Wings 3D Development Forum
Cant run my copy of WIngs 3D. - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Cant run my copy of WIngs 3D. (/showthread.php?tid=496)

Pages: 1 2

Cant run my copy of WIngs 3D. - Guha5277 - 12-02-2013

Im so happy when i saw a new version of Wings 3D.
But, when i download and install it i have something issue ;(
When i open Wings3D.exe(1.5.1 or 1.5.2 ver - no matter) - i see windows of cmd (less than 1 sec.) and nothing happen.

System spec.
Windows 7 max. 86x [Russian Localization].
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 build 7601

Sorry for my english Sad

RE: Cant run my copy of WIngs 3D. - mickpr - 12-07-2013

Read my post - there is a solution - I think Smile
Set language to english in older version, reinstal new one with English selected.
It works for me.

RE: Cant run my copy of WIngs 3D. - Guha5277 - 12-09-2013

(12-07-2013, 03:18 PM)mickpr Wrote: Read my post - there is a solution - I think Smile
Set language to english in older version, reinstal new one with English selected.
It works for me.

Thanks but didn't work for me Sad
Here i have only "erl.exe" in worked process.
v1.4.1 - work fine with English localization.

RE: Cant run my copy of WIngs 3D. - muddy - 06-02-2014

Hi everybody, same story.
I haven't use Wings for a long time and I was hoping it will run on Win 8.1. Fortunately even latest version (1.5.3) was working fine, until now :/
I have problems with starting wings. After double click, only black empty console window pop ups and immediately disappears. In task manager there is only erl.exe process, which looks like is in idle (has only memory reserved).
I was trying to reinstall vcredist, run it in compatibility mode, reinstall Wings with admin rights. I've tried older versions, but these also stopped working. It looks like something is wrong with starting Erlang applications, only 1.5.x versions are affected - 1.4.x works fine.
Any ideas what can I also try to fix this?

Cheers,
muddy

RE: Cant run my copy of WIngs 3D. - micheus - 06-02-2014

(06-02-2014, 12:05 AM)muddy Wrote: I haven't use Wings for a long time and I was hoping it will run on Win 8.1. Fortunately even latest version (1.5.3) was working fine, until now :/
Are you saying that it was running on Windows 8.1 and then suddenly it stopped working?
If so, maybe you could check if there were any windows updates these days.

RE: Cant run my copy of WIngs 3D. - Guha5277 - 06-02-2014

Good news! Wings 3D work fine at my ASUS T100A netbook with Win 8.1 ver.

I've checked this, only defender definitions updates was installed. Meantime I've updated only redistributables, so I was thinking maybe this caused problem. But after reinstall, using version attached to Wings, problem still exists.

(06-02-2014, 03:43 PM)muddy Wrote: But after reinstall, using version attached to Wings, problem still exists.
You are talking about to force install the vcredist present in the installer dialog, right?! That would be another suggestion I had for you.

Just for try, couldn't you disable the Defender or something like it and try to run Wings3d again.

Also, use Windows Explorer and try to find any *.dump file (would be for Wings or Erlang).

I mean, I uninstalled all redists which I've found in "Program and features", restarted system and then installed Wings with optional vcredist in installer dialog. I've also removed all wings registry keys. Windows defender is disabled, also firewall and other that kind of software. No dumps found :/ It looks like its even not starting in erlang environment (if I'm correct).
1.4.x works fine. The main difference between 1.4.x and 1.5.x versions is that the newer one doesn't start with additional window (erlang log)? Can I run Wings with kind of additional parameter, debug or something "safe mode"? I'm not programmer so maybe I'm saying bullshits Wink
Anyway, thank you for helping Smile

(06-02-2014, 10:37 PM)muddy Wrote: It looks like its even not starting in erlang environment (if I'm correct).
If you find the werl.exe running in the Task Manager it was started. Wink

Quote:The main difference between 1.4.x and 1.5.x versions is that the newer one doesn't start with additional window (erlang log)?
It's the "Erlang console" and it was removed (hidden) recently.

Quote:Can I run Wings with kind of additional parameter, debug or something "safe mode"?
Yeah. You can try start wings by the command line so you will have the Erlang console back. Maybe it can stays opened after the crash and you can see any message on it.

Use the windows Prompt console for that (cmd.exe) and enter a line like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\wings3d_1.5.3\bin\werl.exe" -run wings start_halt -extra "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming"

I used the directory for the current preferences file, but you can use any other as you can see in the dgud's post.