Wings 3D Development Forum
bug with crash, maybe hidden faces or normals - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: bug with crash, maybe hidden faces or normals (/showthread.php?tid=490)

bug with crash, maybe hidden faces or normals - Extrudeface - 11-28-2013

Hello, long time. Wink

Just had a crash (years since seeing one).

Wings 1.51 stable, Windows version.

I was moving using tweak and with magnet radius, having hidden some faces to not get them affected (using standard left mouse button click only version of ".hide." command) . Was working in preview subdivided mode (shift + tab) . It was exactly while dragging, if I remember well.

The message of you can continue working after clicking with the mouse, shows, but it wouldn't work. It enters a kind of loop, blinks like crazy. And bellow appears, in a progress blue bar, something like "..vertex normals" or "...normals" repeated all the line.

Can't kill the app with alt + f4 nor other ways. Need to alt tab, kill it with Windows task Manager or similar. (kill task erl.exe)

Sorry, cannot pass the model, all content is signed under a NDA... :/

Graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 275 . Driver ver. 331.82
CPU: core i7 860 2.8 ghz. 8gb ram.

First time to see this crash/bug.

Crash dump, I hope it might be useful somehow :

Dump written 2013-11-28_23-27
Version: 1.5.1
Window: geom
Reason: function_clause

Short stack trace:
[]

Long stack trace:
[{gl,vertex3fv,[undefined],[{file,"gen/gl.erl"},{line,3144}]},
{wings_tweak,pump_edges,4,[{file,"wings_tweak.erl"},{line,2923}]},
{wings_tweak,update_dlist,3,[{file,"wings_tweak.erl"},{line,2909}]},
{wings_draw,update_fun,3,[{file,"wings_draw.erl"},{line,307}]},
{wings_draw,update_dynamic,2,[{file,"wings_draw.erl"},{line,793}]},
{wings_dl,map_1,5,[{file,"wings_dl.erl"},{line,223}]},
{wings_tweak,enter_tweak_handler,4,[{file,"wings_tweak.erl"},{line,376}]},
{wings_wm,handle_event,3,[{file,"wings_wm.erl"},{line,824}]}]

EDIT: After more tries, I realize that it tends to destroy the mouse cursor (only over the Wings app), hide it somehow. You can still access (alt+ menu does not work) with mouse the menu, and exit correctly. Besides, the 3D model drawing mode changes, changing like to vertexes over faceted, no wires, model display. As always, it does not damage your system nor stability.

IMPORTANT NOTE : It does not crash in very similar conditions and actions, I had been long hours working with this model. It is almost completely certain is due to using the ".hide." command (the hidden faces were of an object that was separated but later bridged) and then move things near the hidden faces area, or affected (if they were seen) by the magnet radius. Just loaded the model, does not crash if you hide the faces, it crashes if you have done that previously to these tweak drags with magnet on that you do in sort of near zones.

Edit : For anyone having this issue, using TOOLS/magnet mask/lock, works great to accomplish same purpose. I'm an old timer, but been modeling less lately, was not aware of this new feature Smile

RE: bug with crash, maybe hidden faces or normals - micheus - 11-29-2013

Hi Extrudeface. Just to know, how many polys have your object? Also, did you try install the 1.5.2? It has fixed some memory issues. (Check the Downloads page and look for Development Release)

RE: bug with crash, maybe hidden faces or normals - Extrudeface - 11-29-2013

Hello, Micheus Smile

Downloading right now ..

It is not too hi poly, IMO did not seem a case of 'overload'... But who knows Smile . The model has 2681 polygons.

Thank you!

RE: bug with crash, maybe hidden faces or normals - dgud - 11-29-2013

Sounds like a bug, and it is not solved in 1.5.2 but you should that anyway.
Avoiding a severe bug in 1.5.1.

(11-29-2013, 10:47 AM)Extrudeface Wrote: It is not too hi poly, IMO did not seem a case of 'overload'... But who knows Smile . The model has 2681 polygons.
Sure. I just asked because with hi poly counts sometime we get strange behaviour. Also, because to try reproduce the situation is a good idea use similar conditions.

Anyway, today I had some time to try it and we really have a bug for this situations where we have hidden faces. I should say that it's my fault, since I added the "edge influence color" to Tweak.

As a workaround you can access Tweak Preferences dialog and disable the option Show Magnet Influence - something that was suggested by Fonte Boa (if I'm not wrong)

(11-29-2013, 04:28 PM)micheus Wrote:
(11-29-2013, 10:47 AM)Extrudeface Wrote: It is not too hi poly, IMO did not seem a case of 'overload'... But who knows Smile . The model has 2681 polygons.
Sure. I just asked because with hi poly counts sometime we get strange behaviour. Also, because to try reproduce the situation is a good idea use similar conditions.

Anyway, today I had some time to try it and we really have a bug for this situations where we have hidden faces. I should say that it's my fault, since I added the "edge influence color" to Tweak.

As a workaround you can access Tweak Preferences dialog and disable the option Show Magnet Influence - something that was suggested by Fonte Boa (if I'm not wrong)

Aha, I see now. Anyway, that is one of the many things that I like of Wings: The other day solved my issue just using magnet mask locks instead of hiding geometry Smile, very easily . Could work on an isolated part, no issue. Smile But I have just checked that setting toggle for magnet influence. IMHO, your feature is cool, as you see what is affected of the geometry while dragging, and in some cases I trigger alt key and wheel without releasing anything, if I see it is taking more verts than I wanted Smile . I will leave the feature on, as knowing when the issue can be triggered, I will just avoid that very specific situation using locks for now, or deactivating in specific moments. Smile

( I have a very handy key to access tweak prefs all the time, as the selection painting and older methods I need them as often as tweak magnet Biggrin )

Thank you very much, both of you. Smile

I just fixed it. I should be applied to the next release of Wings3D.

By now, if you want (and know hot to) update the files you can find them here
- wings_tweak.beam (C:\Program Files\wings3d_1.5.2\lib\wings-1.5.2\ebin)
- wpc_sculpt.beam (C:\Program Files\wings3d_1.5.2\lib\wings-1.5.2\plugins\commands)

Thank you very very much Smile

I will update to 1.52, and for the fix, as it was not affecting my work flow in any important way, I will update to next release, but really, thanks a lot, it is appreciated. Smile

(Oh! is just beam files... I think I can do it, thanks! )