Wings 3D Development Forum
Need help getting started. Error with "rr(wings)." - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Need help getting started. Error with "rr(wings)." (/showthread.php?tid=481)

Need help getting started. Error with "rr(wings)." - eugene - 11-26-2013

Hello.

I am trying to get started with programming for Wings 3D.

Unfortunately, when I enter the command “rr(wings)."

I get the following

{error,beam_lib,
{missing_chunk,'c:/PROGRA~2/WINGS3~1.1/lib/wings-1.4.1/ebin/wings.beam',
"Abst"}}

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks.

RE: Need help getting started. Error with "rr(wings)." - ggaliens - 11-26-2013

Eugene ... when I started ... the very first thing I wanted to do is to run commands that would tell me something about the scene. You can READ a lot of properties of the scene by issuing commands into the console window.

When I started ... I was very very content to just insert a single new command into a Menu and have it run a report on Wings3D object.

I tried very hard to avoid learning about the entire BUILD process ... because it seems more in flux at the time. Not it is settled down a bunch ... so you might go whole hog and learn all the build steps.

But ... you can do some baby steps. That's all I'm saying. To me ... it always seemed more SANE to build on a flavor of Linux.

RE: Need help getting started. Error with "rr(wings)." - ggaliens - 11-26-2013

One thing I did when starting was to get ERLANG ... compile NEW beam files with it. and then
merge this into a Stable dev version of wings that was pre-installed. This is how I "stepped" into the overall dev process. All I really needed was a MAKE environment and an editor.

Do you do the GITHUB experience yet Eugene ?

RE: Need help getting started. Error with "rr(wings)." - micheus - 11-26-2013

eugene, it seems someone had the same problem and asked at stackoverflow: post - maybe it can help in some way.

anyway, from the beam_lib module help:
Quote:Chunk data can be returned as binaries or as compound terms. Compound terms are returned when chunks are referenced by names (atoms) rather than identifiers (strings). The names recognized and the corresponding identifiers are:
  • abstract_code ("Abst")
also, from the shell module help:
Quote:rr(Module)
Reads record definitions from a module's BEAM file. If there are no record definitions in the BEAM file, the source file is located and read instead. Returns the names of the record definitions read. Module is an atom.

So, you probably need to call the rr() using the wildcard option (check the help linked) and inform the full path to the wings.beam file. Or, just get into the wings's ebin folder - where you will find it (changing the directories) and use the command as you did before.

(11-26-2013, 02:50 AM)eugene Wrote: I am trying to get started with programming for Wings 3D.
I don't think you need to learn this kind of stuff if you intend to code for wings - You don't need to know much from the shell.
It seems you want learn how to use Erlang shell commands.

Something that you can read to start coding wings:
- Exploring Wings3D through the Erlang Shell (for beginners)
- How To Write Wings3D Plugins (for beginners)
and you will need also take a look at some sources just to know what you can find there. Some ones are exporting functions that you don't need to code again.