Wings 3D Development Forum
Face Select Problem - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Face Select Problem (/showthread.php?tid=463)

Pages: 1 2

Face Select Problem - JonnyMac - 11-12-2013

I've tried the stable and development versions with the same issue -- so maybe it's me. When in face select mode, no matter what face I hover over, the topmost face (of a standard cube) is highlighted. I am not able to select any other face.

RE: Face Select Problem - JonnyMac - 11-12-2013

Did a bit of hunting -- seems to be a change in the way graphics is handled in the program. Version 1.0 works fine. I may be able to stick with that as I'm only building very small models for a PCB layout package.

RE: Face Select Problem - oort - 11-12-2013

JonnyMac,

Welcome to the forum. You could try updating your video card drivers but I think some have had issues after updating their video card drivers. You could try reducing or disabling hardware acceleration on your video card. I have not experienced this so I do not know enough about this to be much help. I know others have had this issue in the past. You may want to tell what your OS and video card is.

oort

RE: Face Select Problem - JonnyMac - 11-12-2013

I'm running WinXP Pro SP3. Lenova laptop with Intel mobile chip set. Updated all drivers.

I think it's important to note that when I install Wings3D 1.0 the face select function works perfectly. This suggests to me that something in the code changed to create this [broken] behavior. Again, my modeling needs are very simple so, I might just live with version 1.0. As a programmer (embedded devices), I think it's a shame that this happened and, apparently, affected a lot of people.

BTW... I installed Wings3D on my "tech" machine that I use for drawing schematics, creating pcbs, etc. I also put it on my newer Dell XPS (64-bit Win7) and the latest version works on that.

RE: Face Select Problem - micheus - 11-12-2013

(11-12-2013, 06:33 PM)JonnyMac Wrote: As a programmer (embedded devices), I think it's a shame that this happened and, apparently, affected a lot of people
Intel doesn't seem to take care about their OpenGL driver. What can we do?!

RE: Face Select Problem - JonnyMac - 11-14-2013

Let me try this again: Wings3D Version 1.0 works as expected on my XP machine with an Intel graphics card; after that, face selection is broken and, apparently, I'm not alone. I don't see this as Intel's fault. And, honestly, I'm not interested in debating you on this point. It would be nice if I could use 1.5; for the moment, 1.0 will suffice for my simple needs.

RE: Face Select Problem - micheus - 11-14-2013

Lets say that historically this kind of random (per user) behaviour (errors?!) just happen with those that are using Intel video card. Just check the old forum and you will verify this.

I can use the latest version without this problem in a PC with the recent Intel HD onboard "video cards". But, I have other - some times some edges disappear. (did you have experienced this one?)
But, I don't have any problem when using in a machine with AMD Radeon or NVidia.

(11-14-2013, 05:19 AM)JonnyMac Wrote: I'm not interested in debating you on this point
But, after you said "I think it's a shame that this happened" you should. Wink

I use to verify all errors reported in order to not charge the Wings3D' main devs with minor things. If I can't reproduce it using the same brand that's a problem - there is no way to investigate.
Try to record the steps sequence and maybe - following the exact same steps - we can try to reproduce it.

As a programmer, you know that we can just try to fix something only if we are able to reproduce the error. And, if the problem is driver/hardware related, we will be able to verify the issue only using the same configuration.

So, I don't think this is a shame - I can't have so many hardware, OS or anything else we can find all around the word - I have limitations.

[edit]
maybe we can compare the gpu extensions caps and try to find something to verify. I attached my infos.
It would be good if you could use GPU Caps Viewer 1.19.0 to extract your information (in the Tool tab you will find the export option) - look for the download button (down on the page).

RE: Face Select Problem - JonnyMac - 11-15-2013

I've attached screen caps from both versions so you can see what I'm seeing.

The seems to be a different if face numbering. In both examples I started with a blank project and added a cube. In the v100 images you can see that I'm able to hover over and select one of the side faces; in v100 that face is #1.

In v151 that same face is #4. You can see from the two v151 images that the topmost face can be correctly identified and selected. Hovering over other faces seems to identify them correctly, but clicking on any face selects face #0 (topmost).

Edit: the attachment quota allows me only one file -- so I'm attaching the v151 that shows the mouse hovering over face #4 (side, viewer right) but with face #0 highlighted.

RE: Face Select Problem - micheus - 11-16-2013

(11-15-2013, 08:20 PM)JonnyMac Wrote: Edit: the attachment quota allows me only one file
I think the attachment here is intended to share the .dump files (preferentially zipped). For pictures you can use Photobucket and for any other kind of file you can use any virtual disk on the cloud (MS Skydrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, ...) Wink

So, about the image ...
... as I told before it's ok for me here (i5/Intel GMA HD):
[Image: th_faces_sel_2_zpsff351f31.jpg]
[Image: th_faces_sel_3_zps52c95799.jpg]
[Image: th_faces_sel_1_zps02c6e0d8.jpg]

You didn't tell us what exactly is your video card, but considering this:
(11-12-2013, 06:33 PM)JonnyMac Wrote: I'm running WinXP Pro SP3. Lenova laptop with Intel mobile chip set. Updated all drivers.
it seems to be not new. But, you also have verified that Wings3d works fine in the new ones:
(11-12-2013, 06:33 PM)JonnyMac Wrote: BTW... I installed Wings3D on my "tech" machine that I use for drawing schematics, creating pcbs, etc. I also put it on my newer Dell XPS (64-bit Win7) and the latest version works on that.

I got these links from the old forum. You can find some informations/options to try that I think we don't need to start talking about again - please take a look on them: for the last one, the driver suggested for update fixed the problem.

** You have two way to check the drivers on Intel: Download Center or IntelĀ® Driver Update Utility.

Just to show that the devs try to take care about the compatibility:
dgud Wrote:We don't use VBO's we use vertex arrays in wings which is standard in opengl 1.1 and works in standard windows software mode.
I.e. should work fine with intel drivers.
(post in the old forum)

RE: Face Select Problem - JonnyMac - 11-18-2013

Thanks for the assist, but I've decided to move on. For other reasons, I've been wanting to properly learn Blender (which works fine on this machine), anyway; this event gives me the nudge to do that as I can use it for my technical (PCB components) and artistic (filmmaking) projects.