website viewed in IE9 - Fonte Boa - 11-21-2012

My problem with ie9 here is that i always have to refresh the browser to actualize the content, as i've already reported in another thread. Therefore, no problems with visualization as greytery mentioned.

RE: Website viewed in IE9 - optigon - 11-21-2012

My hope was that by using wordpress, all these compatibility problems would be solved by their software. Apparently not.

I don't want to put up a message asking visitors to use another browser, so I will look at trying to solve these issues. Hopefully most of the display issues are solvable in css.

I love that all these companies think standards are subject to interpretation.

RE: Website viewed in IE9 - greytery - 11-21-2012

I think you mean " ..standards are subject to implementation."

This cannot be a new problem, given the extent that Wordpress is used in the world wide blogosphere. And by lesser mortals than yourself, sir. If you want some extra help digging/testing - mail me.

Then you can get back to your day job: fixing real bugs !

RE: Website viewed in IE9 - micheus - 11-21-2012

I'm on Win7 64bits, screen res 1920x1080, FF 17 and IE9 (everything updated) and I'm not experimenting all these things.

About IE, I can point two things you can see in the video at 0:27 (+ and - icon - unchanging) and at 0:40 (the replay box and user's web button):
[Image: 373511208_100.jpg]
anyway, I'm a FF user. That don't bother me. Wink

RE: Website viewed in IE9 - optigon - 11-21-2012

Okay, so the Reply text window can be resized, didn't know that Smile
Maybe that 's the problem as far as the Forum goes.

Micheus, what does the website look like in ie?

I've searched for wordpress + ie 9 problems and there are plenty of reports inlcuding some solutions. When I get a chance I'll try and fix the styling.

" ..standards are subject to implementation."
...which requires interpretation Smile
In my experience, it seems like most of the big name browsers look the same expect ie. MS does its own thing.

RE: Website viewed in IE9 - micheus - 11-22-2012

(11-21-2012, 10:57 PM)optigon Wrote: Micheus, what does the website look like in ie?
Inspet of what I had pointed above, it looks good and working fine - as I tried to show in the video.
Even the MS doesn´t following the standards the pages are shown on IE9 as I see on FF (98%).

RE: Website viewed in IE9 - optigon - 11-22-2012

(11-22-2012, 12:30 AM)micheus Wrote:
(11-21-2012, 10:57 PM)optigon Wrote: Micheus, what does the website look like in ie?
Inspet of what I had pointed above, it looks good and working fine - as I tried to show in the video.
Even the MS doesn´t following the standards the pages are shown on IE9 as I see on FF (98%).

Yes the Fourm looks the same however the bug report is more about the Home Page of the website wings3d.com, at least I thought is was Smile

Sorry, but I am on Linux. I use websites like browsershots and netrender to see the page in ie, and they don't always show me what I need to see.

Of course to really debug the website, I'll need access to a Windows computer for an afternoon, but usually I can debug from Linux Smile

RE: Website viewed in IE9 - greytery - 11-22-2012

Optigon - Have mailed some screen shots showing IE views. (I assume you already know how it's supposed to display).
Also, an example of caching(?) problem as per Fonte Boa.
Also examples of the effects of Zoom. ... you'll note that the embedded images are only partially displayed on Community page. it gets worse Sad

Replying using FF.
Good Grief! This reply box resizing trick is great. It means I could just keep on rabbiting and rabbiting without constraint. Wonder how much text this message box can take.... in the interests of testing, you understand.Wink

RE: Website viewed in IE9 - Fonte Boa - 11-22-2012

I've installed FF yesterday at home and all seems ok visualizating and automatic refreshing the forum. Smile
Now at work, using FF, i clicked on greytery attached file thumbnail, forum asked me to login, but after type name/password i was redirected to the same login page, as if i wasnt logged... Returning to forum main page, i was logged, but after click the attached thumbnail the same occurred again: i just could see the attached file using Explorer...