Wings 3D Development Forum
Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera (/showthread.php?tid=487)

Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera - esuby - 11-27-2013

Hi

I have justed installed Wings 3D on a new laptop - Acer Aspire V5. The OS is Windows 8(64), and it has an Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics card (supporting OpenGL 4.0).

Wings 3D installs smoothly and works,but if I try tumbling the camera with the middle mouse button the screen freezes, the mouse cursor disappears (even when trying to hover over the taskbar at the bottom of the screen), and the task manager shows Wings using up to 75% of CPU. The only thing I can do is 'end task' via the task manager. When task manager opens I notice that the view in Wings 3D jumps around a bit.

I have tried installing various versions of Wings (1.4.1, 1.5.1, 1.5.2), but the problem occurs with them all.

Any help would be gratefully received.

RE: Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera - oort - 11-27-2013

esuby,
Since I am not running Windows 8, I cannot help. I assume you are having this issue even with a simple cube. I have the problem you describe if trying to modify a mesh with too many polys.

oort

RE: Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera - esuby - 11-28-2013

(11-27-2013, 06:11 PM)oort Wrote: esuby,
Since I am not running Windows 8, I cannot help. I assume you are having this issue even with a simple cube. I have the problem you describe if trying to modify a mesh with too many polys.

oort

Thanks oort

Yes, you are correct to assume that it happens even with a simple cube!

RE: Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera - dgud - 11-29-2013

Try the workaround Camera steals focus in Preferences/Misc with luck that fixes the issue.

RE: Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera - esuby - 11-29-2013

I had originally thought that this might be a problem with the mouse driver, but it is not: if I change the camera mode to MotionBuilder (and avoid the use of the middle mouse button) Wings still freezes on tumbling and the CPU ramps up.

RE: Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera - dgud - 11-29-2013

Have you tested what I wrote above?

RE: Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera - esuby - 11-29-2013

(11-29-2013, 11:01 AM)dgud Wrote: Try the workaround Camera steals focus in Preferences/Misc with luck that fixes the issue.
Many thanks dgud for your suggestion. The 'camera steals focus' work-around in preferences/misc does indeed stop Wings freezing! I have also set the 'camera moves and interactive commands are jumpy' work-around because the camera was jumpy. Now I can get the camera to tumble although I can't control the orientation finely - whichever way I mouse the mouse the camera cycles through a loop so that , for example, the end of the X-axis sketches out a figure-of-eight in space. This, however, should be good enough for my current purposes. Many thanks for your help!

RE: Wings 3D freezing when trying to tumble camera - maithly - 12-05-2013

I was moving using tweak and with magnet radius, having hidden some faces to not get them affected (using standard left mouse button click only version of ".hide." command) . Was working in preview subdivided mode (shift + tab) . It was exactly while dragging, if I remember well.